Sign in with
Your question

confusion about ata100 on older system

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
July 27, 2001 7:56:25 PM

I am considering upgrading an older computer and have a bit of confusion about what will work.

I have a system based around an ASUS P5A motherboard (Super socket 7) with an AMD K6-2 500 running Windows 98SE. I am reasonably certain that the onboard IDE is ATA33. Most of the new hard drives I see for sale are ATA66 or ATA100. From what I have read these *should* function with the ATA33 controller, albeit at a less than optimum speed. However, a few things I have read are confusing.

Some places I have read state that the ATA66 and ATA100 drives require an 80-pin cable but I know the ATA33 controller uses a 40-pin cable. Will the ATA66 and ATA100 drives work with a 40-pin cable?

Will the BIOS for the ATA33 controller handle the much larger capacities of the newer ATA66 and ATA100 drives? How large can I go with an ATA33 controller?

If I buy an ATA100 controller card for a new disk, will it likely "play nice" with the existing ATA33 controller or will I have to disable the onboad controller. Free IRQs are very scarce.

Thanks for any help you can give
July 27, 2001 8:18:34 PM

Q1
Will the ATA66 and ATA100 drives work with a 40-pin cable?

Its downward compatible, yes it will work with the 40-pin cable at ATA33.

Q2
Will the BIOS for the ATA33 controller handle the much larger capacities of the newer ATA66 and ATA100 drives? How large can I go with an ATA33 controller?

How much larger? I have an Abit BH6 that can detect Seagate and Quantum 20gig ATA100 with the latest bios. It should be able to if you have the latest bios.

Q3
If I buy an ATA100 controller card for a new disk, will it likely "play nice" with the existing ATA33 controller or will I have to disable the onboad controller?

Yes it will. To save IRQ, I disable the on-board secondary ide, put my hd on the abit hot rod 100pro (non raid config) and the cdrom on the primary on-board ide.

It don't come easy.......not always.
July 29, 2001 6:43:12 AM

Your onboard controller will handle whatever the largest drive supported by the motherboards BIOS is. It has nothing to do with the drive. Most boards that old only support up to 8.4GB. To support a larger drive it will be necessary to use a newer controller.

Video killed my Radio Card!
July 30, 2001 6:44:36 PM

Come to think of it, get the ATA100 riser card. It should be able to detect the latest drive there is.

It don't come easy.......not always.
!