Your question
Solved

First new build - extremely low fps in SC2, Crysis

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2012 3:01:37 PM

Hello all - I just recently built my first computer last month.
Here are the hardware specs:
ASRock Z77 Extreme4 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0
EVGA 025-P3-1579-AR GeForce GTX 570 (Fermi) HD 2560MB 320-bit GDDR5
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo)
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
CORSAIR HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS SILVER PSU
Plextor M3 Series PX-128M3 2.5" 128GB
Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM
Western Digital My Book Essential 1TB Desktop External Hard Drive
LG IPS231B-BN Black 23" Full HD IPS Panel
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

GPU Driver is from the Nvidia site - 301.42

The reason I built this computer was to be able to crank up the settings for these types of games (looking forward to D3).
Unfortunately, the gameplay is so jerky that this is is almost as bad as the Dell Dimension 8400 that I had before.

I am getting very low fps in Crysis (5-6 fps), and StarCraft II (15 fps), set on High settings.
Reducing the settings improves things (15 fps - Crysis low, 10 fps - Crysis med, 45 fps on SC2 - initial game settings)

I am using FRAPS to monitor fps, and have downloaded EVGA's OC Scanner X - Benchmark test gives 8 fps.
I am using the Resource Monitor to show CPU usage, which overall is ~45-50%, with Maximum Frequency to 100%.
I have turned the Power Management to High Performance.
Using GPU-Z's rendering test, I am getting ~15 fps with 97% GPU usage.
CPU temp is ~ 40C, MB temp is ~31C.

System seems to think that the GPU is running fine with no problems -I know that this hardware should be able to do MUCH better than this... :pfff: 

Any tips will be helpful - I am hoping for a settings fix, but am afraid that something is seriously wrong.

Thanks to all.

More about : build extremely low fps sc2 crysis

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2012 3:31:06 PM

Before you installed Windows did you change the sata controller from IDE to AHCI? The power supply that you have does it have a second set of Pci-e power cables that you could switch to? The card requires two six pin power connectors to run have you connected the two six pin power connectors? You may have gotten a defective video card and it happens so I would contact the EVGA support and create a support ticket in case you have to TMA the card. Also make sure that you have registered the card.
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2012 3:33:38 PM

Also make sure that you are connecting the monitor cable from the monitor to the video card and not the motherboard connector. If you connected to the motherboard connector then you would be using the intergrated video chip and that would explain the low fps.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2012 3:35:45 PM

How are your temps?

Try resetting your CMOS if there's some failed OC settings in place or something.

BTW are you certain you have your monitor plugged in to the 570 and not the mobo lol, you wouldn't be the first...
m
l
July 8, 2012 4:43:41 PM

LOL - The monitor is connected to the GPU, not the Mobo (that would have been simple!).

I did confirm that I have both 6-pin power connectors fully seated in the GPU.

The BIOS is set to AHCI mode.

I have not tried any OC on this machine.

EVGA OC Scanner still shows 8 fps on Fuzzy Benchmark, 9 fps on Tessy Benchmark.
Interestingly, when I run the stress tests:
The Fuzzy Stress test mini-screen shows 86 fps on the FRAPS monitor.
The Tessy Stress test mini-screen shows 15 fps on the FRAPS monitor.

For both of the above, GPU-Z shows GPU load @ 99%, but Video Engine load @ 0%. - Does this sound right?
Same for running SC2...

OK - this just got weirder -
When I shut down the computer to re-seat the power cables to the GPU, the system did not fully shut off.
Everything powered down, but the Chassis fans continued to run (you could hear the drives spool down).
I had to hold the power button to get the chassis fans to finally power down.
Does this affect what is going on?
m
l
July 8, 2012 6:19:58 PM

Interestingly, re-seating the power cables (or powering down), seems to have resolved the issue.

I am now getting:
750 fps on Fuzzy Stress test, 91 fps on Fuzzy Benchmark.
250 fps on Tessy Stress test, 70 fps on Tessy Benchmark.

GPU-Z shows 99% on Benchmarks,
Video Load shows 0% on all, though (not sure why).

SC2 shows 50 fps, Crysis shows 50 fps on High, 30 fps on Very High. :bounce: 

Not sure how I fixed this (always makes me nervous..). :sweat: 

Anway - if you have any insights, please let me know.

m
l
July 8, 2012 6:40:58 PM

I have had problems with EVGA products, both vid cards (specifically NVIDIA based) and MBs. After 3 RMAs I stay away from them, never had any problems since. I think they use too many refurbished boards / parts on their high end stuff.

Be wary of any further problems, if they come back, see if you can get your money back and switch to something more reliable.
m
l
July 17, 2012 12:22:43 AM

Best answer selected by MileHighV.
m
l
!