kool_kid_86

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
On Cyber Monday, I'm planning to pick up a PSU and a Thor V2 case to complete my build. I was thinking of a 750 watt PSU (doesn't have to be modular as the Thor V2 has plenty of space to hide the cables). I'm CrossFiring and overclocking 7950s, and also overclocking my i5-3570k.

I'm looking for a list of 750w PSUs so I can pick one up when I see the sale on Monday. I have compiled a list of what I think are solid PSUs, but I am wondering if there are any other good ones, or if the ones I have picked out are not very good.

In addition, I am wondering what are the differences between the Corsair AX/CX/HX/TX lines? On the forums, people keep suggesting to get a Corsair PSU, but never suggest which line.

Thank you ahead of time!

XFX ProSeries 750
Corsair AX750
Corsair HX75
Corsair TX750M
Silverstone Strider Plus 750
Antec TP-750
Antec HCG 750

This will be my first computer I am putting together by myself. I also want to make sure that there are enough power cable slots (i think that is what it is called) that comes with the PSU for two 7950s, 5 case fans, 3 7200 hard drives, and 1 SSD.

EDIT - I'll be purchasing from NCIX and Memory Express.

socialfox

Distinguished

kool_kid_86

Honorable
Nov 10, 2012
Unfortunately I live on the West coast. That's alrite though, because MemoryExpress and NCIX has a price match policy :)

I appreciate the list you compiled for me. Just waiting for feedback from others so I will have more information to play with.

How are the PSUs I have selected?

fuzg13z

Honorable
Aug 5, 2012
I live in Canada too.. I use CanadaComputers and NCIX, I'm near 2 CanadaComputers outlets but the nearest NCIX outlet is 2 hours away -_- I like NCIX's selection as they carry more brands but CC is more convenient for me. Those are all great PSUs btw, you'll do fine with XFX, Corsair, Seasonic, Antec and other quality brands. Make sure you get one with plenty of amperage on the 12v rail and 80+ certified is always good. :) My case has a side window so I wanted XFX's black edition modular PSU as it's quite aesthetically pleasing but my OCZ came on a huuuge sale that I couldn't pass up. $90, regulary $280 for 1000w gold+ :D

G

In addition, I am wondering what are the differences between the Corsair AX/CX/HX/TX lines? On the forums, people keep suggesting to get a Corsair PSU, but never suggest which line.

because people will make suggestions based on "popular wisdom" without checking facts/specs. :)

if you really are curious as for the differences:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

some have differnt OEM (who actually makes the PSU) but most of the differences are whether or not is modular, hybid or non modular and the bronze, silver or gold certified.

btw, my most favorite PSU you listed is the XFX.
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page625.htm

G

not by as much as you want to elude to :lol:

hey you try that new game, far cry yet?

edit: i'm dying here, you tell someone to get in today with your 3 year old crappy config'd crossfire hardware . . your a gem!

cmcghee358

Distinguished

I think you're still missing the point. My hardware was purchased years ago, I have no qualms about my hardware or it's performance. What I'm saying is, in damn near 2013 why would anyone buy a Seasonic PSU that is BRONZE. BRONZE used to be the standard, that time has passed. I wouldn't consider a new build with BRONZE as my baseline.

Moreover, the OP reference many PSUs, most of which were at least Silver, some of which were GOLD. So to suggest a Seasonic, quote it as the best PSU maker, then link to an old BRONZE PSU is stupid. Especially considering the irony of the fact that Seasonic themselves have said they won't make anymore BRONZE PSUs, and the industry has moved beyond that specification as the standard. Interestingly enough they stated that over a YEAR AGO. Seasonic Link

So feel free to look down your nose at MY build, but everything in MY build is top quality picked out with care. I could launch into a diatribe about your build but this isn't the place for it, nor is it even polite. My opinion about the suggestion to the OP was so that he got the best hardware for his new build, nothing more.

G

not missing any point; i'll agree that a gold rated is better than a bronze (esp. the seasonic X series which have phenomenal low load efficiency) when it is affordable in the OPs budget.. however had you cared to at least look, all the PSUs the OP posted were in the $100-$150 price range, so maybe a $200 PSU suggestion is not appropriate? is it worth spending 30%-100% more for 0%-5% better efficiency?

now it is very nice to advocated standards that are hoped to be achieved by the Climate Savers Computing Initiative. but it is an idea and not a basis to insult someone's intelligence by calling them stupid for not following a third party's goal. nor a reason to state:
Let's step into 2011 at least
because as far as a "baseline" (meaning minimum accepted standards) 80+, not even bronze, is the still the standard. (edit: regardless of what seasonic says in their PR) btw, so who is "looking down their nose"?

so with that said, please go ahead and go into a diatribe about my rig. i'll find it highly enjoyable and not rude. because as i may experience 80% of the performance in gaming and 0%-7% difference in applications; i'll know that i carefully picked my components and spent 30%-50% of what you did for your epeen waving components. :)

cheers.