Help a first timer with building a PC

Ross11

Honorable
Jul 8, 2012
I need your help with building a PC. This is my first time so some of my questions might look really stupid but I want to be sure so I don't mess it up. I don't have a set budget yet because I am selling some stuff first.

I already have monitor, mouse and keyboard. Here is the main parts that I am planning.

Motherboard- Asus Maximus V Gene
PSU- Corsair GS700 (700w)
Processor- i7 2600k/2700k/3770k (depends on how cheap I can find.)
HDD- 1Tb Seagate SATA III 7200rpm 64mb cache.
GPU- GTX 570/580 or 2xGTX 560 Ti in SLI
RAM- Corsair Vengeance 2x4gb 1600mhz

So my questions are is a 700w PSU adequate, do I need more watts or can I use less? I will definitely be overclocking the gpu as high as I can while remaining stable but if I am overclocking the cpu it will only be by 0.4ghz at most. Is it worth getting a cpu cooler/heatsink like this one http://www.scan.co.uk/products/antec-performance-cpu-cooler-heap-pipe or are they only needed for overclocking the processor by large amounts? If I get a PC case with stuff like a USB 3.0 and headphone port at the front panel will the motherboard or case come with all the necessary connectors and cables? Other than the PC case, PSU, CPU, GPU, HDD, ODD, Motherboard and RAM is there ANYTHING else I need for the PC such as extra fans/cables etc.?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

PS. Does anybody know any good websites like scan.co.uk for buying parts cheap? I live in Ireland so I cannot use US sites unless they have cheap international shipping. So far I am mainly sourcing parts from ebay, amazon and scan.

santaclaws

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I'd keep the 700W PSU, so you have headroom for future upgrades/overclocking. Get the aftermarket cooler, because once you start overclocking it's kinda hard to stop, we wouldn't want to melt a $300 piece of silicon would we now?

The case should come with all the cables you need to connect all your I/O ports together, assuming you don't get some no name brand case. I'd be getting some fans if you're planning on overclocking, I'd check if the case you're getting comes with any fans, because some do come with fans.

I'd recommend getting Corsair components whenever you can. I swear by them. Try on the Corsair Carbide cases, I've got one myself and it looks absolutely stunning and it's built like a tank. :)

BlimeyCorr

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
Is this pc for gaming exclusively or are you doing video editing?.........if gaming only then save some money and only get an i5 processor(K version for overclock).

BlimeyCorr

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012
I bought the parts for my current build from different suppliers (eBuyer, Amazon and Overclockers.co.uk)

This is currently what is being shipped to me and should arrive in the next day or 2:-

MOBO ASRock z77 Extreme 4 (ivy bridge & sli support) £105

CPU i5 3570K Ivy Bridge (over clockable) £180

CPU Cooler Corsair h100 watercooler (needed for O/Cing) £80

GPU MSI Radeon HD 7850 Twin Frozr O/C(can sli in future) £180

CASE Corsair Carbide 500R (fits the Corsair h100) £85

RAM Corsair Vengence 2 x 4GB 1600MHz £40

PSU Corsair GS700 £70-£90

Total £760