Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to Overclock XFX 7770 Double D Black Edition

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2012 5:20:15 PM

Hey, Gamers

I was just wondering how do you overclock GPU's, specifically XFX 7770 I got the Double D Black Edition. I tried to run Crysis 2, at high settings with the new DX11 update and the High Res Texture, I got about 50 FPS at high settings, but it drops at 20-30 fps when, gun fights takes place. I don't know why it does that, is there any reason why? Or is it the game is not supporting my Video Card? It's playable and all, I'm just little curious. Why does it dropped from 50 to 20-30 fps.

2nd Question is

Can I overclock my Video Card, so I could get little better performance than the stock speed? I really don't know how to overclock the GPU. Please help me to get better performance of this card, I really wanna play Crysis 2. I've seen videos on Youtube, they get right around 40-50 fps at Ultra Settings, they don't dropped below 40FPS even when gun fights take place, its amazing, but note they are using the same card (7770)! With that card, it sounds believable and all, but I really would like to get that type of performance of this card

Please Help anyway you can.
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 5:45:46 PM

You need a OC software. Like MSI AfterBurner. Afterburner is what you need to Overclock.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 6:03:29 PM

You can increase the memory and gpu clock in catalyst control center also. I think it is under the performance tab. I use MSI afterburner as Rockdpm has stated. Simply move the slider to the right for the memory and the gpu clock and hit apply. If you went too far, your system will crash when you start a game. You probably should google 7770 overclock guide to get an ide of how much you can overclock that card. Also, DO NOT increase the voltage on the gpu unless you are sure of what you are doing as this is a quick way to fry your card from overvolting. Crysis 2 needs a lot of gpu power especially if you have the high res textures installed. I say overclock that card a bit and turn off high res textures.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7770-7750...

Crysis 2 at 1920x1080 maxed requires at least a 7970 to get over 50FPS. Your card is going to have a hard time even at your settings.
Related resources
May 15, 2012 6:11:39 PM

I tried using the MSI afterburner, and setup the Core Clock at 1150 and I setup up the Memory Clock at max settings other than that I did not change anything. I set the fan speed on auto. I ran GPU Stress test for less than 2 mins, my temps were high at about 71, I turned off the stress test after I saw the temps were really high. I have no idea what i'm doing here! :pfff:  :pfff:  :pfff: 
m
l
May 15, 2012 6:13:43 PM

I also set everything at stock setting for now until I get some support from you guys.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 6:21:33 PM

Is 1150 the max gpu clock you can set? 71 is not too bad considering at stock under load the 7770 runs at 65 degrees according to the benchmark I linked. Also, are you using msi kombuster to stress test? That programs really burns in a gpu harder than a game benchmark will. I did notice that with my new 7970's the max overclock that msi afterburner will let me set is the highest that I can run stable without a voltage increase. I guess AMD did something right with the 7xxx series. my last 6970 and 6990 would allow me to overclock beyond what was stable so it was trial and error to find what I could get away with. If you can run a stress test for 2 minutes then your overclock should be stable.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 6:23:37 PM

Charles_25 said:
I also set everything at stock setting for now until I get some support from you guys.

As long as you don't increase the voltage, overclocking is not going to damage your gpu. Your system will simply crash if the overclock is unstable. We have all had many BSOD's trying to overclock everything from cpu's to gpu's. It is nothing to worry about as long as you don't play with voltages
m
l
May 15, 2012 6:28:41 PM

alrobichaud said:
Is 1150 the max gpu clock you can set? 71 is not too bad considering at stock under load the 7770 runs at 65 degrees according to the benchmark I linked. Also, are you using msi kombuster to stress test? That programs really burns in a gpu harder than a game benchmark will. I did notice that with my new 7970's the max overclock that msi afterburner will let me set is the highest that I can run stable without a voltage increase. I guess AMD did something right with the 7xxx series. my last 6970 and 6990 would allow me to overclock beyond what was stable so it was trial and error to find what I could get away with. If you can run a stress test for 2 minutes then your overclock should be stable.

The Core Clock can get at 1200 MHz but I only have at 1150. Should I try to go max settings, I also put the Memory Clock at 1250 max is this okay at all?
Please answer Thank You very much
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 6:37:21 PM

If you can max the core clock and the memory clock without playing with the voltage and you can run a stress test without crashing then you are good to go! You may want to play with afterburner to set up a custom fan profile. Those DD coolers work really well and you should be able to increase the fan from the default settings to keep the card cooler without generating too much noise from the fans.
m
l
May 15, 2012 6:48:39 PM

alrobichaud said:
If you can max the core clock and the memory clock without playing with the voltage and you can run a stress test without crashing then you are good to go! You may want to play with afterburner to set up a custom fan profile. Those DD coolers work really well and you should be able to increase the fan from the default settings to keep the card cooler without generating too much noise from the fans.

Check out my screen shot when I was running GPU Strees test

<script src='http://img190.imageshack.us/shareable/?i=dsduf.jpg&p=tl' type='text/javascript'></script><noscript></noscript>

My temps were above 71 after I set the Core Clock at 1200 same with the Memory Clock at 1250. I turn the fan speed at 100 percent my temps were like 64-65 at 99 percent load.
is this good?
m
l
May 15, 2012 7:27:20 PM

alrobichaud said:

Hey, bro

You did me a great favor, I'm currently have my GPU overclocked at 1200MHz (Core Clock) and my Memory Clock at 1250MHz, I'm also got my fan speed at 45 percent. When i'm running Crysis 2 my temps are 65-60 below, I got Crysis 2 at very high settings, DX11 enable and turned off the high texture res. I'm getting around 40-50 FPS even during gun fights, which I love. I would've never done it without your help man. Thanks a bunch. Overall, I got Crysis 2 at very smooth game-play because of this guy! :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
m
l
May 15, 2012 7:28:22 PM

Best answer selected by Charles_25.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 15, 2012 7:56:38 PM

Glad I could help! Now you can pass that along to the next person who needs assistance :) 
m
l
!