Dead/Stuck Pixels on new Kodak DX7590

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
August 11, 2005 3:53:23 AM

Hello Everyone,

Just bought a new digital camera, the Kodak DX7590. This is a 5MP model with
the 10X zoom lens.

I am very impressed with the camera overall, however, I am very disappointed
that both the electric view finder and built in LCD both have defective
pixels. Are defective pixels still common in today's digital cameras? Do the
digital cameras you all own have the same problem?

The stuck pixels don't seem to hurt anything, but for this price it is
rather annoying to have them on the screen when viewing pictures or showing
them to friends.

Thanks for any information!

James
August 11, 2005 2:39:32 PM

James wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Just bought a new digital camera, the Kodak DX7590. This is a 5MP model with
> the 10X zoom lens.
>
> I am very impressed with the camera overall, however, I am very disappointed
> that both the electric view finder and built in LCD both have defective
> pixels. Are defective pixels still common in today's digital cameras? Do the
> digital cameras you all own have the same problem?
>
> The stuck pixels don't seem to hurt anything, but for this price it is
> rather annoying to have them on the screen when viewing pictures or showing
> them to friends.
>

> Thanks for any information!
>
> James

Yeah, I agree with Mr. Baird - if the same pixels are "stuck" on both
the EVF and LCD, it's on the CCD, not the display; they use different
LCD arrays. Do these dead/stuck pixels appear in the image if you take
a pic with the lenscap held over the lens? Are they also present when
you're viewing menus rather than the CCD's image?

My Oly had a couple bad CCD photosites when I bought it; it's not
noticable unless I take a dark 15 second exposure, though, so I don't
worry about it. After 12 months of use, a couple more have popped up,
but again, they're not affecting normal-light image quality at all yet;
I'm not going to remap the CCD until they do. JPEG compression tends to
"loose" the abberrent pixels - they're averaged out of existence; I can
only see the bad pixels on an image if I take RAW - and then I clone
them out myself.

The LCD on my camera, when examined with a magnifying glass, also shows
a few bad pixels (that are on the LCD, not the CCD - they don't change
when I switch to a menu display), but they're not noticable in the
normal course of things; if you can see them with your naked eye it's
abnormal, and, as Mr. Baird suggested, you should take it back for
exchange.

ECM
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 3:44:03 PM

Hi James,

Sorry to hear about your experience.

This not very common these days, are you sure it is a pixel? Do you have any
sample images that you can share? We can then review and see what the issue
may be. Might be something on the imager? Anyway, since you just bought
it, I would return it and exchange for another. Let me know how you make
out.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"James" <no@one.com> wrote in message
> Hello Everyone,
>
> Just bought a new digital camera, the Kodak DX7590. This is a 5MP model
with
> the 10X zoom lens.
>
> I am very impressed with the camera overall, however, I am very
disappointed
> that both the electric view finder and built in LCD both have defective
> pixels. Are defective pixels still common in today's digital cameras? Do
the
> digital cameras you all own have the same problem?
>
> The stuck pixels don't seem to hurt anything, but for this price it is
> rather annoying to have them on the screen when viewing pictures or
showing
> them to friends.
>

> Thanks for any information!
>
> James

August 12, 2005 3:11:19 PM

"James" wrote:

> I am very impressed with the camera overall, however, I am very disappointed
> that both the electric view finder and built in LCD both have defective
> pixels. Are defective pixels still common in today's digital cameras? Do the
> digital cameras you all own have the same problem?

Hi James, I just bought a Fuji S5500 and it might have the same problem
you have. Through the EVF/LCD there is a bright blue dot which does not
show up when play back pictures on the camera and does not show up when
I put the camera in movie mode. I checked for the dot after transfering
pictures to the pc but it is not there.

> The stuck pixels don't seem to hurt anything, but for this price it is
> rather annoying to have them on the screen when viewing pictures or showing
> them to friends.

It might be a different problem though because playing back pictures is
fine on this camera.

The question is indeed what to do. It might be just a regular anomaly
and sending it back is then a bit nitpickerish. Anyway good luck, Ron
!