Hard Drive slowing down entire PC?

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hi guys. I have a problem. I recently bought a new motherboard ( MSI 970A G46) and unlocked the 4th core. I tried some games and i was pretty satisfied how it runs on games like crysis 2 and BF3 but when i played the new nfs most wanted 2 it was lagging the same as when i had the 4th core locked. I tried overclocking both CPU and GPU and not a single frame more, although i have high fps the game still lags. I have a Seagate 160gb barracuda sata2 from 2007 and its the only thing i haven't replaced yet. Also when gaming the hard drive runs really hot and when i tough the side of the case where the HDD is located its hot so i think its too slow or is overheating and is bottlenecking the PC. Gonna buy a new SATA3 500gb drive soon. I feel like the drive is dying because it boots up pretty slow in the last few months and takes a hell of a time to be ready for normal use in windows and all i can hear is the HDD working, is it possible that i get lags in games and slow boot up time because of the hard drive?

Solution
Yes, it is very possible. That drive is pretty outdated, and if its getting full, of course that makes a huge difference too. A nearly full, fragmented drive can literally crawl with slowness. I am not sure about the NFS2, but you do know that not all games can make use of multiple cores, so unless the game is written to use 4 cores, unlocking the last core probably is not much help at all for most games. In your specs you also list a green drive, and while the power saving features are nice, they are not really great for performance or gaming.
Yes, it is very possible. That drive is pretty outdated, and if its getting full, of course that makes a huge difference too. A nearly full, fragmented drive can literally crawl with slowness. I am not sure about the NFS2, but you do know that not all games can make use of multiple cores, so unless the game is written to use 4 cores, unlocking the last core probably is not much help at all for most games. In your specs you also list a green drive, and while the power saving features are nice, they are not really great for performance or gaming.

Solution

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Well having lots of points doesn't mean i know everything. I have low experience with hard drives and i intend to learn about em'

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

Well half empty or full it performs the same. I feel like its going to die any moment. Windows 7 rates it at 5.7 and all my other components are above 7. CPU: 7.5, RAM: 7.9, GPU 7.8 and the hard drive is 5.7 xD

Lazar_99

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012

I'm getting a new Seagate Barracuda ST500DM002 500gb SATA3. And if anything is overheating its the drive. GPU and CPU temps are fine. I have good airflow and an aftermarket on the CPU and yet still the hard drive manages to heat up my side panel, i can't imagine how would i get burned if i touch it.