CPU over CLock Temp queston

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
Hey guys, i just overclocked my PC i have a Core i5 3570K CPU at 3.4ghz i overclocked it to 4.6ghz under load while running games it seems to run at 39c is this an ok temp? idle it is around 29 sometimes cooler i like to keep my house cool lol

Solution

That sounds right , normal for that cooler cpu combo , not bad for 4.5

Hi :)

You got the temp WRONG ...its NOT running at 39 unless you live at the North Pole with Santa...

All the best Brett :)

Yeah, I'd say there's literally no chance that it's 39C under load unless you're running sub ambient cooling.

39C is idle temp with a 3570K for a lot of folks, so 39C under load with any type of "normal" cooling would be miraculous. Your room temp would need to be near 0C.

socialfox

Distinguished
Yep just like what the others said those temperatures are abnormal, you could be getting that with a defective temperature sensor. I remember my old Athlon II build used to show 9-15 degrees at idle with the stock cooler and my room temperature was around 20 degrees :lol:

Just for the record, I work at Santa's workshop and I know who's on the good and bad list :)

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
It shows to run under 39c actually i will post some pics tonight when i get home, But i did Download speed fan and under load it is showing the Cores to be alot higher closer to 70c

but one CPU reading is always around 33, and it is the exact same temp with the monitoring software that came with teh ASUS motherboard.

so basically here is how it breaks down, before OC

it was idle around 24-27 degrees Celcius
then load around 30-32

i use a hyper 212 cooler ALSO keep my house at 68F so 20c (i love the cold) ;)

after OC it still idles around 27-28 C and under load ( i have not done a Prime 95 yet) it would go up to a max of 38

BUT when i downloaded SPeedfan it said the same thing HOWEVER it also listed the other cores and they were pushing 70c is this safe or normal? core 2,3,4 and one of the CPU readings was around 33-38 which i think is the overall heat?

Clock Speed is currently 4.532

socialfox

Distinguished
39 for idle and 70 is typical for that overclock temperature. Have you run prime 95 yet? That will tell you the max temperature your CPU with that clock and you probably wont experience that temperature doing normal things such as gaming and other stuff. Anyways do print screen that temperature image and post it up.

Anyways is this the stock cooler? Or an aftermarket cooler?

Edit: seen you just updated your post, I'm going to say you whatever your using is telling you the wrong thing and you should use speedfan instead. Anyways try these:

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
or
http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Both seem to tell me the correct temperatures on my processor. I also urge you to check the bios temperatures to get a true temperature reading, but it wont be idle nor load. It would be something in the middle.

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

I am using Speedfan now, As soon as i get home tonight i will Post pictures. I am using the Hyper 212 Cooler, I am also using the Diamond Thermal Paste. made by Antec formula 7 i think.

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012
Here is the idle temps

GPU 42c
GPU 38c
system 20c
CPU 25c
CPU 34c
Local 33c
REmote 2: 34c
CPU 31c
Local 30c

Sorry guys not seeing an option to post a screen shot and here is the temps under 47.7% load

GPU 84c
GPU 73c
system 25c
CPU 35c
CPU 76c
Local 63c
REmote 2: 76c
CPU 66c
Local 57c

why does that one CPU stay so low? it also matches exaclty what the ASUS monitor software says.

First of all, do what socialfox said, and try the programs he linked. SpeedFan has issues with newer Intel hardware.

Second, you can just upload the screen shot to a site like Imageshack and post the link here, using the image tag

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

Ok thank, Coretemp seems to be way more accurate.

Hosting image now.

rdizz81

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2012

well this makes me happy... :bounce:

is there any benefit to running prime 95 for 24hours? or is that potentially dangerous to the machine?

socialfox

Distinguished

No harm I know of, your processor should shut itself off if temperatures rise to the extremes, and even before that I believe it will throttle itself prior to shutting off to lower temperatures. Though I believe 1-2 hours will tell you your true temperatures, I myself find no difference in temperatures from 2 hours to the entire night (6-8 hours).

socialfox

Distinguished
Intel Burn test or Prime 95 for at least 3 hours? Not too sure about how many hours but I believe Prime 95 is a good way to check for stability.

When I overclocked my processor I ran Prime 95 for the entire night (roughly about 6-7 hours).

TRENDING THREADS