FX 8350 overclocking

Hello,

I am thinking about upgrading my system with an FX 8350, and I was wondering if my motherboard would be suitable for overclocking it. My motherboard currently is an Asus M5A87.

Thanks for your help,

Leeski
16 answers Last reply
More about 8350 overclocking
  1. If it's AM3+, then yes.
  2. Make sure your bios is updated before you put the new chip in, just in case
    Moto
  3. Yeah I will update the BIOS, I've checked on the Asus website and it is compatible.

I was really asking because I'd read in a couple of places that people were struggling to OC this chip, so I wanted to get some advice.
  4. The mobo isn't the best but its far from bad,
    I don't see why you would have any problems assuming your cooling is up to it, stock cooler won't let you go more than a couple hundred Mhz
    Moto
  5. Yeah I know it's not top of the range and the chipset is a bit old, but hopefully it'll do the job.
    I have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 heatsink, which is also not the best, but it's about the limit of what fits into my case. I presume this will be enough for a modest OC?
  6. Yup, its a decent enough cooler to keep your temps down, you should be fine
    Moto
  7. Nice one. Quick question, I'm also planning on upgrading my Asus 6770 to a 7870 at some point in the future, will my (cheap) 600W PSU be enough to run an FX8350 and a 7870?
  8. That shouldn't be a problem at all. You should have energy to spare.
  9. Brilliant, thanks guys :)
  10. what kind of "cheap" 600w psu? wouldnt trust any cheap psu. especially not with an overclocked fx8350.
  11. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alpine-Watt-120mm-Gold-Retail/dp/B0056YB0OK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1353309941&sr=8-2

I've had it for about 10 months now, and it hasn't given me any problems as far as I can tell.
  12. Sorry for double post but it won't let me edit.

I won't be getting the 7870 at the same time as the FX8350, so I can always upgrade the PSU at the same time to be on the safe side - what do you think?
  13. i cant find any information about that PSU, or the brand. That is generally a bad sign.
  14. The 8350 is a good chip but it takes a lot of juice when overclocked. A good 600W unit should be plenty but I wouldn't overclock it on your current PSU, it might take your whole system if it blows up! My advice is to either :

1 - Get the 8350 but don't overclock it until you get a new PSU.
    2 - Get a decent 600W+ PSU (The Corsair CX600 is a good cheap option) and you'll be fine overclocking both the 8350 and the 7870 if you get it.

Never cheap out on a PSU!
  15. I can find that Psu for £12, +several to the posts above, if you get the 83, don't try clocking it until you have a good Psu to power it
    Moto
  16. diec4st said:
    The 8350 is a good chip but it takes a lot of juice when overclocked. A good 600W unit should be plenty but I wouldn't overclock it on your current PSU, it might take your whole system if it blows up! My advice is to either :

1 - Get the 8350 but don't overclock it until you get a new PSU.
    2 - Get a decent 600W+ PSU (The Corsair CX600 is a good cheap option) and you'll be fine overclocking both the 8350 and the 7870 if you get it.

Never cheap out on a PSU!

antec have a good range of cheap but good quality psu's along with corsair. good deals on xfx psu' often come up too.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Motherboards