Sign in with
Your question
Solved

New Build Not Working, CPU Cooler and RAM

Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2012 1:34:50 AM

This is my first build. I got all the parts yesterday, and built into the night. The build went well, and then I tried to power it up. The motherboard light went on and was green, the GPU power lights were green, and the case fans were spinning and lighting up. The only thing that was not working was the CPU fan. The monitor displayed nothing, whether I plugged it into the GPU or the motherboard. This morning, I continued to try and fix it. I unplugged the GPU and removed it from the case and replugged the CPU fan into the motherboard. The fan started, but the ram error light lit up red. Still no display. I pressed the MEMOK button, and the red light flashed but did not fix the problem. I checked the motherboard user’s manual, and the ram was not listed, so I got new RAM today. I put the RAM in, and the CPU fan would not start. Really no idea why this is happening, any help is greatly appreciated! :) 

System Specs:
Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LK
CPU: Core i7 3770K
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB
GPU: Asus GTX 680 DirectCU 2 TOP
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB
HDD: Western Digital 1TB Caviar Green
Case: NZXT Phantom 410
PSU: Cooler Master 850W Silent ProM
CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Gaia
Optical Drive: Basic DVD Burner (Not sure of brand)

Best solution

a c 218 à CPUs
a c 180 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 3:37:14 AM

Did you plug in the 8 pin cpu power connector that is next to the cpu socket it's on the left side near the top left corner and is the blue 8 pin socket. You want to make sure that your pluging in the cpu power connector and not the 8 pin Pci-e power connector. They should be labeled on the cable.
I hope you were careful with the cpu when you put it in the socket and didn't bend any of the pins.
You also want to make sure that the ram sticks and the video card are seated all the way into thier respective slots.
One thing that you may have to eventualy consider is a defective motherboard if you still can't get it to work after checking these things and whatever else is suggested.
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 4:18:09 AM

Stick your RAM in harder!
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2012 4:20:47 AM

inzone said:
Did you plug in the 8 pin cpu power connector that is next to the cpu socket it's on the left side near the top left corner and is the blue 8 pin socket. You want to make sure that your pluging in the cpu power connector and not the 8 pin Pci-e power connector. They should be labeled on the cable.
I hope you were careful with the cpu when you put it in the socket and didn't bend any of the pins.
You also want to make sure that the ram sticks and the video card are seated all the way into thier respective slots.
One thing that you may have to eventualy consider is a defective motherboard if you still can't get it to work after checking these things and whatever else is suggested.

What is the difference between the two connectors? I can't tell them apart! I don't think I bent the pins, i was careful and did not touch them. I have ensured the RAM and the video card are seated, and there is no problem there. I will wait and see about the defective motherboard. Thanks for the reply!
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 4:25:36 AM

crewton said:
Stick your RAM in harder!

That's what she said!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

Seriously, though, how did you install your CPU cooler? Did you install it with the metal plate facing the motherboard or did you have the rubber part of the base plate facing the motherboard? Installing the cooler the wrong way on an Intel build can cause it to short out and then even if you do get it started you'll get a repeating boot loop - I've had that happen on a couple of occasions.
m
l
a c 218 à CPUs
a c 180 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 4:45:08 AM

There should be labels on the cables to let you know which is the Pci-e and which is the cpu power.
m
l
July 8, 2012 5:08:03 AM

g-unit1111 said:

Seriously, though, how did you install your CPU cooler? Did you install it with the metal plate facing the motherboard or did you have the rubber part of the base plate facing the motherboard? Installing the cooler the wrong way on an Intel build can cause it to short out and then even if you do get it started you'll get a repeating boot loop - I've had that happen on a couple of occasions.

How does RAM make it a "that's what she said" moment?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 5:26:38 AM

azeem40 said:
How does RAM make it a "that's what she said" moment?

I probably shouldn't repeat that here... but couldn't resist.
m
l
July 8, 2012 6:38:19 AM

Lol, fair enough.
m
l
July 8, 2012 2:36:37 PM

g-unit1111 said:

The part facing the motherboard is some kind of foam, black in color. I removed one piece of it to fit it on, like it showed in the instructions. If anyone has that cooler, we used the "Type 1" instructions in the manual. Is there a video or something that can show me if I did it wrong? Thanks for all the help!
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 462 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 2:48:53 PM

try bread boarding the mb outside the case..to check that your not shorting it out. also check the case header and reset button that you did not swap them. and the mb stuck on reset. the after market heat sinks that use metal plates. you have to put the foam spacer between the back of the mb and the top of the back plate to keep the backplate from shorting out the mb.
i also seen online that some asus mb have had dead ram slots. try one dimm and move it and see if the pc posts.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 3:02:25 PM

I would suggest just using 1 dimm for now.

According to the MB manual page 2-12
http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_LK/...

1 dimm slot A2

2 dimms slot A2 and B2

4 dimms all slots

A1 is closest to the CPU page 2-5, B2 is the farthest away

If you have a bad stick of ram: try only one stick in A2, try each stick of RAM to test / eliminate a bad stick. Then try 2 sticks in A2 and B2, then try all 4. This will eliminate a bad MB dimm slot, if this test of ram and slots lets the MB work at first and then fails.

Agree that for now to not install the video card until you get the Sytems to work with the minimum components.

I suggested the above because you stated " I unplugged the GPU and removed it from the case and replugged the CPU fan into the motherboard. The fan started, but the ram error light lit up red. Still no display"
m
l
July 8, 2012 6:08:42 PM

I got the fan to work by removing and replacing the power connection to the motherboard. Now the RAM light is red, and neither of the 2 sticks of RAM are working in the A2 slot. I used the MEMOK button each time to no effect. The model number of the RAM is CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9. Any ideas? Is it worth trying the other slots? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your continued support!!! :) 
m
l
a c 188 à CPUs
a c 462 V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 6:20:02 PM

it could be a few issues. one the mb missing the cpu code for your new cpu so that the mb cant post. (the ram controller is part of the cpu). on the higher end asus mb they have usb flash back lets you flash the bios. if the mb is trying to post is the cd-rom lights blinking?? sometime you can force flash a mb. (bios recovery). on my first asus mb i had two dead ram slots. also with the new asus mb you have to use a little foce to make sure the ram in all they way. also i seen on rog if the cpu cooler is pressed down to hard it can flex the cpu and ram traces and cause issues. also look on the back of the mb and see if your using an after market heat sink thst it not grounding out the cpu or to the case. if you got the board at local computer store or micro center see if they can toss in a sb chip..if it post then it ws the cpu code. if not then the mb a lemon.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 6:24:53 PM

BigfootGame said:
The part facing the motherboard is some kind of foam, black in color. I removed one piece of it to fit it on, like it showed in the instructions. If anyone has that cooler, we used the "Type 1" instructions in the manual. Is there a video or something that can show me if I did it wrong? Thanks for all the help!

Hard to tell if there's any videos but the foam part must be facing the motherboard or it will short out. I've had that happen a couple of times - even when I got my Z77 motherboard.
m
l
July 8, 2012 7:25:45 PM

smorizio said:
it could be a few issues. one the mb missing the cpu code for your new cpu so that the mb cant post. (the ram controller is part of the cpu). on the higher end asus mb they have usb flash back lets you flash the bios. if the mb is trying to post is the cd-rom lights blinking?? sometime you can force flash a mb. (bios recovery). on my first asus mb i had two dead ram slots. also with the new asus mb you have to use a little foce to make sure the ram in all they way. also i seen on rog if the cpu cooler is pressed down to hard it can flex the cpu and ram traces and cause issues. also look on the back of the mb and see if your using an after market heat sink thst it not grounding out the cpu or to the case. if you got the board at local computer store or micro center see if they can toss in a sb chip..if it post then it ws the cpu code. if not then the mb a lemon.

I think it has to do with the RAM, but it might be the motherboard. Any idea how to test the RAM slots other than using them all with both sticks? That is want I am doing.
m
l
July 8, 2012 7:34:50 PM

Got one stick to work in the B2 slot. When I add the second one, it gives me the red light. Thinking it could be that stick of RAM or the A2 slot. Trying the others now..... I am really happy about all the progress and thanks a bunch. Check back later for an update!!! :) 
m
l
July 8, 2012 9:46:20 PM

It was the slot. I will RMA the motherboard tomorrow and put the new one in. Will post again if something else comes up. Thanks for all your help!!! :) 
m
l
July 9, 2012 8:36:20 PM

Just put in the last screw, and everything works well. Thanks for all your help and hope to see you in a game. :)  :)  :)  :)  :) 
m
l
July 9, 2012 8:37:01 PM

Best answer selected by BigfootGame.
m
l
!