No video, no beeps, everything is on except case fans

rcorpuz

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Just built my first pc and turned it on for the first time. The cpu cooler turns on, gpu turns on, hard drive and optical drives turn on. None of the case fans turn on. Standby power led, cpu led and the ram led turn on. There is no beep and no signal to monitor. I really hope it's not my mobo, does anyone know what is wrong or what I can do? Thanks for all the help.

Specs:
cpu: i5 3570k
cooler: corsair h100
mobo: Asus sabertooth z77
gpu: asus direct CUII gtx 670
psu: corsair ax 750
hard drive: hitachi 2tb 7200rpm
ssd: intel 520 120gb
optical drive: lg...something

the mb that went out have older bios on them. use the usb flashback tool on the back of the mb and install the bios one at a time. 0906...10xx and 120x. make sure you try and boot after you do a flash update and go into the bios and hit f5. save factory default. on the asus mb if the mb cant set the ram right try with one stick of ram in one of the slots. the red ram led should only come on and then turn off the same with the video good led. the asus flashback all you need is a usb stick and unzip the 0906 bios onto a fat 32 formated usb stick and rename it (the renaming info on the asus web page under the bios info). you dont have to turn the mb on just have power to the mb and hit the usb flash back button..when the flash starts the blinking led on the usb flashback will change speed then go out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADcdnwMjd_I

rcorpuz

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Okay I gave that a shot and something weird, the usb bios flashback light would blink about 3 times and then stay on. I have been looking around the web for a while and I havent been able to find much on this issue. Some other things I found is that since the dram led stays on, it's a ram compatibility problem. But I dont see how that would affect the beeps or the usb flashback. I also tried to clear cmos because I've found that that is also a solution to a computer not booting. Any ideas?

with the usb flash back the light will come on and stay on if the flash file not names right or you powered the mb up and tried to do the flash back. the flash back will only work right with the ps in the on position and the mb green standby led on. you then hold the button in for a few sec till it starts blinking. if the file is named right the light will change it blinking speed..flash the bios and then turn off.

flash file needs to be named Z77ST.CAP
on a fat 32 or fat 16 formated usb stick

rcorpuz

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
Alright. I got that done. But the problem is still the same. DRAM LED stays on, none of the fans run except cpu cooler and gpu, and no signal on the monitor. It's difficult to get into the bios if the monitor won't work haha. O and thanks for taking the time to help. I really appreciate it.

try taking the mb and power supply out of the case and put the mb with ram and video card on top of the mb box it came in. hook up the power supply and put a jumper or touch the power good pins. if the mb posts...you were shorting it out. if evrything still stays red pull the video card...if no change power off put video card back in and pull all the dimms but one. then walk the dimm into each slot..no change ...swap dimm. if no change...try another dimm or look under the cpu for a bent pin.

Before you return any hardware I would work through our standard troubleshooting checklist. Many issues like this are a simple setup error that can be easily fixed without using the shotgun blast method of returning hardware until you accidentally fix the problem. There's a link to the checklist in my signature.

rcorpuz

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
So I sent it in everyone. And for the education for everyone here was the problem. There was a bad rail in my psu. I would have never called that one haha. But thanks everyone for your help. I really do appreciate it.