gnod

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
hello everyone,

i am looking to upgrade my computer parts since the last time i built my computer was in 2008.
Frankly, I haven't followed the market closely and was hoping someone kind enough can share some good builds with me.

I currently have the following:
Antec P180 case
Intel E8400
ASUS PRO 775
Antec EA500W
Seagate 320GB hd
I forgot which video card model I bought and will look for it when i get home.
I only have 4gb ram running with W. Vista. I need to upgrade my windows too..

I haven't used my PC for heavy use in the past - it was mostly for internet browsing with the occasional gaming. I'm not too picky about fps and game performance as long as it plays.

I am more interested in photo editing and processing them. I noticed that it takes a while for Photo shop to process my edits as I work on them. Does anyone have any recommendation on specific product / builds for photos? I plan to purchase new monitor.. dell 2412M to go along with this setup.

thanks everyone!

Hi - for photo editing - your monitor choice is excellent. I think your best bet is to upgrade the processor (if possible w/ur MOBO)
and then the best GPU you can afford. The photo editing will benefit more by an upgraded processor(and another 2-4g ram).

If the Q9450 fits your socket, that's prob a good choice.

Tom

gnod

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Thanks for your response!

What's a good processor out there? I've been reading that the ivy bridge processors are the newest and latest although I haven't fully researched as to why they're the best, yet.

As for the mobo, I'm thinking whatever is compatible with the cpu and gpu i'm looking into?

i've seen a lot of deals on newegg for my new build but am being patient before i order in full near black friday.

as for ram, i'll likely try to max out whatever i can get on the mobo.

btw, has anyone upgraded to windows 8? i have vista (i didn't need to upgrade until now), and was looking into windows 7.

Hi again - Don't think Ivy bridge fits your MOBO's socket, if you're preparing to switch mobo also, then of course you can get Ivy Bridge
(I have i5-3570k wz77 chipset), it uses lga1155 socket, so you can narrow your mobo choices down using that criteria.

You might be fine with just increasing your processor tho.
Maybe post this in the systems forum, stressing your goal is improved photo editing
and not heavy gaming, will get more informed recommendations there I would think.

Tom