BIOS does not recognise RAM

tribeqa

Honorable
May 21, 2012
Hello, I posted a question earlier, but still could not find a solution.

My BIOS only recognizes one Memory module and does not recognize the second. I have G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL (2x4GB) DDR3

Both sticks are recognized when slotted into the first RAM slot but are not recognized when slotted in the second slot. Is there anyway I can fix this issue
without having to replace my motherboard?

(It recognized both RAMs when it was built (roughly a month ago) and I have been getting BSODs recently in the last few weeks and I noticed that it only recognized one Memory module.)

Thank you.

tribeqa

Honorable
May 21, 2012
I am currently running the RAM test on one of my slots (working one)
and it is giving me over 550k errors and zero passes.

Does this mean I have a faulty RAM or faulty slot?

G

Both sticks are recognized when slotted into the first RAM slot but are not recognized when slotted in the second slot.
:heink:

s3anister

Distinguished
May 18, 2006

It most definitely sounds like your motherboard is failing. Get it RMA'd or buy a new one. Unfortunately, you RAM could be bad too, I've had motherboards fry all kinds of components.

Ideally if you can test your RAM on another compatible board or get other DDR3 RAM and test it on your motherboard you'd be able to pinpoint what is going on.

Also, we really need to know what motherboard and chipset you're using plus the CPU you have installed as it is vital to know if your CPU has an integrated memory controller or if the memory controller is on the motherboard. Specifically, why we need to know this because if the memory controller is on the CPU, then the CPU could be the defective part or worst case scenario, faulty as well.

tribeqa

Honorable
May 21, 2012

I am testing my other Memory module in the same slot (say slot A) The first RAM over 600k errors and this second one doesn't have any errors so far and have five passes.

I will test out the good RAM in the second slot and see if it's working properly.

My motherboard is H77M Asrock Motherboard and my CPU is Intel i3450.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011

There you go. One bad stick. I'd speak with the RAM company about sending that stick in for a replacement. It should be under warranty.