Sign in with
Your question
Solved

In a household with three computers can a internet modem and router be set up to

Last response: in Networking
July 14, 2011 4:06:35 AM

We have three laptops in our house. We are set up with internet that gives me a direct connect and up to eight wireless devices. My son and daughter-in-law use the wireless and I use the direct connect. M son added a router (which I have no idea what that does) and set up networking on his computer (which I also have no idea what that does). When I am the only one on the computer, it flys. When either of them get on thiers too, it slowes a little. When both of them get on, I might as well get off because it can take up to three and a half minutes to load a page. Why is this happening?

Best solution

July 14, 2011 5:50:38 PM

Depending on how sneaky your son is, he could have made his/their connections higher priority so they use a larger portion of the shared bandwidth, making their computers have faster connections and yours slower.
July 22, 2011 9:42:45 AM

Best answer selected by toppel54.
July 22, 2011 9:47:57 AM

survivorsteve said:
Depending on how sneaky your son is, he could have made his/their connections higher priority so they use a larger portion of the shared bandwidth, making their computers have faster connections and yours slower.

Thank you so much for validating what I thought might be happening. He plays on xbox live and hates to not be the fastest and best. I think it's time to make him get his own internet connection.
!