Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Can water cooling work on any CPU? I am going to buy a 3770k and I want to have it water cooled so I can overclock it (my motherboard is MSI P67A-G45 so it is overclocking ready correct?).

How many components do I need to water cool it? (Preferably newegg.com) My case is an Apevia X Trooper Mid Tower.

socialfox

Distinguished
Well what kind of water cooling are we talking about closed loop (pre-made) or the real water cooling where you build it yourself. Anyways water cooling pretty much works for any CPU, it just depends on your computer case and motherboard socket to ensure compatibility. If you are settling for closed loop I would urge you to reconsider and look for high end air cooling.

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I don't know what the difference is, my case has 2 circles at the end of it and it said it was water cooling compatible. Which way is better? I know of ones that require a pump inside. Please fill me in on what these different water cooling methods are.

socialfox

Distinguished
Closed loop means it is pre-made which is what you find at newegg. If you really want pre-made coolers compatible with your computer case then here are some:

Antec Kuhler 620
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209049
Antec Kuhler 920
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835209054
Corsair H60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181015
Corsair H80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181016
Corsair H100 (best pre-built water cooler I know of from Newegg)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032

If this is not the type you want let me know, there is another type which you assemble the water cooler but will cost around $200-$300

Point being made your case supports 120mm and 240mm radiators via exhaust or top.

You may not need watercooling to overclock that cpu. I have a CoolerMaster 212Evo and it cools my 4.0ghz 3770k no problem. Yeah, its not a high overclock, but I don't see the need to go any higher than that right now. Those closed loop coolers that socialfox listed are good, although I would go with a Thermaltake Water 2 Pro right now as its only 59 bucks! I just bought the Coolermaster Seidon 120M for one of my rigs and it works great, except the cpu hold down didn't fit as advertised and its a bit noisy. I only paid 35 bucks for it on sale though.

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
I was looking at the Corsair H50 but I don't see where the water/liquid goes in. Are the pre made just as good as the one you assemble or is that one better? If the pre made can keep temps the same as a stock or a Hyper 212, should I go with the one I make myself?

socialfox

Distinguished

Well the H50 will give you better temperatures than the stock. Pre-made means it does not need any maintenance, hence sometimes they are called all-in-one coolers. Anyways a custom water cooler would be much better than pre-made one or most air coolers (I could say all, but then again I do not know all of the air coolers out there :lol: ). However I do not see why you need a custom water cooler, stick to a high end air cooler or at least the H100 if you want serious overclocking without too much money.

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
The H80 has 116% and then the Antec Kuhler 620 is 135% so would the 920 have even more or is it just slight like you said? I think I might get the H80 since it has controllable fans and the software and all that.

socialfox

Distinguished

Sure but you may take a hit towards temperature since those fans are not suited for radiators. You can always adjust the speeds of the fan with the H80.

Altiris

Honorable
Jun 17, 2012
Oh okay so I'll just stick with the ones that it comes with. Where can I go to buy the liquid for it, and do I need to use the both fans, I remember you said I didn't need to use both but is it better to use 2 or do I just use one

socialfox

Distinguished

Well it's best to use both fans so it cools better, anyways no need for liquid/coolant. It is already provided and it will last you forever(long time) or it dies out. Whatever comes first :lol: