Sign in with
Your question

Upgraded CPU & mobo....BLUE SCREEN on Windows boot!!

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Blue Screen
Last response: in CPUs
November 18, 2012 12:35:22 AM

Swapped out my older AMD CPU & Biostar mobo for an Intel i5 3570kand ASRock Z77 1155 Pro4 motherboard.

BIOS works fine. When I hit the Windows 7 x64 splash screen it loads for only a sec, then freezes and jumps into a BSOD.

This is probably only the 4th computer I've built/upgraded. Any ideas?

One thing that was new to me was that the ASRock 1115 board had an 8-pin ATX12v1 insert. However, my PSU has a 4-pin.

Do I need to do a Windows reinstall/repair to match the CPU/mobo change? Never had to do that before....in fact, this is the first major upgrade I've done that didn't load right up.

THANKS!!!

More about : upgraded cpu mobo blue screen windows boot

a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 1:38:29 AM

You need to reinstall Windows whenever you upgrade your CPU or mobo. Once I even got a blue screen because I changed which Sata port my HDD was connected to.
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:51:23 AM

Yeah after doing some other reading online, I saw other people recommend that too. Though sometimes it doesnt fix.

Here's a new development....now it wont even TURN ON AT ALL!!

I hope I didnt screw something up. Someone in a diff forum sed that the 4 ->8-pin ATX12v was the culprit, though after reading the ASRock manual more closely, it clearly states that it should still work with a 4-pin.

I got a tech comin by to look at this tomorrow...I hope I didnt FRY some ***. In all honesty, I would be happy to be back at the BSOD at this point!!
m
l
November 18, 2012 1:55:09 AM

Oh yeah, and I recently did an AMD 560 to 1155t CPU upgrade and didnt have to reinstall Windows. I also did an AM2/AM3 to AM3/AM3+ mobo upgrade and didn't have to either....worked upon bootup.

Maybe going AMD to Intel is too much for it lol.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 2:14:15 AM

I have always had to reinstall windows when changing motherboards. Did you clear the CMOS? Do that and boot from windows install disc.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 2:34:29 AM

Sometimes the CPU will work. A motherboard swap will almost never work on Windows (On Linux however it is completely fine)
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 6:14:19 AM

0x7b: INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

Kinda points to some sort of installation problem.
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 18, 2012 9:05:43 AM

Hi

You can sometimes swap motherboards and keep your Windows on old hard disk
(if you have a retail version of Windows OK but not if Microsoft OEM or manufacturers OEM Windows)

BUT you have to prepare in advance

First backup any important data just in case things go wrong

Un-install sound card drivers
If changing graphics card un-install graphics card drivers
un-install any motherboard specific utilities (tuning, over clocking etc)

0x0000007b is indicator of problem with Hard disk controller driver
The registry keys for Hard disk controller drivers need to be removed.

driver for new hard disk controller can be added to Windows ready for next motherboard
(programs available to do this such as Fix HDC for XP in ubcd4win project )

then shut down & move hard disk to new system

(cross you fingers and hope all goes well)

Afterwards Windows & Office and some other programs will need to be re registered

Unless existing hard disk is large & fast & new it is probably better to re install from scratch to a new hard disk (or SSD) but it can take several days to sort out re install, updates, data transfer etc

regards

Mike Barnes
m
l
!