Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • Games
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2012 1:31:49 PM

HI there this is my first post.
I bought a Gigabyte Geforce 670 GTX over clocked yesterday and it seems to work OK however whenever I play a game of starcraft 2
my computer artifacts for a few seconds, then BSODS aprox 1 minute after game begin. I thought I may have a dud but this is the only game it does this. I checked the load during the event with GPU-z and it is only at ~50%. Then I ran a bunch of fur mark burn in tests and it does fine and achieves expected scores. No artifacts.

Other games I tried: MW2, Dota 2

Drivers and windows 7 x64 up to date

Maybe its just a driver issue?

I don't like spending 400 bucks on a card and it not working as well as the 8800gt it replaced.

Any ideas?
Thanks

More about : brand 670 gtx problem

May 15, 2012 1:32:51 PM

Oh, MOBO is EVGA 780i, ram is 800 Mhz ocz 6gb i think
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:37:54 PM

please post your full specs, and if you're overclocking CPU/RAMS/GPU, besides you're not the only one having these problems with SCII, try the BETA driver from NVIDIA, use Driver Sweeper to make sure old drivers are gone then post back
m
l
Related resources
a c 175 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:43:32 PM

Maybe it's a Driver issue. Have you ran other games?
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:43:59 PM

Full specs:
1000 Watt PSU
Evga 780i Mobo
6gb OCZ 800mhz ddr2 ram
gigabyte 670 GTX OC 2056MB
Intel core 2 quad q6700
a asus wifi card, and a tv tuner card.

All stock settings/clock speeds.

I used driver sweeper to clear all graphics drivers then installed latest nvidia drivers for the new card. Deleted all unnecessary programs. Updated windows.

Will try the beta driver when I get home from work.

So chances are its a driver issue? I want to know whether I should RMA or not.
Thanks
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:48:48 PM

refillable said:
Maybe it's a Driver issue. Have you ran other games?

I tried just the games mentioned. I was not too happy with the frame rates (v-sync off ) dots 2 frame rates at about ~40-50 VS my old card ~35-40 but upgrading the drivers helped a little.

Again, the stress test performed well with 720p fur mark score of about 4300. GPU got MUCH hotter there than it ever did in SC2.

Im kinda pissed cause SC2 is where I would have seen the most benefit with this card... Oh well maybe the drivers will be updated.

Thanks
m
l
a c 175 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:49:37 PM

Try updating first, also you may update your Motherboard drivers
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:50:43 PM

Possibly driver issue. Since you have already tried the latest driver version, try a previous version and see what happens.

What are your GPU temps like under load/stress?

If you confirm that it's not drivers, by trying the latest and previous versions, and your temps look OK, then I would RMA the card. Seeing how you never had these issues with your 8800GT.
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:51:20 PM

refillable said:
Try updating first, also you may update your Motherboard drivers

Thanks for the reply. Yes, i did see if there was a MOBO update but no such luck. Last update early 2011.
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:56:08 PM

brett1042002 said:
Possibly driver issue. Since you have already tried the latest driver version, try a previous version and see what happens.

What are your GPU temps like under load/stress?

If you confirm that it's not drivers, by trying the latest and previous versions, and your temps look OK, then I would RMA the card. Seeing how you never had these issues with your 8800GT.

THanks for the reply, Yes I installed drivers from CD (BSOD) then tried newest version from nVidia (bsod).

Temps under fur mark 100% load stress test 73 degrees Celsius. SC2 artifacts at ~50 degrees.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:57:55 PM

so you have overclocked it if it were only artifacts i would say driver issues too, but since you are having BSOD, probably bad overclock, or your psu isn't handling the charge, i highly recommend you removing all overclocks and check if problem continues.
m
l
May 15, 2012 1:59:23 PM

The other thing someone maybe could shed some light on is:

I thought these cards would give me ~100 fps in SC2, etc. on max settings with little happening in the game. Instead I am getting around ~50-70.
m
l
May 15, 2012 2:01:41 PM

ricardois said:
so you have overclocked it if it were only artifacts i would say driver issues too, but since you are having BSOD, probably bad overclock, or your psu isn't handling the charge, i highly recommend you removing all overclocks and check if problem continues.

Thanks for the reply. It is a factory over clocked chip. All setting are stock, no over clocking on my part whatsoever.

I wish I had another system to test it in, unfortunately I don't. However under full load voltage holds steady and SC2 doesn't even load the chip much so I have to assume the PSU is capable of handling the card.

My PSU is basically this one:
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

However maybe a previous revision
m
l
May 15, 2012 2:14:06 PM

I checked Startcraft 2 Website and officially only up to 400 series cards are "supported". :\
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:22:15 PM

inakto said:
THanks for the reply, Yes I installed drivers from CD (BSOD) then tried newest version from nVidia (bsod).

Temps under fur mark 100% load stress test 73 degrees Celsius. SC2 artifacts at ~50 degrees.

I would try a previous/older driver version from Nvidia's website or another reputable tech site, not the CD.

CD drivers from the manufacturer are usually worthless, and many people have issues with them.

If that doesn't work, I would RMA the card.

I have a hard time believing the game will not work because there website doesn't "officially" support it. It's possible, just not likely, imo.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 4:38:00 PM

it could be a SC2 specifically problem, and since the 670 is new and the drivers may not work normally on it, probably with some driver updates in future this will be fixed, but the point is, BSODs, if that is happening you can be having another problem also, maybe a memory with problems, a PSU that is not handling your system with that video card, a cpu that is overheating.

About the driver:
try the latest 301.24 beta drivers, if it doesn't fix your problem wait for a new version;
the 296.10 WHQL is not recommended.
m
l
May 15, 2012 4:43:55 PM

ricardois said:
it could be a SC2 specifically problem, and since the 670 is new and the drivers may not work normally on it, probably with some driver updates in future this will be fixed, but the point is, BSODs, if that is happening you can be having another problem also, maybe a memory with problems, a PSU that is not handling your system with that video card, a cpu that is overheating.

About the driver:
try the latest 301.24 beta drivers, if it doesn't fix your problem wait for a new version;
the 296.10 WHQL is not recommended.

Thanks for the reply..
Yes, I will wait a few days to see if others have any problems. Maybe they will update the driver.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 4:58:43 PM

Until NVIDIA releases more drivers supporting the GTX 670.. there isn't much we can do for you. NVIDIA's next 301.40 drivers should be more promising
m
l
May 15, 2012 5:03:01 PM

Rockdpm said:
Until NVIDIA releases more drivers supporting the GTX 670.. there isn't much we can do for you. NVIDIA's next 301.40 drivers should be more promising

I agree, and I won't be at all unhappy with my purchase if they promptly and regularly release some updates, however I thought artifacts were a sign of graphics card failure, so I don't want to hold on to a broken card for too long. However, the stress test went well, so I am optimistic. Downloading crysis right now to do a real world test. None of my games really stress the card much.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 5:05:11 PM

inakto said:
I agree, and I won't be at all unhappy with my purchase if they promptly and regularly release some updates, however I thought artifacts were a sign of graphics card failure, so I don't want to hold on to a broken card for too long. However, the stress test went well, so I am optimistic. Downloading crysis right now to do a real world test. None of my games really stress the card much.

What card are you testing?
m
l
May 15, 2012 11:29:03 PM

Rockdpm said:
What card are you testing?

I am testing the subject of the thread, the 670 gtx.

Bought a 60Gb Vertex 3 SSD and a new monitor.

Just finished a clean install of windows 7 ultimate x64. Installing stuff. Will see what happens
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 11:40:49 PM

Oh right, duh... lol. Yea After a clean install. Its hard for there to be a driver issue unless its a bad driver
m
l
May 15, 2012 11:44:27 PM

Rockdpm said:
Oh right, duh... lol. Yea After a clean install. Its hard for there to be a driver issue unless its a bad driver

Lol. No, I need to do a clean install, it was getting painfully slow at times with random freezing etc. Now it's blazing fast. ;) 

SC2 still doing updates...

m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 11:46:54 PM

Yea only thing dreaded when doing a full re-install
m
l
a c 89 U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 12:29:47 AM

inakto said:
The other thing someone maybe could shed some light on is:

I thought these cards would give me ~100 fps in SC2, etc. on max settings with little happening in the game. Instead I am getting around ~50-70.

Your cpu is holding back your 670 , thats why you are'nt getting higher fps with it.

alt cntrl del whilst in game with SC2, check in task manager if your cpu is topping out at 100 percent, if so this could be the issue you are having.
m
l
May 16, 2012 3:00:47 AM

monsta said:
Your cpu is holding back your 670 , thats why you are'nt getting higher fps with it.

alt cntrl del whilst in game with SC2, check in task manager if your cpu is topping out at 100 percent, if so this could be the issue you are having.

Ok thanks, I'll have a look. I've overclocked it to 3.4 Ghz before so I may go back to that.

I tried starcraft again after clean install and it ran without a hitch for about 20 mins, then artifacts/Bsod.

I played some crysis max settings and no problems at all. Beginning to think it may be the driver.
m
l
a c 198 U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 3:07:32 AM

What is the bran of the power supply? Just wondering.
m
l
a c 291 U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 4:36:59 AM

Might be faulty memory. Try memtest (www.memtest.org).
m
l
May 16, 2012 4:56:59 AM

Deemo13 said:
What is the bran of the power supply? Just wondering.

Its "ultra" brand I believe
m
l
a c 89 U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 6:03:58 AM

Hmm could be the psu?
Look at the sticker on it what does it say for watts and 12v amps?
m
l
May 17, 2012 8:35:12 PM

I got my card gtx 670 yesterday. I have almost same problems with Starcraft 2, but instead of BSOD I have: screen goes black when u play starcraft and after alt tab you see that nvidia driver stopped working and was recovered. Crysis 2 plays nicely without problem, drivers 301.34... I dEcided to update to 301.40 beta. Now it is a little bit better, I have only missing textures like for 1sec sometimes. I think we should let nvidia know about this problem with Starcraft :)  I'll do some more testing. I exchanged my video from radeon 7850, system was stable before as rock. All 3d mark, crysis 2 work without any artifacts. Drivers just are too raw... Update to 301.40beta and see what it is gonna be
m
l
May 19, 2012 6:31:25 PM

Ok, after 2 days, I found out that if you change in Nvidia Control Panel - Power Management to Maximum Perfomance (isntead of Adaptive), Starcraft 2 works without driver failing. I cahnged for global though, it didn`t work for me if I change only for Starcraft 2 in Nvidia control Panel. I tested 301.25, 302.59 beta, 301.40 beta.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 6:34:09 PM

Really? ima have to try that.. Bare with NVIDIA man. they are working on rolling out new drivers in the coming week or 2
m
l
May 19, 2012 6:49:51 PM

I swear, I tried everything. I already issued RMA for this card :)  Cos, funny thing that I used Furmark and Prime95 at the same time and system was completely stable. It means no PSU problems or some crap or artefacts. I noticed that Starcraft 2 can`t use GPU boost. It still holds GPU core at 980Mhz and using like 30% of TDP, when Crysis 2 1200Mhz! and 86.6% of TDP. Nvidia needs to give us control to disable stupid GPU boost. Actually, GURO OC came out for this Gigabyte Card, link: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4...
m
l
May 19, 2012 8:53:30 PM

maslo1nsk said:
I swear, I tried everything. I already issued RMA for this card :)  Cos, funny thing that I used Furmark and Prime95 at the same time and system was completely stable. It means no PSU problems or some crap or artefacts. I noticed that Starcraft 2 can`t use GPU boost. It still holds GPU core at 980Mhz and using like 30% of TDP, when Crysis 2 1200Mhz! and 86.6% of TDP. Nvidia needs to give us control to disable stupid GPU boost. Actually, GURO OC came out for this Gigabyte Card, link: http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4...

Dude if this fixes my issue you're the best answer!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 8:55:15 PM

You can't disable GPU boost because its within the architecture unless NVIDIA decides to give option to disable it later on..
m
l
May 19, 2012 9:06:46 PM

Well, I played for 11 mins and no crash. I will test it some more to be sure.
m
l
May 19, 2012 9:16:43 PM

I know, that I can`t disable it :(  Now, a question. Do you guys use GPU-Z?! Can you play like some 3dmark or crysis or any game and see if you see your maximum GPU Core 1200Mhz?
It is weird that I dont do any OC on my card and it goes all way to 1201.9Mhz by itself.. It is suppose to be 1058Mhz (980Mhz/1058Mhz boost). If I increase with GURU OC +50Mhz (1030Mhz), my boost is only 1134Mhz... If I do +100Mhz (1080Mhz) I get 1300 Mhz boost... It seems like this card overcloks itself... I can`t do overclock myself )))
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 19, 2012 9:18:55 PM

Some cards have a higher boost clock than others... like mine if i set it to stock clocks at 915, it boosts to over 1ghz. If i set it with a +70mhz overclock, the clock boosts to 1117
m
l
May 20, 2012 1:22:00 AM

PLaying Deus Ex.. Now with V-Sync on I have stuttering frames problems... which Nvidia is going to fix in June. Man, Should`ve stayed with Radeon 7850... And everybody says that ATI has bad drivers...

Does anybody have this stuttering?

2inakto: How is it going with your testing?
m
l
a c 672 U Graphics card
May 20, 2012 2:29:27 AM

Turn off VSync to solve the stuttering problem.

You need to increase your power threshold to maximum in order to get higher overclocks. Turbo Boost will go much higher than the Boost Clock listed in GPU-Z. Increasing the power threshold is critical to attaining a stable overclock.

Use Afterburner to monitor your clock speeds and to set your maximum power threshold.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Afterburner-2.2.0-download-...

Here's an overclocking guide for the GTX 680(670):
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-680-overclock...
m
l
May 20, 2012 11:34:13 PM

To be honest I`m fine with 1202Mhz boost ) dont need to push further :) 
Actually for this exactly GTX 670 OC GURU is better than afterburner. I couldnt increase voltage in afterburner more than 1.0875v. In GURU 1.175v

Spent again 5 hours to figure out the problem with Deus Ex.. On Eidos forum one guys (thanks to onelifecrisis):" You just have to use DX11 mode (VSync enabled) and edit the registry. In the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eidos\Deus Ex: HR folder, set D3D11_CREATE_DEVICE_PREVENT_INTERNAL_THREADING_OPTIMIZATIONS to 1. Done. "
Now Deus Ex is working without stuttering...
m
l
a c 672 U Graphics card
May 21, 2012 12:55:35 AM

Increasing the power limit is NOT overclocking, nor is it voltage tweaking. It ensures that your card will not downclock when it reaches it's preset power limit. At +132%, you are giving your card that much more power headroom than you are when leaving it at the default 100%.

A quote from that Guru3d guide:
"In afterburner we go into the preferences. We can widen up the TDP limitations a bit, set the power limiter towards its maximum 132%. That way the Dynamic boost function won't down clock all the time to meet its upper threshold in TDP limitations."
m
l
May 21, 2012 7:21:57 AM

not sure if this was answered, but i have the same model and sc2 works perfectly fine. ran it over night to make sure, and it didn't bug up at all.

my old one was giving me hell with hang-ups at windows bootup and all kinds of other stuff, so i'd try a clean install of windows + core drivers only to narrow down the source of the problem.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 2:29:59 AM

thought i'd ask around but has anyone with a 670 had an issue where the PCI Express mode read as "PCI Express 2.0 X16 @x4"? in GPU Z and GPU Monitor?
m
l
a c 672 U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 2:48:56 AM

Rockdpm said:
thought i'd ask around but has anyone with a 670 had an issue where the PCI Express mode read as "PCI Express 2.0 X16 @x4"? in GPU Z and GPU Monitor?

Click on the little "?" (question mark symbol) in GPU-Z next to the bus interface box and do the render test.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 3:31:59 AM

I did and it didn't refresh or change it from x4 to x16
m
l
May 22, 2012 6:58:24 AM

just another update.. I was having some issues with the windows SSD boot drive so I took it out and reinstalled windows on the old HDD. I played a few starcraft 2 games and all was well, until I quit the game, then everything locked up and i got some what would be best described as curser artifacts. Basically it held on until I tried to click anything then crashed. So it seems like a driver issue to me. Just in case, I send an email to gigabyte support about it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
May 22, 2012 1:23:07 PM

Yea thats the case, Also when i moved it up to the top slot my computer would get into windows aftwards and then black screen me and id have to do a hard power off. And yes i did change the card when the computer was off
m
l
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!