Sign in with
Your question

Looking for suggestion on my next GPU purchase!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2012 7:45:17 PM

Hello everyone! I am new to the forums, and was seeking advice on purchasing a new video card for my desktop computer. My computer knowledge is pretty basic, and I was hoping someone here could help me come up with a suitable upgrade for what I've got to work with. :D 

My current system specs are as follows:

Operating system: Windows 7 Home Premium
Current GPU: PNY Verto GeForce 9600gt
Current PSU: Okia 450 ATX
Current CPU: Pentium Dual-Core E5500 (2.80 ghz)
Current Board: Biostar G31-M7 TE
Current RAM: 3.0 gigs (not sure of brand name)
Current Monitor: LG Flatron W2043t (1600 x 900 res)

I'm sure those parts are outdated by now, but they suffice for the majority of the things I use my computer for (photoshop, web browsing, etc). However, I've recently started playing MMO's online (World of Warcraft, Diablo III, and Star Wars: Old Republic) and would like to pick up a video card that will allow me to run those games smoothly while having the graphics settings as close to maxed out as possible.

I'm looking for a card that's compatible with both my board and psu so that I don't have to spend extra money to upgrade them at this time. I'd like to keep the cost down under $100 if possible, and don't have any real preference of where I would purchase a new card from. Although, I'm on Amazon quite a bit so if that's an option...that would be great!

Thanks for your help in advance :D 
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 7:51:15 PM

Youd need to upgrade your PC period to get them to run smoothly maxed out. However, by replacing your PSU, which im sure is garbage, and buying a 6770 youd get smoother gameplay but not maxed out. Get a good Seasonic, Corsair, Silverstone or Antec power supply 500w or 550w.
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
May 15, 2012 8:27:02 PM

When he says he wants them to run smoothly close to maxxed as possible, he needs to upgrade. The 6770 will run them smoothly but no where near max. That isnt what he said he wanted.
m
l
May 15, 2012 8:30:28 PM

I had a quick question about picking up some more ram. Is there a particular brand you'd suggest for the board I have, and how much total can this one handle?
m
l
!