New comp

alright well i built my new computer. everything booted up just fine, but when bios comes up it tells me my cpu is overheating. i have an i7 unlocked LGA2011. and i also have a corsair h100 and it turns on and everything but thats the only thing wrong with it. anything i have to do? do i have to put water in it or what? im stuck.
13 answers Last reply
More about comp
  1. You should not have to put water in your Corsair H100 which is self contained. I would remove and reattach the waterblock there and see if you can get a better mating - you'll need to replace your thermal compound once removed - Arctic Silver 5 is a highly recommended compound. I would think that should work
  2. yeah, what is a safe temperatur the cpu should be at. ifa cpu overheats will the computer turn off? i have the sabertooth x79 and the bios menu keeps telling me its overheating. is the heat past already applied on the h100
  3. Yes, there is a grey layer of thermal material (TIM) on the waterblock when you recieve it. Once the waterblock has heated up on the CPU and then removed (as in to re-seat it), the TIM needs to be replaced.
    Edit: the cpu should shut itself down at a thermal threshold but I have no clue what it is for your processor.
  4. well is the bios messing up or is that even possible. when a processor overheats does it turn off the computer? what are the symtoms of a bad processor? i know its alot of questions but im kinda new to this.
  5. Overheating could be a sign of a bad processor - the list is too extensive to go into here. Is the warning that the CPU is overheating or is the warning of a CPU fan failure
  6. C12Friedman said:
    Overheating could be a sign of a bad processor - the list is too extensive to go into here. Is the warning that the CPU is overheating or is the warning of a CPU fan failure

it says the proseccor is overheating. when i go into bios it says its at 177f. can a processor even heat up that fast?
  7. Oh yeah, processors can heat up real quick - something you'll be amazed to see as you monitor your temps with the H100. My computers rarely run less than 100% but when they do, I go from my standard 60C to 36C in about 3 seconds. Conversely, when I go from idle to 100% temps change (and stabilize) in about the same amount of time... sorry, I digress.
    What model i7 processor do you have?
  8. i have the i7 - 3930k LGA2011 unlocked
  9. is it most likly a processor problem or a fan/water cooler problem?
  10. I would be most suspicious of the H100 here since it is mechanical but I'm at a loss as to how to isolate the two since you don't have a stock HSF to try.
  11. Hi :)

It is NOT the Bios faulty...

All the best Brett :)
  12. After re-reading this, I take back my prime suspicions of the H100, I'm most suspicious of the waterblock mounting, then the H100, then the CPU. I would really look to remount the waterblock first.
  13. C12Friedman said:
    After re-reading this, I take back my prime suspicions of the H100, I'm most suspicious of the waterblock mounting, then the H100, then the CPU. I would really look to remount the waterblock first.

thanks guys you really helped me out a bunch. with the h100 and my i7, what is a decent temp the the cpu should be running at?
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Computers