Sign in with
Your question

How does this look for a gaming rig?

Last response: in Systems
July 8, 2012 10:15:59 PM

Hello, I have a few questions.

First, are all the parts compatible?
Second, is the motherboard good enough so that I can add another 7870 in crossfire, in the future. (What does PCI Express 2.0 x16: 2 (x16, x4) mean. What does the x4 have to do with crossfire performance?)
And do you think I could OC the CPU safely with the stock heatsink? (Not extreme OC, just up to 4.0Ghz)

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx...

More about : gaming rig

a b B Homebuilt system
July 8, 2012 11:01:20 PM

Long story short : for multi GPU configuration, ideal conditions are 16/16 but if not 8/8 is the next best thing - avoid 16/4 as the impact on performance may hold back your cards. There was an article that investigated this and the above findings are what was stated for PCIex16 gen 2.0 lanes but an updated gen 3.0 investigation may have slightly different conclusions ^^

As for hardware choices : for a gaming rig a simple/stock idea is just a i5 2400/i5 3450, H77 board and a single GTX 670? Multi GPU i would say a HD 7950CF looks too awesome to resist $$/performance/wattage wise :p 
http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-670-2-and-3wa...
m
l
July 9, 2012 2:23:03 AM

thanks for the info on the motherboard and PCIe, however. I DO NOT want an Intel/Nvidia rig. I've always been a fan of the AMD/ATI and enjoy their companies better. :)  Besides, the AMD FX x8 is going to be future proof for a while.
m
l
Related resources
July 9, 2012 3:50:46 AM

TyAaron said:
thanks for the info on the motherboard and PCIe, however. I DO NOT want an Intel/Nvidia rig. I've always been a fan of the AMD/ATI and enjoy their companies better. :)  Besides, the AMD FX x8 is going to be future proof for a while.

Well, realize that by doing so you're sacrificing quality. Don't take that comment as criticism from someone on the Intel/nVidia side (I actually own the 8120 and an XFX Radeon HD 6870, and use them on a daily basis), take it as someone who's used both systems and realized the difference between the AMD, Intel, and nVidia in the current generations of components.

That aside, batuchka pretty much summed up the xFire portion, but if you want a bit more detail; the x4, x8, x16 represents how much data is able to be passed from the card to the CPU. Obviously higher numbers are better, but generally speaking, top tier graphics cards from the last generation of GPUs barely max out an x8 connection on PCIe 2.1, if I recall correctly, so I wouldn't be too concerned about that. If you do end up doing xFire, then the FX-8150 might end up bottlenecking the GPUs capabilities (if you look up the benchmarks, the 4100 is actually better for gaming than any other FX model).

The motherboards look fine for xFire.

Yes, you will more than likely be able to reach 4ghz on air very easily with the 8150. AMD has pretty much flat out stated that this series is meant for overclocking. I might, however, suggest getting Silver Arctic thermal compound instead of the stock paste they give you for attaching the heatsink to the CPU. If you use that, temperature drops of 5-10 degrees are not uncommon. One tube will give you many applications also.
m
l
!