Pentax ist DL or Canon 350D

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 11, 2005 1:49:14 AM

The Pentax is 6.1mp and 1/3 cheaper than the 8 mp Canon is it worth paying
the extra or would the Pentax suffice?
Thanks...

More about : pentax ist canon 350d

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:49:15 AM

You should consider that whichever camera you choose; the camera body
is a replacible component, and that, in effect, you are buying into a
lineup of lenses.

It is my belief that right now, Canon has the better short term lens
line up and every possibility of having a better long term lens lineup.
These lenses end up costing more than the camera if you go anywhere
near the prosumer or professional lenses and collect a full range of
focal lengths.

So, look over and become familiar with the entire lineup of lenses from
all manufactures that you would consider buying a dSLR from before
making the choice of the camera itslef.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 1:49:16 AM

Hi,

As a recent purchaser of the Canon DR XT I would like to second this. After
comparing products for a solid couple of weeks it became apparent that
Nikon/Canon are safer just as far as getting lenses (and testing lenses in
my local shops!). Plus they both have lenses that work on their higher end
DSLRs (so the body is really replaceable), and their new lenses are making a
commitment to the form factor they already have (e.g. the EF-S lenses).

Chris

<MitchAlsup@aol.com> wrote in message
> You should consider that whichever camera you choose; the camera body
> is a replacible component, and that, in effect, you are buying into a
> lineup of lenses.
>
> It is my belief that right now, Canon has the better short term lens
> line up and every possibility of having a better long term lens lineup.
> These lenses end up costing more than the camera if you go anywhere
> near the prosumer or professional lenses and collect a full range of
> focal lengths.
>
> So, look over and become familiar with the entire lineup of lenses from
> all manufactures that you would consider buying a dSLR from before
> making the choice of the camera itslef.

August 11, 2005 2:04:23 AM

On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:49:14 GMT, "Peter" <Lopy@dj.com.au.> wrote:

>The Pentax is 6.1mp and 1/3 cheaper than the 8 mp Canon is it worth paying
>the extra or would the Pentax suffice?
>Thanks...

"Suffice" for what? What are your photographic goals?

"It is a good thing to read books, and need not be a
bad thing to write them, but in any case, it is a
pious thing to collect them."

Fredrick Locker-Lampson
(1821-1895)
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 5:00:50 AM

MitchAlsup@aol.com wrote:
> You should consider that whichever camera you choose; the camera body
> is a replacible component, and that, in effect, you are buying into a
> lineup of lenses.
>
> It is my belief that right now, Canon has the better short term lens
> line up and every possibility of having a better long term lens lineup.
> These lenses end up costing more than the camera if you go anywhere
> near the prosumer or professional lenses and collect a full range of
> focal lengths.
>
> So, look over and become familiar with the entire lineup of lenses from
> all manufactures that you would consider buying a dSLR from before
> making the choice of the camera itslef.

True, but...Pentax takes every early Pentax mount, except screw thread
types (and there are adapters for those). I've just ordered a low cost
16mm Zenitar fisheye for use on my *istD. It will work manually, but it
will work. Not a real problem for me, as before I started working
digital, I used only manual cameras, and, on the D, there's not much to
re-set to get it right.

Of course, the same lens is available in Nikon and Canon manual mounts,
if those mounts will work on the current crop of digital cameras.

It's also a good idea to remember that Pentax is sort of the ignored
stepchild when it comes to mounts on new lenses from Tamron, Sigma and
others. Tamron's new 11-18mm, which I want pretty badly, may not be out
in a Pentax mount for months after the Canon and Nikon mounts hit the
market.
August 11, 2005 6:44:06 AM

So does Pentax. And you can use ALL Pentax former lenses from years back on
ALL Pentax models (not possible on other brands as far as I know). See:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/

and also:

http://themotec.com/photo/plensesexplained.htm
http://www.phred.org/pentax/lensgal/
http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/pentax.shtml#Pentax
http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html

Jean.

Plus they both have lenses that work on their higher end
> DSLRs (so the body is really replaceable), and their new lenses are making
> a commitment to the form factor they already have (e.g. the EF-S lenses).
>
> Chris

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 6:44:07 AM

JD <no.spam.jdon@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> So does Pentax. And you can use ALL Pentax former lenses from years back on
> ALL Pentax models (not possible on other brands as far as I know). See:
>
> http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/
>
> and also:
>
> http://themotec.com/photo/plensesexplained.htm
> http://www.phred.org/pentax/lensgal/
> http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/pentax.shtml#Pentax
> http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html

Also:

<http://stans-photography.info/&gt;
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 9:53:21 AM

"Paul Mitchum" <usenet@mile23.c0m> wrote in message
> JD <no.spam.jdon@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
>> So does Pentax. And you can use ALL Pentax former lenses from years back
>> on
>> ALL Pentax models (not possible on other brands as far as I know). See:
>>
>> http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/
>>
>> and also:
>>
>> http://themotec.com/photo/plensesexplained.htm
>> http://www.phred.org/pentax/lensgal/
>> http://www.photodo.com/prod/lens/pentax.shtml#Pentax
>> http://www.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html
>
> Also:
>
> <http://stans-photography.info/&gt;

And go for the Ds not the Dl.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 7:36:39 PM

"Charlie Self" <charliediy@aol.com> wrote in message

> MitchAlsup@aol.com wrote:
>> You should consider that whichever camera you choose; the camera body
>> is a replacible component, and that, in effect, you are buying into a
>> lineup of lenses.
>>
>> It is my belief that right now, Canon has the better short term lens
>> line up and every possibility of having a better long term lens lineup.
>> These lenses end up costing more than the camera if you go anywhere
>> near the prosumer or professional lenses and collect a full range of
>> focal lengths.
>>
>> So, look over and become familiar with the entire lineup of lenses from
>> all manufactures that you would consider buying a dSLR from before
>> making the choice of the camera itslef.
>
> True, but...Pentax takes every early Pentax mount, except screw thread
> types (and there are adapters for those). I've just ordered a low cost
> 16mm Zenitar fisheye for use on my *istD. It will work manually, but it
> will work. Not a real problem for me, as before I started working
> digital, I used only manual cameras, and, on the D, there's not much to
> re-set to get it right.
>
> Of course, the same lens is available in Nikon and Canon manual mounts,
> if those mounts will work on the current crop of digital cameras.
>
> It's also a good idea to remember that Pentax is sort of the ignored
> stepchild when it comes to mounts on new lenses from Tamron, Sigma and
> others. Tamron's new 11-18mm, which I want pretty badly, may not be out
> in a Pentax mount for months after the Canon and Nikon mounts hit the
> market.

Like the 50-500 from Sigma? Why is the HSM version of this lens unavailable
in Pentax mount? Something to do with the AF motor design being different
than on the Canon and Nikons, right?
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:20:52 PM

Dave R knows who wrote:
> "Charlie Self" <charliediy@aol.com> wrote in message
> >
> > MitchAlsup@aol.com wrote:
<snip>
> > It's also a good idea to remember that Pentax is sort of the ignored
> > stepchild when it comes to mounts on new lenses from Tamron, Sigma and
> > others. Tamron's new 11-18mm, which I want pretty badly, may not be out
> > in a Pentax mount for months after the Canon and Nikon mounts hit the
> > market.
>
> Like the 50-500 from Sigma? Why is the HSM version of this lens unavailable
> in Pentax mount? Something to do with the AF motor design being different
> than on the Canon and Nikons, right?

I had a close look at my *ist-Ds and it looks like the lens focus motor
is in the camera body.
There is a sprocket on the K-mount flange that engages with the lens
when the focus mode switcht is set to AF and retracts when set to MF.
I think that Nikon and Canon both have the focus motor in the lens and
so with each new lens you get a new motor, but with Pentax K AF lenses
the motor (aparently) can't be changed without major surgery on the
camera body.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 2:09:15 AM

dj_nme@hotmail.com wrote:

> I think that Nikon and Canon both have the focus motor in the lens and
> so with each new lens you get a new motor, but with Pentax K AF lenses
> the motor (aparently) can't be changed without major surgery on the
> camera body.

From what I remember, only Canon has a considerable percentage of their
lens range with USM (Ultrasonic) motors, which are inside the lens.
Nearly all the other camera makers (Nikon, Pentax, Minolta) with
autofocus used a motor inside the camera body to move the lens ring.
Now, the Nikon AF-S lenses use ultrasonic motors inside the lens, but
this is supported in the bigger cameras.

Example: look in http://www.jjmehta.com/products/nikonf80.html for the
Nikon F80 description. At the specifications it mentions "Integral-motor
autofocus 35mm single-lens reflex with electronically controlled
focal-plane shutter and built-in Speedlight"
Notice the "Integral-motor" part?

A more elaborate explanation is at
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,1157640,00.a... - as you can
read by this, only Canon (and Sigma, whose mount is derived from the EF
mount) have no mechanical connection between the camera body and the
lens.

Regards from hot Athens,
N.Fotis
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 7:24:40 AM

Nick Fotis wrote:
> dj_nme@hotmail.com wrote:
> >
> > I think that Nikon and Canon both have the focus motor in the lens and
> > so with each new lens you get a new motor, but with Pentax K AF lenses
> > the motor (aparently) can't be changed without major surgery on the
> > camera body.
>
> From what I remember, only Canon has a considerable percentage of their
> lens range with USM (Ultrasonic) motors, which are inside the lens.
> Nearly all the other camera makers (Nikon, Pentax, Minolta) with
> autofocus used a motor inside the camera body to move the lens ring.
> Now, the Nikon AF-S lenses use ultrasonic motors inside the lens, but
> this is supported in the bigger cameras.

That is interesting.
It also means that Pentax could do the similar thing to Nikon, such as
putting a motor into their new lenses and (possibly) use the integral
motor (in the camera) to control the one in the lens via the current
mechanical linkage.
Another possibility is that Pentax could add more electrical contacts
to (a new improved) the K AF mount flange to control a motor in the
lens.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 9:59:25 AM

frederick wrote:
<snip>
> Nikon's true AF-S lenses do not use the AF motor in the camera body.
> They are "fly by wire" like Canon USM. Apart from quiet and fast
> operation, a major advantage of this is that the manual focus ring can
> be moved to override AF - so you can use AF to focus on the subject,
> then quickly shift focus manually if desired without switching between
> AF and MF modes on the lens or body. Unfortunately, this feature is not
> on some of Nikon's cheap AF-S DX lenses, which also suffer from slow AF
> action.
> One day Nikon will release a dslr with no AF motor - to keep cost and
> weight down, and the result of this will be howls of discontent.

I'm sure the howls will be just as loud as when Canon changed from FD
to EOS mount! :-)
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 1:52:25 PM

<dj_nme@hotmail.com> wrote:

> frederick wrote:
> <snip>
> > Nikon's true AF-S lenses do not use the AF motor in the camera body.
> > They are "fly by wire" like Canon USM. Apart from quiet and fast
> > operation, a major advantage of this is that the manual focus ring can
> > be moved to override AF - so you can use AF to focus on the subject,
> > then quickly shift focus manually if desired without switching between
> > AF and MF modes on the lens or body. Unfortunately, this feature is not
> > on some of Nikon's cheap AF-S DX lenses, which also suffer from slow AF
> > action.
> > One day Nikon will release a dslr with no AF motor - to keep cost and
> > weight down, and the result of this will be howls of discontent.
>
> I'm sure the howls will be just as loud as when Canon changed from FD
> to EOS mount! :-)

Pentax K mount: Backwards compatible all the way. Forward compatible,
too, with some exceptions for lenses you don't want to buy anyway.
August 15, 2005 3:35:42 AM

dj_nme@hotmail.com wrote:
> Nick Fotis wrote:
>
>>dj_nme@hotmail.com wrote:
>>
>>>I think that Nikon and Canon both have the focus motor in the lens and
>>>so with each new lens you get a new motor, but with Pentax K AF lenses
>>>the motor (aparently) can't be changed without major surgery on the
>>>camera body.
>>
>>From what I remember, only Canon has a considerable percentage of their
>>lens range with USM (Ultrasonic) motors, which are inside the lens.
>>Nearly all the other camera makers (Nikon, Pentax, Minolta) with
>>autofocus used a motor inside the camera body to move the lens ring.
>>Now, the Nikon AF-S lenses use ultrasonic motors inside the lens, but
>>this is supported in the bigger cameras.
>

> That is interesting.
> It also means that Pentax could do the similar thing to Nikon, such as
> putting a motor into their new lenses and (possibly) use the integral
> motor (in the camera) to control the one in the lens via the current
> mechanical linkage.
> Another possibility is that Pentax could add more electrical contacts
> to (a new improved) the K AF mount flange to control a motor in the
> lens.

Nikon's true AF-S lenses do not use the AF motor in the camera body.
They are "fly by wire" like Canon USM. Apart from quiet and fast
operation, a major advantage of this is that the manual focus ring can
be moved to override AF - so you can use AF to focus on the subject,
then quickly shift focus manually if desired without switching between
AF and MF modes on the lens or body. Unfortunately, this feature is not
on some of Nikon's cheap AF-S DX lenses, which also suffer from slow AF
action.
One day Nikon will release a dslr with no AF motor - to keep cost and
weight down, and the result of this will be howls of discontent.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 5:01:23 AM

Paul Mitchum wrote:
<snip>

> Pentax K mount: Backwards compatible all the way. Forward compatible,
> too, with some exceptions for lenses you don't want to buy anyway.

That was precisely the reason why I chose to buy a Pentax ist-Ds! :-)
I was originaly attracted by the ist-D, but the large price asked for
it (compared to an EOS 300D) put me off.

What I meant was that Pentax could (maybe?) add a few more electrical
connections on the lensmount (in their next DSLR?) to make in-lens
motor (USM or HSM or whatever) lenses to AF faster than is possible
with just the current in-camera focus motor.
That mount would still be backwards compatible for all MF K-mount
lenses and still allow the use of current AF K-mount lenses, except as
MF only (assuming that the in-body motor was omitted).
Anonymous
August 16, 2005 9:57:03 PM

Isn't it said that you shouldn't just shop for a camera, but a series of
lenses? Compare the lens offerings first to decide on which camera you
want; you'll probably have the lenses longer than you'll have the camera
IMO. Is there anything even comparable to Canon L glass?
!