Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Static noise from speakers

Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2012 7:24:11 AM

Hi and thanks for any help.

A couple days ago I started experiencing static noise(nearly always, with brief periods of it cutting out and being replaced by a slow ticking) coming from my speakers. This happens only when it is plugged into ANY(front and back) audio jacks, so it seems this(I am assuming static) is coming from my computer. I have powered down my computer and unplugged the power cable but yet it still persists. The audio jacks connect to the motherboard(I have no separate sound card) so I am guessing there may be something wrong with my motherboard. It had previously been working fine for a couple years.

I hope I am wrong but can anyone give me any insights or conformation about this?

Speakers: Logitech 5.1 system
Motherboard: Asus P6X58D-E Socket B (LGA 1366) Motherboard
Power Supply: Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX Power Supply Unit

Thanks a bunch

More about : static noise speakers

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 7:54:56 AM

try a pair of headphones first to see if its the speakers. otherwise this tends to happen if you plug into the microphone Jack or the plug touches bare metal/grounding issues. I would disconnect the front panel connectors from the board and try the back to eliminate a.problem there (like a short/ground causing feedback).

you could also try a ferrite choke to eliminate interference

www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103222
m
l
July 8, 2012 11:51:55 AM

unksol said:
try a pair of headphones first to see if its the speakers. otherwise this tends to happen if you plug into the microphone Jack or the plug touches bare metal/grounding issues. I would disconnect the front panel connectors from the board and try the back to eliminate a.problem there (like a short/ground causing feedback).

you could also try a ferrite choke to eliminate interference

www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103222

I cannot hear the noise from the headphones, but this is most probably due to the static being too quiet to hear without the boost from the speaker power source?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
a b V Motherboard
July 8, 2012 2:06:43 PM

I'd say its more likely the speakers, although you could switch it to heaphone mode/turn it all the way up. can't see how you wouldn't hear it if it were the board.

another set of speaker around you can borrow?
July 8, 2012 8:49:14 PM

unksol said:
I'd say its more likely the speakers, although you could switch it to heaphone mode/turn it all the way up. can't see how you wouldn't hear it if it were the board.

another set of speaker around you can borrow?

Yeah will be trying that later today, thanks :) 
m
l
July 11, 2012 1:13:49 AM

Solved. Speakers were being weird with my computer; getting another set.
m
l
July 11, 2012 1:14:06 AM

Best answer selected by FireExit.
m
l
!