Sign in with
Your question

Sli good for my system?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2012 1:20:58 PM

Hi, forgive my ignorance but im afraid i am not too knowledgeable on these matters...

I have seen some cheapish nvidia 8800gtx on ebay etc and was thinking on giving my system a little boost by adding an extra gtx in SLi.

My current system is
Q6600
2GB corsair DDR2
2 HDD (1 SATA, 1IDE)
DVDRW
P5N-e SLI motherboardw
wireless network card
8800GTX videa card
arctic 700w PSU
Nothing overclocked at the mo

The first question is whether this will indeed improve gaming performance or whether other components will cause a bottleneck?

Secondly, I am concerned about whether the PSU will handle it - I think i have enough spare molex conectors to convert for the new card, but im not sure the PSU is powerful enough for the job?

Finally any extra tips for the upgrade would be very welcome!!

Thanks in advance for your help!!

More about : sli good system

a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:29:16 PM

Your PSU would most likely handle it... but.. i would just save the money on a new system.
May 15, 2012 1:29:59 PM

Hi, forgive my ignorance but im afraid i am not too knowledgeable on these matters...

I have seen some cheapish nvidia 8800gtx on ebay etc and was thinking on giving my system a little boost by adding an extra gtx in SLi.

My current system is
q6600
2x 1GB corsair DDR2
2HDD - 1 SATA, 1 IDE
DVDRW
ASUS P5N-E motherboard
8800GTX video card
Arctic 700 PSU
Windows XP SP3

Firstly - will the extra card give substantial performance increase, or will other components create a bottleneck?

Secondly - Is this PSU sufficient? I think there are enough molex connectors free that i could convert for PCIe, but not sure about overall power / quality of PSU for the task.

Finally! - Any extra advice regarding pgrading to SLi or the system in general would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers in advance for any help!!
Related resources
May 15, 2012 1:30:59 PM

My current system is
q6600
2x 1GB corsair DDR2
2HDD - 1 SATA, 1 IDE
DVDRW
ASUS P5N-E motherboard
8800GTX video card
Arctic 700 PSU
Windows XP SP3

Firstly - will the extra card give substantial performance increase, or will other components create a bottleneck?

Secondly - Is this PSU sufficient? I think there are enough molex connectors free that i could convert for PCIe, but not sure about overall power / quality of PSU for the task.

Finally! - Any extra advice regarding pgrading to SLi or the system in general would be greatly appreciated!

a c 175 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:35:34 PM

Double post

I'd rather not SLI it, it's too old now, replace it with something newer If possible :) .
May 15, 2012 1:35:51 PM

well Sli works for some games it doubles the gaming performance but a lot of games it wud be only a 50% increase to what ur getting with a single 8800gtx...and yup u will need a PSU upgrade....so forget about Sli...i wud suggest u but a better GPU...
what is ur budget ??
a c 275 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:37:26 PM

If your 700w psu does not have sufficient 6 pin pci-e connectors for a second card, it is indicative of a cheap unit that may not be able to give sufficient power.

The best upgrade you can give your current PC is an upgrade from 2gb to 4gb.

It might not be wrong to upgrade your graphics card to something like a GTX460 or 7770, and sell the 8800GTX.
Such an upgrade could be carried forward eventually to an upgraded CPU/Motherboard.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:37:32 PM

No i wouldn't bother. I would just save up for a new system, sell most of the parts you have here.. and keep the power supply
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:38:40 PM

Two gpu's are always better than one....well nearly always unless the game you are playing does not support sli. You wont' see double the framerates but it will be better. Nvidia recommends a 750W cpu to sli gtx 8800's but you will probably be ok with a 700W. In my experience, the recommened psu is always higher than what you actually need to run. I bought a 1200W psu to run two 6990's as recommended but with an overclocked i7 965, 8 case fans, and two 6990's my total system draw was roughly 800W while doing some hardcore gaming. Spend $20 on a digital wattage meter. They sell them at most hardware stores. You will know exaclty what you are drawing. 2GB of RAM is not very much. I am running windows 7 64 bit on my laptop with internet explorer and norton in the background and my system RAM usuage is currently at 2.1GB. I could see 2GB being a bottleneck for everyday use let alone gaming.
May 15, 2012 1:43:12 PM

hmm, dont you even a little bit concerned about DX11? the 8800 is really old, having another one for SLI makes you hold these cards for another century :p , your PSU is fine can handle the SLI options unless if it doesnt have the cables for an extra card.

if i were u, i get GTX560 and put the 8800 as Phyzx card or sell it and save up for new parts.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:46:22 PM

If you are happy with your system and just want a boost in fps then get a cheap gtx 8800 on ebay and another 2GB of RAM. You can always overclock that q6600 also for a big boost in everyday performance. You will probably need to spend another $30 or so on a decent cpu cooler. I have a Q6600 in my test bench and I have it running at 3.4GHz from the stock 2.4GHz. I actually bought the parts from my neighbour who had it running at that frequency for over 3 years.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 1:49:34 PM

it basically depends on what games you play and what you'll use the extra added power for.

The Q6600 can handle that 8800GTX SLI setup with almost no problems/bottlenecks and the power supply is suffice as well.

Tell me, are you overclocking that Q6600 at all? May be a good option. I had one a few years ago running @ 3.6 GHz and it ran my Radeom 5870 quite well.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 2:08:45 PM

It is actually a triple post. The third thread has exaclty the same content with a slightly different title.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 2:31:31 PM

Quote:

Your processor is still a strong one. Just overclock it to say 3GHz & it will open up higher headroom for your GPU upgrade. Add more RAM to your system to bring it up to 4GB at the least.

Quote:

Yes. It is enough.

Quote:

The 8800GTX is a weak card in today's standard. You are better off buying a new card like nVidia 560 if it fits your budget. Then you can use that 8800GTX for Physx not that it will be useful in many games but it should be in some which supports it. But if you are on a budget & that 2nd 8800GTX you see is insanely cheap, there is possibility to get your graphics performance up at 1 or 2 notch the hierarchy depending on the game. I say its worth a try.
May 15, 2012 3:03:38 PM

My current system is
Q6600
2x 1GB corsair DDR2
2HDD - 1 SATA, 1 IDE
DVDRW
ASUS P5N-E motherboard
8800GTX video card
Arctic 700 PSU
Windows XP SP3

May 15, 2012 3:18:58 PM

It's a great idea as long as you have more money than you know what to do with. You will pay dearly for the small performance increase that your eye can't even see.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 3:22:24 PM

This is such an old card that you might be better served upgrading to newer single card then spending the money on SLI.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 3:49:09 PM

sli is recommended when running at 1920x1080 or higher, with smaller resolutions the gpus dont scale as good
as for psu stay away from molex to pcie adapters and use a pcie 6 pin power cable that comes out of your power supply. 700w should have multiple 6 pin power connections
you should upgrade to 4 gigs of ram, sell your 8800gtx and get something along 7950/gtx670. a single gpu solution will not have driver issues and new games issues if they dont take advantage of Sli
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 4:39:06 PM

How do you see other threads people started?
May 15, 2012 4:59:32 PM

Hi there, apologies for my lack of knowledge but I would like some advice regarding upgrading my computer with a second nVidia 8800 GTX.

Ive seen some relatively cheep on ebay etc and was thinking second card would give my computer a bit of a boost.

My current system:

Q6600
2x1GB Corsair DDR2
2xHDD, 1 SATA, 1 IDE
P5N-E SLI motherboard
8800GTX
Arctic 700 PSU
DVDRW
Wireless card
Windows XP sp3
Nothing is overclocked

Firstly - Would SLi likely give me a decent increase in performance or is there an obvious other bottleneck in the system?

Secondly - Is my PSU capable of handling the extra card? I think i have enough connectors if i adapt a couple of molex connectors but im not sure whether this PSU has the power/quality.

Finally - Any extra advice concerning this upgrade or and other advice for a suitable upgrade would be greatly appreciated!!

Cheers in advance !
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 5:02:47 PM

Is this your fourth post of the same thread? You really should read the forum rules.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 5:04:09 PM

alrobichaud said:
Is this your fourth post of the same thread? You really should read the forum rules.

seventh
May 15, 2012 5:06:15 PM

So sorry - it kept on telling me the page was unavailable when i tried to post, there was no notification of any replies so Ive tried everal times to repost - only to realise that it was posting the thread despite the error message!!

Sorry every1
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 5:16:01 PM

if it is really cheap, of course you can go with it, if your PSU have all the required pci 6+2 pins, it should be enough since it does support SLI and the 8800 should be much of a problem to it.

Of course another card will increase performance, on the games that support SLI, and if the price is good it will worth it.

yes would be a nice idea changing it, since the 8800 is a very outdated card, and unless this one is really really cheap, i would go with something like that:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

May 15, 2012 5:16:36 PM

Cheers for the advice!

Apologies to every1 for reposting the thread several times- I was getting an error message each time saying the page was unavailable only to realise it had been posting after all!!
May 15, 2012 5:22:48 PM

Cheers, yeah the card im looking at are pretty cheap - between £20-£40, unused second hand. Pretty bargain basement upgrade!

Yeah its pretty out of date! Its been playing most things at high or very high settings untill the last year or so, so its only recently been an issue! I guess DX9 makes a difference too.
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 5:24:33 PM

:lol: 
May 15, 2012 5:25:03 PM

Apologies that this thread has been posted several times - was recieveing an error message saying that the page was unavailable only to realise later that it was posting each time I retried!
May 15, 2012 5:27:42 PM

Rather embarassing for my first post on the forum eh!??
a c 273 U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 5:34:16 PM

This next topics has been merged by Mousemonkey
  • SLi a good idea for my system?
  • SLi good for my system?
  • Sli good for my system?
    May 15, 2012 5:43:44 PM

Cheers for the advice - looking at £20-40 for a second hand card, so pretty cheap.

The nVidia 560 seems pretty cheap too - would i really need windows 7 to get the most out of this tho with DX11 etc?
    May 15, 2012 5:45:11 PM

Apologies for multiple posting of this thread - I was getting an error message every time i tried to post only to come back later and c they had all actually posted! How embarassing!
    a b U Graphics card
    May 15, 2012 6:10:37 PM

I think you keep asking this question because you want your system to last twelve years. But idc how many times you ask me, im going to tell you, you can't take a 300$ system and max every program/game for the next 6 years.. Its just not doable. Sometimes we have to face the answer we don't wanna hear. SO i am gonna tell you one last time. Save YOU MONEY. Don't keep throwing money into a eventual lost cause. Within another year your system even with a overclock is gonna be outdated. two 8800GTX's won't handle games on the market. And believe me, after the sneek peaks of the upcoming games. Hardware will be needed
    a c 273 U Graphics card
    May 15, 2012 6:24:36 PM

• Upgrading to SLi a good idea for my system?
  • Is SLi a good idea for my system?
    a c 273 U Graphics card
    May 15, 2012 6:26:56 PM

• Is SLi a good option for my system?
  • Sli a good idea for my system?
    !