Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Deneb CPU's...Where have they gone?

Last response: in CPUs
November 17, 2012 7:29:15 PM

Hey everyone! just curious...I really like the Deneb CPU's, however the only ones i can find online that i usually shop at only carry the AMD Phenom II x4 965 and under. I can't find a 970, or 980 anywhere. Has AMD stopped selling these CPU's? If so, then why? I thought they were great.

Oh and if you're curious, I usually shop here:

Ncix.ca and sometimes (depending what i'm looking for) bestdirect.ca

If anyone knows where i could purchase the later-more improved series of the Deneb cpu's, please provide a link.

OH btw I live in Canada, so a Canadian provider would be great :D 

More about : deneb cpu

a c 473 à CPUs
a c 119 À AMD
November 17, 2012 7:35:26 PM

AMD has ceased all production of Phenom II CPUs.

It's called "progress" or at least in the case of Phenom II's & Bulldozer performance; a side step.
Score
November 17, 2012 7:43:56 PM

jaguarskx said:
AMD has ceased all production of Phenom II CPUs.

It's called "progress" or at least in the case of Phenom II's & Bulldozer performance; a side step.

Thats a shame ): i find the deneb's to be better than the bulldozer series. Although to be frankly honest, I almost always expect someone to reply on these forums glorifying the intel cpu's. I still prefer AMD, because like some people, I'm on a budget. What AMD cpu would you recommend for gaming? And please dont reply saying " Just get an intel i---..." Because I cant stand when people instantly refer to intel when they're nearly twice-three times more expensive.
Score
November 17, 2012 7:49:23 PM

Also, for an amd CPU, I'm not much of an overclocker...What AMD CPU is decent for gaming, that doesn't require over clocking to be decent?
Score
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 17, 2012 7:50:24 PM

You will get the Intel posse shouting up but you are right, by and large PII's are better than Bd,
I'd keep trying to get a 965 or higher, after that its the FX 8XXX series chips
Moto
Score
a c 213 à CPUs
a c 133 À AMD
November 17, 2012 7:51:13 PM

MRC390 said:
Thats a shame ): i find the deneb's to be better than the bulldozer series. Although to be frankly honest, I almost always expect someone to reply on these forums glorifying the intel cpu's. I still prefer AMD, because like some people, I'm on a budget. What AMD cpu would you recommend for gaming? And please dont reply saying " Just get an intel i---..." Because I cant stand when people instantly refer to intel when they're nearly twice-three times more expensive.

LOL they are not two to three times more expensive.

An I5 3570K is equal in price to the FX 8350, but the i 5 excels at gaming compared to the AMD.

BUUUUUT if you insists. The FX 8350 is the only CPU I could suggest. The other cheaper AMD CPUs are not good enough for gaming. There per core performance is to slow.

Otherwise you could get an FX 4170 and OC the hell out of it, that would give you comparable cheaper performance close to the requirements for a gaming PC that requires longetivity from a performance standpoint.

Both of the above mentioned CPUs are not Bulldozer but Piledriver, which is quite an improvement...

EDIT : We really need your budget though and if you are planning to get a whole system?? If not what are you getting other than the CPU.

What kind of setup are you looking at?
Is it even for gaming?
Will you crossfire or SLI?
Would you like to OC or do you prefer not to?
Score
November 17, 2012 7:52:58 PM

i thought FX 4170 is Bulldozer but i agree just get a 8350
Score
November 17, 2012 7:59:18 PM

Novuake said:
LOL they are not two to three times more expensive.

An I5 3570K is equal in price to the FX 8350, but the i 5 excels at gaming compared to the AMD.

BUUUUUT if you insists. The FX 8350 is the only CPU I could suggest. The other cheaper AMD CPUs are not good enough for gaming. There per core performance is to slow.

Otherwise you could get an FX 4170 and OC the hell out of it, that would give you comparable cheaper performance close to the requirements for a gaming PC that requires longetivity from a performance standpoint.

Both of the above mentioned CPUs are not Bulldozer but Piledriver, which is quite an improvement...

EDIT : We really need your budget though and if you are planning to get a whole system?? If not what are you getting other than the CPU.

What kind of setup are you looking at?
Is it even for gaming?
Will you crossfire or SLI?
Would you like to OC or do you prefer not to?

Im looking to build an entire system, probably from ncix. I prefer not to OC, and i wil not be using corssfire or SLI. And yes its for gaming. Oh and the i5 is more expensive. Not by much, and I'm trying to keep the entire build under $850
Score
November 17, 2012 8:06:34 PM

Novuake said:
Sho OK an AMD fan that does not want to OC, that makes things difficult.

OK let me see what I can do.

xD haha. Thanks, I really appreciate it. I just never OC'd Before, and I heard that it will shorten the life of the CPU, and god knows when I'll be able to replace it xD
Score
a c 213 à CPUs
a c 133 À AMD
November 17, 2012 8:07:02 PM

MRC390 said:
Im looking to build an entire system, probably from ncix. I prefer not to OC, and i wil not be using corssfire or SLI. And yes its for gaming. Oh and the i5 is more expensive. Not by much, and I'm trying to keep the entire build under $850

Sho OK an AMD fan that does not want to OC, that makes things difficult.

OK let me see what I can do.
Score
November 17, 2012 8:09:34 PM

Also, I'm going to need a new monitor because my current one only supports VGA.
Score

Best solution

a c 213 à CPUs
a c 133 À AMD
November 17, 2012 8:43:01 PM

CPU :
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=72079&vpn=FD4170FRGUB...

Just so you are aware, here is a comprehensive comparison for price for price comparison :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4170-core-i3-322...

Mobo :
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76522&vpn=M5A97%20R2%...

PSU :
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67325&vpn=HCG-620M&ma...

RAM :
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59977&vpn=F3-14900CL9...

HDD : Not high end at all, but it will do.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=66010&vpn=ST2000DM001...

GPU :
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69492&vpn=GV-R787OC-2...

OK that comes to a total of :

You will be able to use a DVI to VGA adapter on the graphics card so you can use your current screen. You get the adapter with this graphics card.

That build leaves you with 108 for a case that you find nice. It is hard to suggest one since its an aesthetic thing. When you decide on a case, ask here to see if it is of good quality.

About the OC. A CPU live is 12+ years, when done properly you reduce its life by a very small margin, maybe a few months. Adequate cooling and patients is all that is needed. Rushing it will damage it of course.

I REALLY suggest an OC if you insist on AMD. Especially on a lower end system. Maybe not at first, but after a GPU upgrade it will be neccesary.

Games like BF3 will not run great on larger multiplayer maps with this CPU. Unfortunately you can not afford much better and going for a 6-core is pointless for gaming. The problem with AMD these days is not total performance but per core performance. As games only use a max of 4 cores(only one is BF3 I can think of), that creates a huge problem for us gamers.
November 17, 2012 8:46:02 PM

Best answer selected by mrc390.
Score
November 17, 2012 8:46:42 PM

Novuake said:
CPU :
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=72079&vpn=FD4170FRGUB...

Just so you are aware, here is a comprehensive comparison for price for price comparison :

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-4170-core-i3-322...

Mobo :
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=76522&vpn=M5A97%20R2%...

PSU :
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=67325&vpn=HCG-620M&ma...

RAM :
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=59977&vpn=F3-14900CL9...

HDD : Not high end at all, but it will do.
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=66010&vpn=ST2000DM001...

GPU :
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=69492&vpn=GV-R787OC-2...

OK that comes to a total of :

You will be able to use a DVI to VGA adapter on the graphics card so you can use your current screen. You get the adapter with this graphics card.

That build leaves you with 108 for a case that you find nice. It is hard to suggest one since its an aesthetic thing. When you decide on a case, ask here to see if it is of good quality.

About the OC. A CPU live is 12+ years, when done properly you reduce its life by a very small margin, maybe a few months. Adequate cooling and patients is all that is needed. Rushing it will damage it of course.

I REALLY suggest an OC if you insist on AMD. Especially on a lower end system. Maybe not at first, but after a GPU upgrade it will be neccesary.

Games like BF3 will not run great on larger multiplayer maps with this CPU. Unfortunately you can not afford much better and going for a 6-core is pointless for gaming. The problem with AMD these days is not total performance but per core performance. As games only use a max of 4 cores(only one is BF3 I can think of), that creates a huge problem for us gamers.

Wow this is great. Thank you so much. Just curious, why did you go with the FX series instead of a Phenom 965?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2012 8:50:08 PM

Hi :) 

The MOST powerful AMD cpu is the AMD 1100T BE... hard to find and expensive...but VERY VERY FAST...

Much better than a 965....

I use them...

All the best Brett :) 

Score
a c 213 à CPUs
a c 133 À AMD
November 17, 2012 8:51:24 PM

MRC390 said:
Wow this is great. Thank you so much. Just curious, why did you go with the FX series instead of a Phenom 965?

FX is not that bad, especially Piledriver. The Phenoms are near impossible to find and they are becoming very outdated. The FX does outperform the phenoms anyway.

Even though it is by a small margin.
Score
November 17, 2012 8:53:38 PM

also, couldn't you save 20-30 bucks by going with 1600mhz ram instead of 1866? is the difference that big?
Score
a c 213 à CPUs
a c 133 À AMD
November 17, 2012 8:59:33 PM

AMD chips scale very well with faster RAM, since RAM si so cheap it would be pointless to shave of a few bucks for quite an improvement.
Score
a c 213 à CPUs
a c 133 À AMD
November 17, 2012 9:05:33 PM

socialfox said:
Huzzah, feel the burn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjvKgj3Kb3o

The out dated Phenom 955 keeps up with the FX-4170.

YES IN CERTAIN BENCHIES. Memory controller is WAAAYYYY behind. Also did you notice FX did better in gaming? Hmmm keeping up is not enough when you are faced with newer, better tech.

Deneb is 100% unavailable or did you miss that???
Score
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2012 9:08:53 PM

Novuake said:
YES IN CERTAIN BENCHIES. Memory controller is WAAAYYYY behind. Also did you notice FX did better in gaming? Hmmm keeping up is not enough when you are faced with newer, better tech.

Deneb is 100% unavailable or did you miss that???

No I did not miss the 100% unavailable part, but there are some denebs left, but they are the lower-mid level ones. Nonetheless the FX series are good enough but still there is the 965 black edition and you could overclock it for greater performance.
Score
November 17, 2012 9:15:25 PM

thats what i was saying. for $89.99 i can get a 965 black edition quad core cpu. Would this out-perform a fx 4300?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2012 9:19:02 PM

I'll go for the 4300. Anyways consider the FX-6300, significantly better performance and only a few dollars away from the FX-4300.
Score
November 17, 2012 9:20:44 PM

should i stick with the 4300? most games do not utilise all 6 cores. Please help me decide. It seems that i'm going with a FX cpu, but which one for the best performance for gaming?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2012 9:24:42 PM

For gaming purposes only stick to the 4300 but for a few dollars it would not hurt for the 6300. Maybe in the future those extra "cores" will be put to use?
Score
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2012 9:29:12 PM

Well before we jump to video cards, let me know your screen resolution.

Edit: Wait just make a new thread in the video card threads and select it to be a discussion.
Score
November 17, 2012 9:34:36 PM

socialfox said:
Well before we jump to video cards, let me know your screen resolution.

Edit: Wait just make a new thread in the video card threads and select it to be a discussion.

Alright i'll do that later. Also my max screen resolution is 1336x768. Its just an old Black Compaq Presario Monitor that supports ONLY VGA. though the resolution is fine for me :D 
Score
November 17, 2012 10:04:58 PM

so I think i'm gonna go with

FX 4300 cpu (3.8GHZ, 95W, 8MB)

ASUS m5a97 atx mobo
GSkill sniper 8gb ram 1866mhz

Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD

Antec Eleven Hundred Performance Gaming Case

XFX 750W Modular, 80plus silver

Samsung 24X SATA DVD Writer Black
Score
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2012 10:23:16 PM

That power supply is an overkill if you ask me, also where is your video card? You don't really need one if your not gaming but if you are then you will need a discrete video card.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2012 10:33:40 PM

The Phenom II's belong in the PC Hardware Hall of Fame, I loved those chips.

By the way this Piledriver I use is no slouch either. Baby steps my friends!
Score
a b à CPUs
November 17, 2012 10:36:41 PM

+1^ finally someone who understands how good the Phenom II were back in the day :lol: 
Score
November 18, 2012 12:04:41 AM

socialfox said:
That power supply is an overkill if you ask me, also where is your video card? You don't really need one if your not gaming but if you are then you will need a discrete video card.

I went with the gpu you recommended. The radeon HD 7870
Score
November 18, 2012 12:07:43 AM

To be honest, The FX cpu's AREN'T as bad as the intel fan boys make it out to be, unfortunately, the truth is that this forum has plenty of those. The new quad core FX cpus are a step up from the Deneb. This doesn't mean the Deneb wasn't great, cus they still are.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 12:08:05 AM

Actually I did not recommend you a video card that was novuake :lol: 
Score
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 12:16:02 AM

I will say this, I would probably grab the 6300 because its only $10 more. Two extra cores, sure games right now might not use them but some actually do. If it were $30-$50 more then I could see shying away from it.

The 7870 is a good card. I have had two so far and they've both been exceptional.
Score
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 12:19:25 AM

So to answer your thread question, the Deneb processors are buried under the ground, most died out and only a few of their children are still available on the market. Unfortunately, the older ones (970,980 etc.) died a while ago but luckily they have some children left like the 955/965. :lol: 
Score
a c 103 à CPUs
a b À AMD
November 18, 2012 7:49:00 AM

My 975 on an 890Fx plate is still kicking hard, but I am looking at a 990 plate and an 8350 just for fun,

I really don't need to upgrade
Moto
Score
!