How to change Windows XP's Internet Time to check more oft..

Ant

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

Hello!

I noticed once a week is not enough since my computer's time seems to
get off from the atomic time by a few minutes after a few days. Is there
a way to decrease the time limit to check and adjust my computer's
clock? It looks like Windows checks once a week unless I do it manually.
I wish to avoid third party programs and hoping there is a registry
tweak to change this.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith, keeping it awake and
moving." --Fredrick Beuchner
| |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
\ _ / post): philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
( )
Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: Victoria Silvstedt
- Hello Hey (Radio Edit)

"Ant" <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote in message
> Hello!
>
> I noticed once a week is not enough since my computer's time seems to get
> off from the atomic time by a few minutes after a few days. Is there a way
> to decrease the time limit to check and adjust my computer's clock? It
> looks like Windows checks once a week unless I do it manually. I wish to
> avoid third party programs and hoping there is a registry tweak to change
> this.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith, keeping it awake and
> moving." --Fredrick Beuchner
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
> | |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
> \ _ / post): philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> ( )
> Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: Victoria Silvstedt -
> Hello Hey (Radio Edit)

You can change the frequency of checking the time through the internet.

Go to start and run and type

regedit

navigate to the following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\NtpClient
In the right pane select SpecialPollInterval and right-click and select
"Modify".

The value is in seconds. Enter the number of seconds you would like to
update to the correct time. If you want every hour then it would be 3600
seconds, daily would be 86400 seconds.

--
William

map

"Ant" wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I noticed once a week is not enough since my computer's time seems to
> get off from the atomic time by a few minutes after a few days. Is there
> a way to decrease the time limit to check and adjust my computer's
> clock? It looks like Windows checks once a week unless I do it manually.
> I wish to avoid third party programs and hoping there is a registry
> tweak to change this.
>
> Thank you in advance. :)
> --
> "Doubts are the ants in the pants of faith, keeping it awake and
> moving." --Fredrick Beuchner
> /\___/\
> / /\ /\ \ Phillip (Ant) @ http://antfarm.ma.cx & http://aqfl.net
> | |o o| | E-mail (nuke ANT if replying privately to a newsgroup
> \ _ / post): philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
> ( )
> Ant is/was listening to a song on his home computer: Victoria Silvstedt
> - Hello Hey (Radio Edit)

I see that WTC has helped you with your time troubles,this link is just
something interesting about your PC's clock
http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/mar13.php
Look under the heading "Kiss your anonymity goodbye"

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.customize (More info?)

"Windows XP, as loaded, automatically updates the system time every 7 days
from one of two (default) time servers. This update interval can be changed
as follows:

Go to Start/Run. Type in regedit (the registry editor), then press enter.
Using regedit, press control/F (search). Type in "specialpollinterval"
without the quotes. Press enter.

When search has found the first entry, double click on the highlighted name.
Change the "base" to decimal. You will see that the decimal value is 604800,
the number of seconds in 7 days.

Edit this decimal value to any value you desire, remembering that there are
86400 seconds in one day, 3600 seconds in one hour. Click O.K.

Press F3 to find the next entry. Do this for each instance of the decimal
value "specialpollinterval".

Now reboot your system for the change to take effect.

Cheers!!!"

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"=?Utf-8?B?TUFQ?=" wrote in microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:
>I see that WTC has helped you with your time troubles,this link is just
>something interesting about your PC's clock
>http://www.spywareinfo.com/newsletter/archives/2005/mar13.php
>Look under the heading "Kiss your anonymity goodbye"

Since the page author has done a good thing by creating a

http://www.spywareinfo.net/mar13,2005#tracking

http://OakRoadSystems.com/