Crash to black screen requiring hard reset Windows 7 ATI

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi Toms Hardware,

OK here goes, I've had this problem for a while now, Since i bought my new graphics card - HD5970. Through several Formats and re-installs + every new CCC edition & Driver since 12.1 and I've never been able to sort it out..

My problem is; Every game i've tried to get running in Windows 7 x64 on my computer crashes to a unresponsive black screen, Ctrl+Alt+del doesn't work and requires a hard reset to be able to use my PC again. This can be anywhere from 5min to 20min into the game, Some games it crashes at exactly the same point like NFS - The run, Others like Crysis it seems to be random.
There is nothing resembling a problem in Event Viewer, I've never had a crash message.

The WEIRD thing is, I run a dual boot system with Win XP x86, Games seldom ever crash in XP, and i can solidly game for hours and hours without ever having a problem.

Currently the only apps running in Win7 when it crashes are Catalyst, Sapphire Trixx (To control the fan speed), Asus Xonar Control Panel & Logitech gaming app. (Have tried with all of these off though)

I've tried;
Reinstalling windows
Catalyst versions 12.1 through to 12.4 (With driver sweeper each time)
Changing every 3D setting in catalyst
Strict fan profiles with MSI afterburner (at first) Now Sapphire trixx (card never gets above 60-65 degrees, Idle 41-42)
Was going to flash the Bios but the bios date on the card is the same as the latest version.
Turning off overclock (of CPU)
Completely cleaned out graphics card, Replaced thermal paste
Bareboned my system.
Running the card off a different 12v rail from the PSU

I've never had this prob with a graphics card before (HD5670, HD4890)..

Specs are;

AMD 1055T (OC to 3.3Ghz)
Gigabyte GA-770TA-UD3 (latest bios)
6GB DDR3 Hynix (at 1257Mhz)
Acbel 900w PSU
Sapphire HD5970 2Gb (725/1000) Never overclocked
Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe
G19 KB & G5 Mouse
Acer G235H Monitor
3x WD Raptor 74.3gb RAID 0

Could it possibly be?;

A PSU issue? Power supply is new also bought at the same time of the card.
Some problem with DX10 OR DX11 that isn't present in DX9 games? (is there any way i can turn DX11 off in Windows 7?)
Hidden in some log of catalyst the reason why it's crashing?
A RAID issue? Have used RAID for more than a year now and haven't had any probs
Other?

Would really appreciate any help sorting this out, I have posted a few threads before & searched countless ones on google but have never been able to sort it, Have had to resort to just playing games in XP, would really like to take advantage of Win7 for gaming though. Even if you could point me to a file that has an ATI crashdump or similar I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers :)

Solution
Wow it sounds like you two have though of everything and done everything. Have check to see if you have malwear problems? Your PSU is on the Tier 3 on the do not buy list.

But it is high enough in watts for it not to matter. Have you checked your RAM? Either by memtest86+ or by taking out and test one at a time. Can you check your rig with another GPU?

Also just to rule out the PSU as well? If it happens with other cards then it could be the MOBO. Have you switched your win 7 hard drive? Sorry for all the questions. I am trying to think of stuff you might have not.

I could be your PSU since you have no way of checking it. It could be getting hot and you would never know. But something is causing it to shut down. It has to be one of...

maelduin

Honorable
May 15, 2012
I am getting this exact same problem with my HD5870. Also, to add, 3 out of 4 crashes result in some sort of error where all of my input devices (mouse/keyboard) cease to function. Any and all help/advice would be appreciated, its very frustrating.

DM186

Splendid
Wow it sounds like you two have though of everything and done everything. Have check to see if you have malwear problems? Your PSU is on the Tier 3 on the do not buy list.

But it is high enough in watts for it not to matter. Have you checked your RAM? Either by memtest86+ or by taking out and test one at a time. Can you check your rig with another GPU?

Also just to rule out the PSU as well? If it happens with other cards then it could be the MOBO. Have you switched your win 7 hard drive? Sorry for all the questions. I am trying to think of stuff you might have not.

I could be your PSU since you have no way of checking it. It could be getting hot and you would never know. But something is causing it to shut down. It has to be one of the 6 hardwear.

CPU, GPU, PSU, RAM, Hard drive, and/or MOBO. So start with the easy stuff first. The RAM. Here is the link to memtest86+ http://www.memtest.org/ plus run it for about 30min and see what happens.

Also try one stick at a time. Next one is the GPU swap it with another one or try your GPU in someones rig. Next the Hard drive you might have to buy or try it on someones rig.

Next the PSU try it in someones eles rig or try another PSU in yours. CPU , and MOBO will require a lot of work. But before you mess with them rule out the other four first.

One last question. Does anything at all happen just before it crashs? Like a screen fliker or very bad lagging? Or a sound of a fan going faster than normal? Something should tell you that it is on its way out.

Oh DX11 should run all DX10 and DX9 games. If there is a way to turn it off I don't know about it. You probley have aready tried all that I suggested but in case you haven't. Good luck

Solution
G

First of all thanks for your post DM186 awesome info thanks :)

Finally fixed it today !!!!!! woooo! (well i think so but crysis has been working the last 4 hours straight in win7)

The fix ended up being updating DirectX.. of all things - probably something i should have tried earlier :ange: Anyway I was getting the exact same problem as you maelduin most of the time to black screen, then occasionally i'd get back to Windows and KB & mouse not responding...

I tried running Crysis in dx9 mode and it ran for a bit longer before crashing so i updated DirectX (both 9 & 11 i think) using dxwebsetup.exe which autodetects what needs updating and does it for you.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=35

Voila no more crashes, finally get to take advantage of extra ram and dx10/11 I am stoked! Will post an update if crashes again but i'm pretty sure it's _finally sorted now. Thanks :)

DM186

Splendid

Good to hear that and glad you fix it I know how it feels when your rig goes down it is like losing a best friend. But glad you got it fixed so pat your self on the back for a job well done and hats off to you and good luck.

bokskhie14

Honorable
Jul 28, 2012

Hi mate,
I'm having the same problem with them, but mine is having a flickering screen before it freeze with black screen and after that i have to hard reset my laptop. It never happens before and I was using it for more than a year now, until last July 24 when I updated a windows update it started crashing after a day. I already used system restore but did not solve the problem, also i have restored my OS still I'm having the same problem.. I Hope you could help me with this, also im not good at computers so it might be cool if you could detail what should i do.
BTW I'm using a Packard Bell EasyNote TJ75 laptop..

Thanks and best regards.

DM186

Splendid

This is what you need to do. Start a thread of your own then send me a personal e-mail by clicking on the the green envelope next to my Icon. Then when it ask you for the url to the thread.

Put a copy of your new theard which is a copy of the http//www at the top of the page in the url box. That way I can go there and help you out. I can't do it on this thread since it is solved and it is in toms hardwear rules.

Do that and I and other people on here will be able to help. Good luck and see you soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.