Upgrading from a GTX 460 to a GTX 670. Bottleneck?

imunreal

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Well, as title says I am planning on upgrading from a GTX 460 to a GTX 670. Massive upgrade so I was wondering if my system will be bottlenecked.

I plan on buying my new graphics card in July with a max of £500. I usually buy my parts off Scan or Novatech. With such a graphics card, I will continue to play a lot of games (such as BF3, TSW, Skyrim and etc) but I use 3D Vision so it has to be an Nvidia card. I don’t really plan on overclocking my graphics card much and I don’t want to SLI or plan on going Surround Vision.

Well my current system is:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home 64 bit
Processor: Intel i5 CPU 760 @ 2.80GHz (4 CPUs), OC'd to roughly ~3.3GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM DDR3 @ ~1600MHZ
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 460
Monitor: Samsung Syncmaster 2233RZ 22" @ 1680 x 1050
PSU: Coolermaster Silent Pro 700W

I know my CPU is not the greatest, and more than likely my system will be bottlenecked but by how much?

imunreal

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009

Yea, would need a better CPU cooler for that though. Maybe get a lower end GTX 670 and buy a better CPU cooler.

sunnk

Distinguished
get this card with good cooling and overclocking as all of us know that.:)

http://www.novatech.co.uk/products/components/nvidiageforcegraphicscards/nvidiagtx670keplerseries/gtx670-dc2-2gd5.html

review

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GeForce_GTX_670_Direct_Cu_II/9.html

for cpu cooler get this.:)

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/coolermaster-hyper-212-evo-4-heat-pipes-direct-contact-with-120mm-quiet-fan-lga775-1155-1156-1366-am

you will get both of these under 400 with in your budget.:)

overclock your cpu to 3.8ghz and then you are good to go goodluck.:)

imunreal

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Wow thanks for the replies :) its comforting to know that I do not need to upgrade my CPU or PSU.

I think I will be going for the GPU Refillable linked and the cooler Sunnk linked.

Oh no, infact you could probably handle two 670's on that power supply. But as your system is now, It most likely wouldn't bottleneck. now even if it does. You can get a cheap hyper *** from Cooler master and overclock 200 more mhz

Almost all balanced systems will bottleneck from time to time. Especially with that resolution. I'm telling you this so you don't come back complaining that you are getting low minimum FPS in BF3, or that you get large dips in towns when playing Skyrim, or that large battles in Starcraft II brings your system to its knees still.

Bottlenecking is just a reality of gaming. Depending on the game, you may see some bottlenecking. That doesn't mean it's not the right card for you.

If you play demanding games, like BF3, Metro 2033, Crysis, The Witcher 2, fully patched Crysis 2 and the like, a 670 will be welcomed, as they stress the GPU a lot. Just realize that your CPU will occasionally bottleneck you.

imunreal

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2009
Yea I get what you are saying Bystander, but was mainly wondering if, well, I would get more frames if I was to buy a 2500k and a GTX 580 instead of just buying a GTX 670.

Hell, would be surprised if my computer doesnt get a random frame rate drop in BF3 :p

hapkido

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
If you're not planning on buying until July, it's really early to start looking for parts. A lot is going to change in 45+ days. One week is plenty of time to research what to buy.

Slightly better framerate in CPU-intensive games, yes - because a 580 will also max out most any game at your resolution. IMO get the 670 and upgrade to Haswell i5 next year :)