Which case should I get? Newbuilder

socialfox

Distinguished
Second link does not work, either way the first case in my opinion is pretty ugly and lacks a lot of features new cases these days come with. It uses 80mm fans which are okay but not as good as 120mm. In addition it looks like it has no cable management.

You are looking at two cases which have included power supplies. I will advise against that but if you feel you must go that route, at least look at Antec cases since they are a reputable brand for PSU's and your chances of getting a decent PSU are greatly enhanced - Rosewill seems to have good PSU's also so that may be an option. Again, I do recommend against that route.

marioman99878

Honorable
Aug 25, 2012
I'm in a really tight budget build so if you can find a case and a power supply for $40 or under that would be awesome because I'm ok with upgrading in the future. This is all I really want for now.

I have been there on a few occassions but, we bring you this warning because a poorly made PSU can put your other components at risk. Everything that happens within your computer is dependant upon clean, stable power from the PSU - if it cannot provide that, could be that nothing else works right. The dirtier the power distributed by the PSU, the faster other components wear. Okay, now that you are aware of the why's of our concern.
If limited to a choice of those two case/PSU's - I like the Topower better - please do not take that as an endorsement but, of the two...

mrks

Honorable
Nov 6, 2012

"Dirty power"? Sounds like bro science. Electricity is electricity brah, It just depends on if its delivered to the components properly or not.

Although commonly associated with AC power, ripple in a DC environment has the following effects, best described by Phaedrus2129 at Overclock.net
http://www.overclock.net/t/719397/on-ripple-and-its-effects-on-overclocking
"The ATX specification sets these limits on computer PSU ripple levels:

+12V - 120mV
+5V - 50mV
+3.3V - 50mV
+5VSB - 120mV
-12 - 120mV

My personal preference is to see numbers in or under this range:

+12V - 80mV
+5V - 30mV
+3.3V - 30mV
+5VSB - 50mV
-12V - 80mV

Any power supply which has ripple outside of those proscribed by the ATX specifications can and will cause short term hardware damage (over a period of days to months, depending). Anything outside of my preferences may cause long-term reliability degradation and other issues, though it won't damage your hardware in the short term."
Not all PSU's can stay within those ranges and those are the one's that fail legitimate reviews by the likes of JonnyGuru, HardOCP, AnandTech and HardwareSecrets which is why the advise against unknown PSU's.