Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Guild Wars 2 System Upgrade Suggestions

Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2012 6:41:33 PM

I currently have a gaming rig and would like to figure out which component would be the best to upgrade. I am attempting to run guild wars 2 on high settings at a smooth 60fps.

I don't mind dropping $500 or so bucks into my computer.

CURRENT SPECS:
Intel i5 650 @ 3.2GHz (Socket 1156 LGA)
ASUS P7H55 M PRO
12GB Vengeance DDR3
Standard 7200RPM Hard Drive (not solid state)
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti
Air cooled Case and components.

Questions:
What should I upgrade to give the greatest performance increase.

CPU is the older 1156 socket would a new motherboard and new i5 2500k give a substantial jump?

I am thinking the video card is my bottle neck? True? If so should I upgrade my motherboard and go for another 560 ti and do SLI or should I just upgrade to a single graphics card. What are the suggestions here?

I am just looking for where I can invest $500 or so and get the most bang for the buck?

Thanks
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2012 7:03:05 PM

The last beta weekend is 07/20-07/22. I would wait until then to make any decisions. GW2 forum comments after the last one indicated that a lot of people had performance issues (I certainly did), but the game still included a lot of debugging code and had definitely not been optimized. Iirc, comments suggested the game was not yet taking advantage of powerful GPUs. Hopefully the test in two weeks will be with optimized code.
We know that GW2 will have higher requirements than GW, but I would expect that what you have should easily handle it with maxed settings.

Edit: The two systems I have in my .sig should be ideal to test this; modest CPU/powerful GPU vs. a powerful CPU/modest GPU.
m
l
July 8, 2012 10:03:52 PM

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I am not convinced though that my computer will handle the large scale World versus world PvP at a consistant 60 fps on ultra or high settings. That is where I am concerned and want to prepare.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2012 10:27:39 PM

How many mobs will be participating at once? It is true that games like this can become CPU-dependent (consider how your PC behaves when you're in LA or Kamadan during a festival when they are crowded). I definitely don't see your graphics card being the issue. I'd still wait, because GW2 will be very crowded during the beta weekend and you'll be able to compare your instanced vs. non-instanced performance.
m
l
July 8, 2012 10:35:36 PM

I am not sure the total but it is a TON for sure. I fought in many battles that consisted of 3 full raids on screen at once. Something like 30-40 people? While we were siegeing castles. I understand we were in beta. I ran beta fine in the PvE side. But PvP is my focus so I need to know what would the most bang for the buck to bump up in system.

I agree on waiting for the game. But speculations sake what do you feel is the weakest component in my computer and what would offer the largest upgrade for the buck?
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2012 10:51:36 PM

For speculation's sake, I suspect your hyperthreaded dual core CPU would be the bottleneck before your GPU. NCSoft is going to want this game to run well on "average" hardware. If you look at Steam's hardware survey or similar source, you will see your system is better than average. Compared to FPS titles, MMORPG games seem to be more dependent on a powerful CPU, so that would be my guess. Hopefully the last beta weekend will tell the tale, because it will give you over a month to pick your upgrade.
July 8, 2012 11:07:18 PM

Best answer selected by allencoded.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2012 11:16:09 PM

Thanks. I really hope my 970BE handles this game well.
m
l
July 9, 2012 3:09:28 AM

Onus said:
Thanks. I really hope my 970BE handles this game well.

Just noticed on your profile you are from Knoxville. I am from Nashville. Happy Gaming! Hope to see you in Guild Wars 2. I will have to send you a message when the game comes out with my characters name.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
July 9, 2012 1:30:13 PM

Cool beans.
m
l
August 10, 2012 2:22:34 AM

allencoded said:
Just noticed on your profile you are from Knoxville. I am from Nashville. Happy Gaming! Hope to see you in Guild Wars 2. I will have to send you a message when the game comes out with my characters name.

Woah, I'm from Knoxville as well and was needing help upgrading.

Anyways, got any feedback on how your rig handled in the later beta tests or the stress tests? Was thinking of upgrading to a similar rig that you stated in first post. ( I too need something for world vs. world pvp)

Thanks
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 10, 2012 9:48:52 AM

You may wish to start a new thread (a mod may well close this one), but I can tell you that in the 7/20-7/22 Beta, my 970BE+HD7870 performed more smoothly than my i5-3570K+HD7770. I did not get to play in yesterday's stress test, but should be able to today.
m
l
August 10, 2012 5:46:17 PM

I'm using a Corei-7 920 with a GPU Sapphire 5770 Vapor X, the graphics weren't smooth but I can play with no problem in full graphics (BWE2), then I upgraded my GPU to Sapphire 7870 OC (Just for the game during BWE3). I don't lag/stutter anymore with full graphics on and silky smooth.

strangely enough my FPS is around 30-50(can't remember) depending on which map or how many enemies/monsters I see during WvW, i think my CPU is bottlenecking my GPU BUT the game is smooth.

m
l
!