Sign in with
Your question
Solved

EVGA GTX 670 or wait for GIGABYTE GTX 670?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2012 12:09:17 AM

As of the moment of this writing, Newegg's got the regular $399.99 EVGA GTX 670 in stock while GIGABYTE's GTX 670 is still out of stock. The gigabyte just seems amazing with high factory overclocks, what seems to be superior cooling, and I've heard great things about it. However, EVGA is still a very reliable and good brand for graphics cards, correct? (I've owned a couple EVGA GTX 560 Ti). Basically, just how good or better is the gigabyte really? And is it worth it to wait for it to be restocked WHENEVER that may be... or just go with the evga right away? (I don't want to wait say weeks or months just to get a graphics card when I can still get a great one, but at the same time I can try and wait if the ggiabyte is really worth it)

EVGA 02G-P4-2670-KR GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 12:32:18 AM

I think you'll be fine with the EVGA. Gigabyte's card will run a little cooler, yes, but it's also louder, and the temperature difference isn't huge. EVGA's a good brand. Go for it.
m
l
May 15, 2012 12:40:33 AM

I also heard that gigabyte has the 680 PCB as well as having 6+2 pin enabling more power = higher overclocking (is this true?) which btw I do intend to overclock if thats a factor haha, although there really isn't any official GTX 670 roundup benchmarks on individual cards, or comparisons I have seen some possibly unreliable sources claiming that the gigabyte overclocks amazing - better than other cards and reaching over 680 performance. At the same time I don't doubt that EVGA can't reach this feat as well but I wonder just how much better gigabyte really can be.
m
l
Related resources
May 15, 2012 12:44:37 AM

The gigabyte will have more stable overclocks then the EVGA card just because of the 6+8 pin connector, It is also Colder and not loud. I love my Gigabyte card but I never buy reference style coolers
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 12:51:59 AM

You're not going to run out of power. You'll run out of stability first (please don't overvolt significantly). No OCed 670 will match an OCed 680.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 12:58:13 AM

I went with EVGA, card should be here tomorrow and i'll be able to find out how beastly it is
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:01:53 AM

kajabla said:
You're not going to run out of power. You'll run out of stability first (please don't overvolt significantly). No OCed 670 will match an OCed 680.

Yea, I know, and I actually don't plan on messing with voltage if I can help it just straight up clock speeds. And sorry for not specifying, I mean to say OCed 670 besting 680 stock
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:03:07 AM

Rockdpm said:
I went with EVGA, card should be here tomorrow and i'll be able to find out how beastly it is

Haha, I have no doubt on the "beastliness" of it let alone any gtx 670 just having a hard time determining gigabyte's worth - especially at the same price
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:05:04 AM

I don't think you can go wrong either way honestly. They're both fine cards. With that said, I bought the Gigabyte card on release day. I preferred the OC and custom cooling solution at the same price point. The Gigabyte card has been popping in and out of stock, so if you moderately camp Newegg and Amazon you should be able to order one sooner rather than later. I saw the Gigabyte card in stock on Newegg early this morning in fact (it's oos as I type this though). I'd expect your wait won't be too long if you're leaning towards the Gigabyte offering.
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:09:17 AM

i know how we all love to OC everything we can but really what software or even game is out there to justify over clocking a GTX 670? Get the EVGA and have fun playing Diablo 3.
m
l

Best solution

a c 143 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:12:33 AM

Overclocking potentiality differs from one card to another of course, depends on the custom PCB and power phases provided to the card.

The EVGA can be OCed to the levels of the Gigabyte easily, but the Gigabyte will allow more OCing headroom that will be hard for the EVGA to achieve.

Most of the reference GTX 670/680 have a limited OCing ceiling due to the PCB and power limitations Unlike the Asus DC II GTX 680 which was OCed to 1225 MHz.

Gigabyte hit 64C @ full load, while the EVGA hit 78C. personally I'd wait for the Gigabyte or any non ref card.
May 15, 2012 1:15:00 AM

Jaywill said:
I don't think you can go wrong either way honestly. They're both fine cards. With that said, I bought the Gigabyte card on release day. I preferred the OC and custom cooling solution at the same price point. The Gigabyte card has been popping in and out of stock, so if you moderately camp Newegg and Amazon you should be able to order one sooner rather than later. I saw the Gigabyte card in stock on Newegg early this morning in fact (it's oos as I type this though). I'd expect your wait won't be too long if you're leaning towards the Gigabyte offering.

Really? Must have missed it I'm on auto-notify now, hopefully you're right and I'll be able to nab one soon then - I honestly thought they've been OOS since release day haha
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:16:36 AM

mmilner1 said:
i know how we all love to OC everything we can but really what software or even game is out there to justify over clocking a GTX 670? Get the EVGA and have fun playing Diablo 3.

actually, according to reviews of the gtx 670, it actually picked up a respectable increase in FPS in some games, overtaking stock 680 in some
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:18:12 AM

ilysaml said:
Overclocking potentiality differs from one card to another of course, depends on the custom PCB and power phases provided to the card.

The EVGA can be OCed to the levels of the Gigabyte easily, but the Gigabyte will allow more OCing headroom that will be hard for the EVGA to achieve.

Most of the reference GTX 670/680 have a limited OCing ceiling due to the PCB and power limitations Unlike the Asus DC II GTX 680 which was OCed to 1225 MHz.

Gigabyte hit 64C @ full load, while the EVGA hit 78C. personally I'd wait for the Gigabyte or any non ref card.

That's what I figured - I personally really want to get a non-ref card particularly the Gigabyte as well, ideally anyway despite EVGA still being great
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:19:48 AM

Gigabyte, Asus, MSI, Galaxy..all of those when they come with non ref cards will be great not the Gigabyte specifically, the Gigabyte was just the fastest non ref model around using the Windforce cooler.
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:36:58 AM

well the EVGA went out of stock again - a galaxy is the only 670 left in stock at newegg haha
m
l
a c 143 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 2:44:38 AM

You can wait. Good Luck with your purchase.
m
l
May 21, 2012 3:04:12 AM

Best answer selected by mgoon11.
m
l
!