670 sli power supply unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution

Keep in mind he's buying the Gigabyte OCed card with modified connections (8-pin/6-pin) instead of two 6-pin. Given...

randomkid

Distinguished

NVidia Website itself put the power requirement of the 670 at 170W max per card. With a recommended system power requirement of 500W for single card configuration, I would say 700 as minimum for 2x670. Add 50W for overclocking to be on the safer side.

But there is also a PSU calculator that allows you to input your desired system configuration to estimate its power requirement.
http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine
It still does not have 670 in its drop down options for graphics cards but you can just enter 680 to be on the safe side. But I use this only to check if existing PSU can support the desired upgrade.

Keep in mind he's buying the Gigabyte OCed card with modified connections (8-pin/6-pin) instead of two 6-pin. Given the huge OC he wants, I'd say it's powerdraw will be closer to a reference 7970 than a 670/680

@mikem yeah... I'm just telling him that he'll need 700W to run that system minimum... OP asked how much power he needs. but yeah, I agree with you on that PSU for actual usage. nice find!

Solution

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
so your're saying that a 750w psu can do SLi with my GIGABYTE GTX 670 - which has a TDP of 550w across the system - can it handle though if I do some minor overclocking for both gpus - maybe a boost of 100 mhz each and no overclock on the cpu side?

G

Just spend alittle extra money and get a good 850 watt.If your questioning what you need then be safer spend a few extra on a bigger psu.Beats frying your whole system.

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
you know what? to the hell with an SLi 670 - I'll wait for a die-shrink nvidia pci 3.0 card maybe in the gtx 870 or something and SLi that in the future because of lower TDP and greater performance since I just purchased a nice 750w modular psu with 30 dollar rebates :D

Status
Not open for further replies.