Sign in with
Your question

Does the "Radeon HD 6870" card support 120hz gaming monitors?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2012 3:12:35 PM

Hey!

I plan on buying a new monitor in the near future, to be more specific this one : Samsung S23A700D
120hz and 3D LED monitor..
My GPU is not the best at the moment , so I'd go for a new GPU as well, I was thinking ofSapphire Radeon 6870 card.

Will those 2 work good together?

I'm not really into the 3D stuff, altho it wouldn't be a bad thing if I were able to watch some movies in 3D so is this card compatible with 3D vision or I should go for a NVIDIA card?

I want to play with 1920*1080 resolution on 120hz.

Any advices?

Thanks!
May 15, 2012 3:33:00 PM

Also, should I found out that the "Samsung S23A750D" monitor has Display Port connection (Samsung S23A700D only supports hdmi and dvi) .
The 750D is more expensive though. Is it worth the extra money or not that important?
a b C Monitor
May 15, 2012 3:53:12 PM

first of all, the Display Port thing isn't that different. if you're only using a single monitor, there isn't a difference. it's mainly for multi-monitor eyefinity etc...

as for 120hz, the 6870 is a great card, it'll support it just fine. but you won't be maxing out many games while also running it at 120fps. if you're ok with that, then you're all set
Related resources
May 15, 2012 4:35:18 PM

First of all: 3d gaming is pretty awesome, I have an S23A750D and it works great, however the newer S23A950D seems to be easier to get these days(it may be cheaper than the 750). You can try it out 3d before you buy your video card (it will work in some form with any hardware, 3d takes alot of horse power, so if you want to go 3d, keep that in mind).
AMD cards started supporting HD3d (AMD's version of 3d vision) in the HD 5xxx editions I believe, if you have that version of card you can run 3d in frame sequential mode. If your card is older, you'll have to run in side by side mode, where the each perspective of the game (left eye and right eye) are rendered at half the width of your screen, and your monitor gets set to seperate the two images.

If you enjoy 3d, keep in mind that to get 60FPS/eye you have to render at 120FPS, and there is some additional overhead (not sure how much) from the 3d rendering driver (Tridef or iz3d).

Any video card will 'work' with 120hz mode, however there are some things to be aware of:
120FPS is a very high bar to hit with PC performance without sacrificing settings. I use an HD 7870 in 3d mode, and typically get 45FPS/eye in skyrim on high. (I wish I had gone a little higher on the video card, but oh well :) )
HDMI is not capable of 1080p@120HZ (it's bandwidth limited to 48FPS@1080p). Display port and Dual-Link DVI are the only digital connection methods that do (I think VGA also does I think, but not digital).
I have heard that DL-DVI is not supported for HD3d, but I can't confirm it.
If you get the display port monitor, keep in mind most 7xxx cards are mini display port, buy a cable that is display port at one end and mini DP on the other (or be sure your video card comes with an adapter, mine didn't cost me a week of waiting).

edit: I would also argue that there isn't any perceivable difference between 60hz and 120hz gaming, the eye/brain combo we all use does a pretty good job of blending frames together, which is why 60hz has been the standard for such a long time. IMO 120hz is a marketing gimmick (especially in TVs), however there really isn't much data on either side of the argument because it's all subjective/relative, and you will always have people who can 'tell' the difference even if there is strong proof that it doesn't matter (see "over sampling" in audio). _end_rant_
a b C Monitor
May 15, 2012 5:02:53 PM

like @DJScribbles said, only Dual-Link DVI and Display-POrt supports 1080p 120hz that is true.
@vmem 120hz doesn't cause any kind of performance issues, that is a lie, 120hz is just the CAP, you will be able to see up to 120fps, doesn't mean that you need to run 120fps... the differece is when you are running something at 100fps at a 60hz screen, 40fps are thrown away, an in a 120hz screen you will be able to see them, 120hz is awesome, and really is a big difference seeing those extra frames, even if you aren't at full 120fps at 60 to 80fps the differences are very noticeable.

120hz isn't a gimmick, on television it is, because they don't accept 120hz signal, they do a postprocessing in the frames by doing so they can create 120hz signal, but it can only receive the same 60fps signal... it will create the extra frames based on the next and before frame this increases a lot the response time and it is something very bad for gaming since you have to control the game.

if you wan't a gaming good 3D solution i highly advise you checking for nvidia solution, up to now it is the best solution and compatible with more games, hd3d isn't from amd, it only works using third party 3D Drivers.

but yes for a 120hz solution that card will work normally, just make sure you are usign Dual-Link DVI or a displayPort that supports 1080p 120hz not all cables can handle that. be aware that some video cards only have 1 DL-DVI slot and the other is just single link DVI. If it don't work on the first try, test the another DVI output.

EDIT: yes 3D does take a lot of hardware power, since the computer must split the game scene and show it from 2 different angles... also there isn't much games that work properly in 3D right now, but for the 120hz it worths the money, it is awesome playing at 120hz you will yes notice difference.
May 15, 2012 5:56:45 PM

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah basically I'm not that interested in the 3D part of couse I'd use that sometimes. But I'm mainly buying it because of gaming.

So HD 6870 and Samsung S23A700D together seems to be a good choice?
a b C Monitor
May 15, 2012 6:07:07 PM

yes, it certainly looks like a good fit for 120hz gameplay.
May 16, 2012 2:56:52 PM

hensie said:
Thanks for the replies.

Yeah basically I'm not that interested in the 3D part of couse I'd use that sometimes. But I'm mainly buying it because of gaming.

So HD 6870 and Samsung S23A700D together seems to be a good choice?

If you can spare the cash, it may be a good idea to put a little more budget behind your video card (or Xfire it later). In order to fully utilize the 120hz monitor, you are asking your PC to put out 2x the frame rate. As I said, my 7870 + i7 2700k get me to about 90 fps in skyrim on high (in 3d mode, so it's 45/eye).

I can try out a benchmark later in 2d 120hz if you'd like :)  (I'm a little curious what kind of overhead the 3d driver is imposing vs normal rendering), I've been playing skyrim, but I've got a large library if there's a specific game your interested in.

Edit:
Quote:
... also there isn't much games that work properly in 3D right now ...

My last comment on 3d, since OP isn't really that interested, but there are a ton of games that have 3d support through tridef. Some games do take a while to become supported, but most are supported within a few days of launch, and typically work pretty well (though it does take some work to troubleshoot problems if things don't work well, I haven't hit any unfixable stuff in the 4 months I've had my 3d setup). It's not seamless, but I personally find it to be worth the extra effort, games just don't look right in 2d anymore.
a b C Monitor
May 16, 2012 7:43:39 PM

Quote:

Edit:
Quote:
... also there isn't much games that work properly in 3D right now ...

My last comment on 3d, since OP isn't really that interested, but there are a ton of games that have 3d support through tridef. Some games do take a while to become supported, but most are supported within a few days of launch, and typically work pretty well (though it does take some work to troubleshoot problems if things don't work well, I haven't hit any unfixable stuff in the 4 months I've had my 3d setup). It's not seamless, but I personally find it to be worth the extra effort, games just don't look right in 2d anymore.

i know that, i am also a 3D gamer, and what is have said is because, there aren't much 3D READY games, there are of course tons of 3D games, but if you are looking to play new games, not all of them have an acceptable 3D effect, bugged shadow, bugged shaders, etc, with fixes and patches you can make a lot of them to work too, i know it really worths the extra effor, and i can't enjoy 2D games too now, but sometimes i am forced, just like Syndicate, i had to finish the game in 2D because there is no future hope for fixing the 3D in that game... and a lot of new games don't work in 3D properly, Binary Domain, Blades of Time, Sniper Elite V2, etc...
There are a lot of 3D Games out there, but also there is a lot of great games that don't work properly in 3D, because most of game developers don't take 3D serious right now, i hope they start doing so... a lot of new games releasing and 3D not working...
May 17, 2012 2:17:40 AM

So, I did the benchmarking with my 7870, here are my results:
Skyrim w/ HighRes Texture pack installed
Measured using fraps over 60 seconds, outside home in whiterun.
HD7870
I7-2700k @stock

Skyrim-2d-Ultra
2012-05-16 21:48:29 - TESV
Frames: 4290 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 71.500 - Min: 64 - Max: 76

Skyrim-2d-High
2012-05-16 21:50:35 - TESV
Frames: 6967 - Time: 60000ms - Avg: 116.117 - Min: 102 - Max: 121

I'll also concede on my rant about 120hz, you can tell the difference, guess i should check these things before running my mouth :whistle: 

Anyhow, my 7870 was running 95%+, so probably unbottlenecked. I was able to get up to 120 in High, but Ultra kept me down near 60.

Anyhow, I'm sure a 6870 will do pretty well, but you may not see your 120fps at the highest settings on more taxing games with it, so if you've got the extra money it maybe beneficial to upgrade to a 78xx or 79xx.
May 17, 2012 1:14:14 PM

Thank you for posting and running the tests for me. I'm on low budget at the moment so I can't really afford expensive cards.
I usually play older games such as Call of Duty 4 and Counter strike so I don't think it well be too hard to reach the FPS I want in those games.

I was just looking to get a larger monitor cause my recent one is only 19' but then after some research I found out that cheaper monitors only operate at 60hz which seemed a bit laggy to me that's why I've decided to get a 120hz.

3D isn't all that important. However I will try it out.. looks like a cool feature.

a c 128 C Monitor
May 17, 2012 1:25:28 PM

For me, 120hz is big in 2 ways:
1) I use 3D Vision and I love it. This needs 120hz to play well.

2) I get severe motion sickness when playing mouse control 1st person and over the shoulder games. This motion sickness is due to latency and goes from severe to mild from 30hz to 60hz and it goes away completely up to 90hz and FPS. It seems the fewer updated images creates a small amount of latency between your movements and what is updated on the screen, and this causes motion sickness for me. I know now it's not the actual FPS causing it directly, as cut scenes and movies will have no effect on me, but you put the mouse in my hands, and 30 FPS will induce nausea almost instantly.
May 22, 2012 6:00:10 PM

I have received both of them today, they work really good!

120 hz is really smooth and 3D is very cool indeed.

Thank you all!
December 19, 2012 11:51:09 PM

hi I have the same monitor and 6870 card but I cant get 120hz only 60 is there anyway to force it ? amd control panel is not offering.
a c 128 C Monitor
December 20, 2012 2:01:28 AM

Which monitor is that, the 750 or 700? Not all the 750's are 120hz, and to get 120hz, you have to be connected with a dual link DVI cable, or displayport (depending on monitor). HDMI will not get you to 120hz.
December 20, 2012 4:51:49 AM

bystander said:
Which monitor is that, the 750 or 700? Not all the 750's are 120hz, and to get 120hz, you have to be connected with a dual link DVI cable, or displayport (depending on monitor). HDMI will not get you to 120hz.

bystander said:

thanks for reply . and im useing the same dvi line I used on my other box witch has a 7950 card and I did get 120hz on that one'

also the 3d is not working on ether box now but it did work on the 7950 when I first hooked it up but now It looks like 2 games are running but no 3d with the softwere just the 2d 3d mode . skyrime crysis fear they all just look like 2 games runing at once.

I figured the 3d drivers where corrupt wich is why I hooked it up to the other box with a fresh downloded driver but it dos the same plus no 120 hz with the 6870 box so I dont now what to do it looks like maybe the monitor went south on the 3d front ?

oh and its the 750 model.
a c 128 C Monitor
December 20, 2012 4:55:59 AM

Did you try both DVI connections on the 6870? It is not unheard of to not have both DVI connections supporting 120hz.
December 20, 2012 2:10:35 PM

"Did you try both DVI connections on the 6870? It is not unheard of to not have both DVI connections supporting 120hz. "

funny I was thinking about that last night now that you mention it I will.

ill det back to you when I do later thanks , and dos anybody now of a fix for the 3d 2game thing? I tryed installing new firm where but it said its allready up to date.

I got it factory refurbed but it looked and worked like new accept for this littel dent next to the menu tabs . like I said the 2d 3d and glassis work but not with the trident software after 2 days , I even tried system restore but no luck.

without the software working the 2d 3d stuff looks pretty lame :( 
a c 128 C Monitor
December 20, 2012 2:14:51 PM

Tridef may not work until you get the 120hz thing straightened out.
December 21, 2012 2:33:47 AM

well Bystander you hit it on the nose , I got half life 2 and fear extraction point To work .But crysis And unreal tournament 3 Both got corrupted They won't work even by themselves know It broke crisis on the other box two .

But at least I know that it's the bugy Samsung trident software instead of the monitor Do you know if there's a fix for this software ?

On my Intel box I get 120 hz but all the games just show a split screen and crisis just keeps crashing since the software went south.

But it's really good to know I don't have to return this monitor ill probably have to reinstall windows on the Intel box just to get it working again but I don't know if it's really worth it since the software is so bugy it will probably just happen again. But thanks for the help I can sleep better tonight :) 
a c 128 C Monitor
December 21, 2012 2:41:14 AM

Oh, one thing about Tridef, once you open it in 3D, you can't open the game in 2D until you reboot. I don't know why, but that is what it does to me.

Many games don't work that well in 3D, but I found a site with mods to fix many games to work. Crysis was one such game that doesn't work well in 3D, but Crysis 2 is awesome with native support.

You can try here. 3D Vision gets better support, but it might help HD3D too:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

EDIT: I just looked on their FAQ section, and unfortunately, that site won't help you. It only works for 3D Vision (Nvidia's 3D).
December 21, 2012 4:35:25 AM

No dice this time my games are broke And my monitor isn't the 750 its this one Samsung S27A950D Sorry my bad , But I'm still going to sleep good tonight knowing it's just another buggy software issue :)  Thanks again
December 22, 2012 2:50:17 AM

bystander said:
Oh, one thing about Tridef, once you open it in 3D, you can't open the game in 2D until you reboot. I don't know why, but that is what it does to me.

Many games don't work that well in 3D, but I found a site with mods to fix many games to work. Crysis was one such game that doesn't work well in 3D, but Crysis 2 is awesome with native support.

You can try here. 3D Vision gets better support, but it might help HD3D too:
http://helixmod.wikispot.org/gamelist

EDIT: I just looked on their FAQ section, and unfortunately, that site won't help you. It only works for 3D Vision (Nvidia's 3D).

Hi again I got it fixed at least for now and thought you might want to know how, first I uninstalled all the software and I updated my video drivers then I reinstall the Samsung oem Tridef Software which I tested and was still corrupt, so then I installed the Tridef commercial 3d software Over the Samsung OEM Software, Note towards the end of the installation there is a check box that says setup monitor you must uncheck that box or this will fail for some reason , But after you do this you just have to open the game through the Tridef commercial software and voila everything works ,

It won't ask you for the license be cause you already have the license for the OEM Software , At least that's what I read at another site and it seems to be working :)  I don't know how long it will work because I don't know why it went south in the first place but I've tried a lot of things in the last few days and this Wacky fix is the only thing that's worked :) 

Hope this helps anybody with the same or similar problem , And thanks again bystander I might have given up had you not pointed out the second dvi jack.

February 24, 2013 3:36:08 AM

bazzeruk said:
dont waste your time with a hd 6870 get this as its really well priced and super fast

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/Home/Product/56344/VTX3D-R...

cheap and powerful

its basically a hd 7950

gotta check that dates on stuff, OP started this almost a year ago.

so Im looking for a 3d display for my 6870. was thinking about this one (http://www.amazon.com/Acer-GD235HZbid-Widescreen-23-6-D...). it doesn't come with glasses though, which ones will work for me?

edit: maybe I should have taken my own advise and started a new thread.
!