Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Graphic card doesn't post on screen and the fan doesn't spin

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2012 2:50:59 PM

I have a BFG gtx 260 that doesn't post on my monitor and it's fan doesn't spin when I have my computer on. Every other fan in my computer works though (fans that are on my case, my heatsink fan for my cpu), my wireless networking card also seems to work since the power light comes on.

I have already tested my graphics card in another computer and it works fine, so the problem isn't it.

So I am wondering wether my motherboard is defective and pci express port ins't working (GA-MA770-UD3).
Or it's because my power supply is defective (OCZ modxstream 700w).

Help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
a c 251 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 2:56:29 PM

The fact that the fans turn on indicates that the psu is working and if the video card was not getting enough power from the pci-e connectors then the fan would at least spin. Because the fan isn't even spinning and the video card works in another computer then the motherboard or the cpu is defective. Are there any post beeps at all?
May 15, 2012 3:10:07 PM

inzone said:
The fact that the fans turn on indicates that the psu is working and if the video card was not getting enough power from the pci-e connectors then the fan would at least spin. Because the fan isn't even spinning and the video card works in another computer then the motherboard or the cpu is defective. Are there any post beeps at all?

I will try to listen for the beep codes once I get home. Should I take my ram out to notice the difference?

Thanks for the quick reply

Edit: Also I should note that I can't close my computer through long press on the power button, I have to close the power supply through the I/O switch
Related resources
May 15, 2012 11:10:45 PM

2ez4u said:
I will try to listen for the beep codes once I get home. Should I take my ram out to notice the difference?

Thanks for the quick reply

Edit: Also I should note that I can't close my computer through long press on the power button, I have to close the power supply through the I/O switch

I can't hear any post beeps with the ram in or without the ram in.
I'm guessing that I need to change my motherboard.

Please reply wether this information is right or wrong, thank you very much for the help.

Best solution

a c 251 U Graphics card
May 16, 2012 2:35:37 AM

I would say that the motherboard could be the problem but it would be good to be able to check it out to make sure so that your not buying a new motherboard for no reason. The fact that there was no response from the motherboard when you trid starting it without the ram in it is a good indication the motherboard has gone bad because there should have benn a series of beeps to indicate that there was no ram.
May 16, 2012 2:54:01 AM

Alright thank you very much for the help you provided me
May 16, 2012 2:54:13 AM

Best answer selected by 2ez4u.
!