Fatanarexic

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011
hey so i just built my new computer over the holiday so its brand new. Already i have had 2 Blue screens of death alerts while playing bf3. I don't have an issue with long nights watching movies or doing homework or any task like that. I've played TOR for hours and no problem at all. Is there a way to recover what the Blue screen said so i can upload it and try to figure out whats wrong? Please help im worried i already damaged a component.

i5 2500k
ASUS p8z68v gen3
HD 5970
Samsung 128 SSD
Seagate 1Tb HDD
8gb G. Skills Sniper 1.25v low voltage RAM

Well is there anything you can read on the screen from the BSOD.. i just re-built my computer with new parts and within a week after everything done, i had a BSOD. havnt had any since i deleted the software that most likely caused it (Lesson Learned:Don't install a Dev kit unless you know what your doing). Could be your RAM, Low voltage isnt exactly the best. Sure it saves a few bit herre and there of energy. but.....If your ram is trying to max its self out it could have been Power hungry not getting enough power playing Bf3. Even tho this is a hard thing to believe RAM can have many reasons behind it for causing BSOD. most BSOD are odd and wierd occurances at random points. Whether the Computer auctually has any hardware issues. Could be just a simple fix like mine was. Deletion of unneeded software.

Fatanarexic

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2011

Idk if this answers the RAM question but i ran the windows 7 memory diagnostic and it didn't come up with any issues. But going along with your software theory, how did you know which software was the culprit? :) as previously said i get it while playing bf3. Im debating trying to force another blue screen so i can get more information on whats wrong and have an idea of how to fix it

coverfire_68

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2011
Lookup windows debugging tools and then in your c:\windows\minidump is the info you need. Once you plug in the minidump files into the windows debugging tool it will give you a clearer picture of what the issue is.

Skippy27

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2009
I just did up directions for my team.

Download Windows Debugging Tool
Below file was obtained from: http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=8279

Double-click the above file to install.
Follow prompts, but unselect all components EXCEPT the Debugging Tools for Windows under the Common Utilities section.
It will download around 65.2mbs and complete the install.

Create Shortcut
Go to C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x86) and create a shortcut to the WinDbg.exe file on your desktop or your QuickLaunch

Using the Microsoft Symbol Server with WinDbg
To use the Symbol Server Web site from within WinDbg, follow these steps:
1. Create a folder in the root of C:\ called Symbols
2. Start the Windows Debugger (WinDbg.exe).
3. On the File menu, click Symbol File Path.
4. In the Symbol path box, type the following command:
Srv*C:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
The debug symbols are downloaded to this location as they need them (can get large over time)
Note You can point to any local path or share that your computer can reach; it does not have to be a location on the computer's hard disk

Load a Minidump
To open and look at a dump to find the possible cause:
1 Launch WinDbg.exe
2 Hit CTRL+D and go to the dmp file you want to open
3 Let it run and when it is complete you see something like the below with it indicating the probable cause (ely6032.sys in this case).
You dont see this picture, but it will basically tell you what it thinks is causing the problem. If it is heat, as I suspect in your case it could be anything in here.

• Search google for file if you are not familiar with it.

4 Hit SHIFT+F5 to stop the dump and to open another.