Looking for "Good Enough" Graphics Card

raxeth

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Hello,

As the title insists, I'm not looking for a top-notch card, but one that allows me to play some MMORPGs with less FPS lag/more FPS(maybe even higher settings). Currently playing all of them at low settings w/some FPS lag on integrated card.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a month BUDGET RANGE: Under $50, preferably around $40. (Range taken from prices at Amazon.com)

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Playing online MMORPGs like Dragon Nest and S4 League

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Intel (R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family and 250W PSU

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Intel Core 2 Duo E4600 @ 2.4GHz, 3.00 GB RAM, MoBo: Dell Inc. Model: 0RY007, Dell Inspiron 530s, Year 2006/7?

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Amazon

PARTS PREFERENCES: Radeon or Nvidia

OVERCLOCKING: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: This PC is around 5 years old, so I don't know if it is completely necessary to upgrade it for the kind of graphic cards I'm looking for. I've done a lot of googling and found that many other 530s users with 250W have suggested/used GT 430 and Radeon HD 5450/5570. I'm only shopping in Amazon since that is where I can use my gift cards. So overall, most of the cards would have to include Low Profile and PCI-E 2.0.
Just reminding that with my integrated card I can still play with some FPS lag, but I want to get rid of that. I don't care if if I'll still be playing in low settings. So the card I likely would get is one that can do that without blowing my PSU/PC.

I would really appreciate any help on what direction to go to. I was really thinking of just buying a GT 430, but I'm not sure if a cheaper HD 5450 is a better fit.

Thanks

Solution
G
you *may* have a problem. i really would like to recommend the GT 430 but i didn't see one in your price range.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
+1^
The HD 6450 is about the max you can use with a 250W PSU and not go over your price limit. And since you need a low profile card, you will need to pay a tiny bit more. Here are some choices from Newegg if you aren't determined to buy from Amazon. The prices are a bit lower there.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007709+600083901+600144171+600038364&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=48&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

raxeth

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Thank you both for your suggestion and comments. So I take it that the HD 6450 is not as good as the HD 5450. Does the HD 6450 have those capabilities like: Hardware T&L
Pixel Shader version 2.0/3.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0

I got these off of Sys. Req. Lab using Crysis 2 reqs. but I'm only using that just to see what this graphics cards capability has. Because there have been a few other games that I wanted to try and the main issue I saw was that I was missing Hardware T&L and Pixel/Shader Versions. Again, just inquiring about these for the HD 6450.

I may just go with the 6450 anyways seeing as it might be a safer option for my PC.

raxeth

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
Thanks, I have another question I forgot to ask.

I was reading that there was some concern about PCI-Express 2.1 x16 and PCI-Express 2.0 x16.
Is the PCI-Express 2.1 x16 compatible with my Dell(would I experience any problems) because I read a lot of people suggesting 2.0 instead.

G

you *may* have a problem. i really would like to recommend the GT 430 but i didn't see one in your price range.

Solution

raxeth

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012
@looniam I was going to go for GT 430 initially, but my concern was my PSU despite hearing it could handle it.

@clutchc Yeah, I'm still trying to find out which one I have, but so far from reading I noticed that there is a backwards compatibility, but another source says that if my MoBo hasn't been updated then it might not have 2.1 compatibility, so I've been trying to find out whether or not there is some sort of update for my MoBo or if I already have it(seeing as I've had this PC for about 5 years, maybe not).

At the moment I'm leaning towards the HD 6450, but if I can find a GT 430 for a similar price I might get that instead if I can feel safe it won't significantly harm my PC, power-wise.

raxeth

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

Of course there's still lag, I just want an upgrade to be able to overcome lag I'm getting with an integrated gpu. It still plays somewhat smooth when not much is going on, I would like to be able to be able to do more without being hindered as much by FPS lag.

tl;dr I don't mind some lag, I just want less than what I have now :p

raxeth

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

After looking at this http://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-PCI-Express-Graphics-VCGGT4301XPB/dp/B00466IP5Q/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1337060483&sr=8-5

I might go and spend several more bucks for it + it's PCI-E 2.0 which just puts my conscience at ease. Although if I do find a better deal I will go for that one, but it looks like I might just go with the GT 430 w/o having to upgrade my PSU.

Thanks for all the advice/assistance!

TRENDING THREADS