Am I running it to the limit with my PSU and the 8800GTX?

Hey community,

I was just wondering, since I just assembled a computer from scratch with spare parts, I'm getting a little worried. I consider myself pretty good at building computers, but with this one I'm just a tad concerned.

I was putting together this computer out of parts I had picked up from around, wherever I could find in my room and from friends who wanted to give it away for free. Here is the list of stuff I have in the computer currently:

-Athlon 64 X2 4600+
-A8M2N-LA
-Nvidia 8800GTX
-IDE Seagate 80GB
-IDE DVD-RW
-IDE CD-R
-Wintec AMP-X 4GB DDR2
-Dynex 520W
-Windows XP Pro 32-bit
-Stock HP enclosuer

The problem lies in the power supply. Its a Dynex 520W (I know it sucks, its all I had lying around, and there are no incoming funds here) which despite the hate has proven to be relatively reliable, and I trust it more than the APower one I found. I'm not sure if the Dynex has what it takes to really power the whole system. It has powered the 8800GTX with the 4600+ before, but now I am not so sure.

I would like to get a new power supply for it eventually, but getting something like a Corsair CX500 would require me to put it into another computer, since the power supply it has is not better. Therefore if I were to pick up a CX500, this computer would end up running with a Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500W (don't judge).

The computer is not running right now, as it needs a new OS. So I will probably replace the HDD to something cheap and SATA in the future, and find a cheap version of XP or 7 or something. I'm not going to be using it until I find that, so I'm not going to blow it up anytime soon.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Gunner

Solution
Drop the CD-R. The system should be ok with a 500W but really would like to see the Amps it can put out on the 12V rail/rails. Look at the PSU and come back.

You will get the knee jerk reaction that nothing but big brand name can make that happen but honestly the system will probably work fine for years without any problems. Just if the PSU goes, it can really take down all your other components with it and that's why people spend good money on that "insurance" for the system.

But since the system is made up of handy down / left over parts, I wouldn't sweat too too much seeing that thing go down in a puff of blue smoke.

EDIT: But ya, if you do pick up one for the better system, the Cooler Master will work just fine and that is the...
It's best buy crap. They don't even list the amps or anything, which usually indicates junk and it's probably more like a 350w than a 520w and it doesn't even meet a basic 80+ efficiency, but it's fine for an old system.

Just don't consider using it for your next upgrade. ;)

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
Drop the CD-R. The system should be ok with a 500W but really would like to see the Amps it can put out on the 12V rail/rails. Look at the PSU and come back.

You will get the knee jerk reaction that nothing but big brand name can make that happen but honestly the system will probably work fine for years without any problems. Just if the PSU goes, it can really take down all your other components with it and that's why people spend good money on that "insurance" for the system.

But since the system is made up of handy down / left over parts, I wouldn't sweat too too much seeing that thing go down in a puff of blue smoke.

EDIT: But ya, if you do pick up one for the better system, the Cooler Master will work just fine and that is the best way to go.

Solution
I actually just removed the CD-R, as its totally un-necessary. The power supply is apparently running with 2 12V rails, with one at 18 and another at 16, which totals to 34. I have an 8600GT I could throw in there for safe measure, but I plan to use this computer for gaming. Nothing too heavy though, like LoL, Civ, and Source/Valve games. Maybe eventually Diablo 3, but I have doubts it will run.

bruce555

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2006
No that's not how you calculate total amperage for your 12V rails. What does the total power for the 12V rails say? Should be in watts ( W ). After you find that on the power supply, divide that number by 12 and you'll get the total amperage.

Ohm's Law. W= V x I

The number of amps per rail listed like that is only what the total load that the rail can take. Doesn't mean both rails can run at full load at the same time. You need to look at total power for the 12V.