Sign in with
Your question
Closed

USB Devices Don't Work

Last response: in Components
November 18, 2012 2:05:44 AM

Earlier today all of my usb devices just stopped working. These devices will light up, but they do not work. They work at start up and if lucky momentarily while logging in and while logged on. They actually always work at start up (not sure if mouse or external hard drive works I'm basing this assumption they do work on start up on the fact that I can hit f8 every time I start up and navigate using arrow keys every time.) I have came to the conclusion that it is not the device's problem or a software problem, and I explain why in the following paragraph. I just do not know what I should do next.

I believe that I have tried out every option besides replacing components. So far I have reset my CMOS, tried to see if my devices worked in Safe Mode, messed around with bios options, update drivers and bios, formatted and re-install windows 7 x64, bought a pci card with usb 2.0 ports, tried using a different hdd, and turned off the option where usb devices will shut off to conserve power, and all of these devices work on my laptop (not all in chronological order and I may have left out other attempts to resolve this problem, it has been a long day).

My specs are:
PSU: 480W Raidmax PSU
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
Video Card : XFX GS250XZDFU GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16
MOBO: BIOSTAR A785G3 AM3 AMD 785G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 ST1000DM005/HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Computer is about 3 - 4 years old

I believe that my PSU is about borderline to run my PC, correct me if I am wrong I am not quiet sure, and I have been meaning to replace my Mobo for a while. My thoughts are that one of these are the problem, and I realize that most likely someone would have to actually look at it first hand to actually know what is wrong, but at the moment I cannot find someone to do that.

A few more things that I forgot to mention are that I have checked many times to see if every thing is connected correctly because in the past I have forgotten to connect something back again. One more thing when I first was re installing windows I encountered a blue screen and it had something to do with Power I believe it said "Power State Failure" at the top, I am actually not sure if that's what it said or not.

If someone were to have a resolution in mind I would gladly appreciate it, thank you.

More about : usb devices work

Best solution

November 18, 2012 4:19:25 AM

Raidmax is on the borderline anyway because of lack of quality and over rating output. I would start with PSU and hope the board recovers but if it is damaged I would blame it on the PSU anyway.
November 18, 2012 6:47:07 AM

Best answer selected by Tkhan.
Score
Related resources
November 18, 2012 6:47:59 AM

Thank you for the speedy response, I will replace my psu, and if needed my mobo as well as soon as possible
Score
November 18, 2012 7:05:53 AM

I had a case of Win7-64 failing to recognise external USB drives (though the USB mouse did work). I resolved it my carrying out a Windows Repair step, which didn't mess up any settings but permanently cured the problem. It may be worth trying that.

Colin
Score
November 18, 2012 7:14:14 AM

Do the USB ports work in safe mode? if they do then your problem is a software one and NOT a hardware problem. If they don't then the problem is likly to be a hardware one.
Score
!