Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Tv Tuner

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
May 15, 2012 10:49:42 PM

So here is my question

Building a new pc that I will put a Hauppauge 2250 tuner card in....

will I be able to receive digital signals via this straight from coax cable....using media center?

I have read some info on cable cards and that it might be needed but i am unsure of how this works? please advise..thanks so much for any help

More about : tuner

a b x TV
May 16, 2012 1:25:44 PM

If you're cable subscription requires a set top box, then you should skip the Hauppauge 2250 and go for a cablecard solution. Cablecard solutions work almost exactly like a set top box you'd get from your cable company. You lease the card from the cable company and install it into the cablecard device. Then it's just a matter of connecting it to your PC/home network (external device) or installing it into your PC (internal device) and attaching the coax cable from wall socket. The set top box is no longer required.

I have the Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E card installed in my HTPC, so if you have further questions, I'd be happy to assist.

-Wolf sends
m
l
May 16, 2012 1:40:48 PM

thanks for the info...i am unfamiliar w cable card device. do
I need that and a tv card for my pc....or does cable card.device hook up directly to my pc and then coax.to that

thank youso much

Wolfshadw said:
If you're cable subscription requires a set top box, then you should skip the Hauppauge 2250 and go for a cablecard solution. Cablecard solutions work almost exactly like a set top box you'd get from your cable company. You lease the card from the cable company and install it into the cablecard device. Then it's just a matter of connecting it to your PC/home network (external device) or installing it into your PC (internal device) and attaching the coax cable from wall socket. The set top box is no longer required.

I have the Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E card installed in my HTPC, so if you have further questions, I'd be happy to assist.

-Wolf sends

m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b x TV
May 16, 2012 3:45:48 PM

The Ceton InfiniTV4 PCI-E is an internal TV Tuner card. The tuner card is installed in my PC. The cablecard is installed into the tuner card. The coax cable from the wall is connected to an input on the tuner card.

External devices such as the SiliconDust HDHomeRun Prime 3CC/6CC or the Hauppauge WinTV-DCR-2650 connect either via a network connection or a USB connection to the PC.

-Wolf sends
May 18, 2012 12:25:28 AM

thanks for your help!
m
l
May 18, 2012 12:25:38 AM

Best answer selected by andyw80.
m
l
May 19, 2012 8:00:43 PM

Hey Wolf..so I have a question..

if i install infinitv4 pci-e into my custom built pc..will i be able to watch tv via that with my xbox 360 on media center....i was reading about the network tuners that I could access the tv program guide through the xbox360 even tho the tuner is on my pc?

thanks
m
l
!