Sign in with
Your question
Closed

$150 Budget - Seek advice on upgrade for L775 Mobo

Last response: in CPUs
November 18, 2012 12:56:24 AM

Hi all,

Looking fora little bit of advice regarding a cpu upgrade.
This is my first self executed CPU upgrade so please go easy on me, as I am not very good with computers, and everything Ive learned over the past couple weeks has been self taught through various information sources.

I currently have a Pentium Dual-Core E5700, 3.0 GHz 800MHz FSB.

I am playing a online game that I intend to multibox, and need to remove my processor bottleneck when loading multiple instances of the game. It currently runs 2 instances, and I need to increase that to 4.

What I am looking for, is advice on the best CPU I could buy for a LGA775 motherboard for a $150-$170 price range.
It MUST be a quadcore, as the software I use dedicates a core to each instance of the game to prevent frame lag issues that will throw my games out of sync.

I have been looking at the Intel Quad 2 Core line, and have been considering the Q8300, due to affordability, and CPU benchmark compared to my current CPU ( benchmarks at approximately 200% of my current )

If anyone that is a little more apt with CPUs and etc could give me advice if there is a better model or a different line, that would be compatible and give better performance for my $, I would very much appreciate it.
I have no intention of swapping out my motherboard, as it a little more of a task than I want to undertake.

Thanks!
a c 220 à CPUs
November 18, 2012 1:15:29 AM

Geez uhm ok well, socket 775 socket CPUs are hard to get a hold of.

First of what motherboard do you have? We need to check if it support quad cores and which ones?
Score
November 18, 2012 1:21:49 AM

Sorry for not including all the information.

It is a Dell 018D1Y.

Chipset is compatible with Quad 2 Core, with Sandra Soft the chipset lists as :
Dell P45/P43/G45/G43.

Also some information that may be relevant as im not sure what all IS relevant:

4 GB DDR3 RAM
Radeon 4600 Series GPU

Also, I just updated my BIOS two days ago.
Score
Related resources
November 18, 2012 2:41:47 AM

Hopefully thats all thats needed :) 
Score
a c 220 à CPUs
November 18, 2012 2:55:37 AM

Eish... OK processors can you find??? Because that's gonna be a huge deciding factor.
Score
November 18, 2012 3:18:49 AM

Not following the question, sorry?
Score
a c 220 à CPUs
November 18, 2012 3:21:57 AM

Sorry im quite tired LOL.
What Core 2 Quad processors can you find?
Score
November 18, 2012 3:33:03 AM

Still not sure I get what information you are looking for.
I assume I can find any that anyone else can online, which would be pretty much the entire core 2 quad line.
Been browsing for quite some time.
Score

Best solution

a c 220 à CPUs
November 18, 2012 3:43:46 AM

RHJason said:
Still not sure I get what information you are looking for.
I assume I can find any that anyone else can online, which would be pretty much the entire core 2 quad line.
Been browsing for quite some time.

Well availability if Core 2 quads here is dead, can not find a single one...

http://ark.intel.com/products/33924/Intel-Core2-Quad-Pr...

Thats the best core 2 quad ever made. But it should be damn expensive. How much are you willing to spend and can you lnik me to the site you would be using???
a c 220 à CPUs
November 18, 2012 4:00:37 AM

That's not such a bad price, it used to be a great processor. Albight a bit outdated now but oh well, you are on a budget.
Score
November 18, 2012 4:33:37 AM

Best answer selected by RHJason.
Score
a c 220 à CPUs
November 18, 2012 4:35:07 AM

RHJason said:
Best answer selected by RHJason.

n
nOne last thing, there is a slight chance that your motherboard will not support this CPU. You should check with the mobo manufacturer.
Score
!