Sign in with
Your question

Buying new pc.. have some questions

Last response: in Systems
July 9, 2012 12:12:22 AM

Hello everyone, I want a new computer and have a couple of questions I want to solve..

I am currently using the following laptop:

i7 2630 QM
8 gb ram
GTX 560M

What the new desktop will be used for:

Streaming Video Games like League of Legends/Guild Wars 2( using Twitch.tv.) in 1080p

I want to be able to have 60+ fps on atleast medium/high settings for games while watching youtube and running xsplit( for streaming to twitch.tv)

Right now, on my current laptop. My laptop starts overheating/making turns of noise when I stream..It averages 40 some fps and drops occasionally in teamfights and ram used would be around 5.x GB and CPU usage would be around 60 percent
--

Sorry for the detailing, but here are my questions.

My budget is $1600, but I am willing/wanting to save. I am a college student and my parents refuse to buy me a PC for me to game.. so this is money I made during the summer.

1. What kind of Processor? I5 3570k or i7 2600k/3770k

I researched and it said i7 takes advantage of multithreading which isn't really useful for video games, but good for video rendering and heavy photoshop editing. I don't use much photoshop or render videos much, but I will be streaming on twitch.tv. Is that a form of video rendering? Would i7 really benefit me?

2. 8 gb vs 16 gb ram.

According to my usage, how much ram should I get? Of course , I can always get more later. But I think watching youtube/while playing LoL/while streaming to twitch.tv/surfing web takes atleast 5 gb of ram for me currently

3. Graphics card.. which one? Radeon 7970, 7950, 7850, 7770, 7870, GTX 570/670..etc. or sli/crossfire?

I prioritize lag free/high fps rather than ultra graphics. I am comfortable and fine with medium/high graphics on League of Legends.. not sure about Guild Wars 2, but medium would probably be fine

With that said, I looked up online and people seem to recommend 670 and 7970. I suppose this is really important for fps when I multitask?

4. SSD drive and HDD drive.

Alright, I want to get a SSD drive and HDD drive for data.

What sizes should I be getting? I am currently only using 150 GB on my laptop.

I want to load games fast like Witcher 2. How would this work? Would I need to install the Witcher 2 on my SSD in order for it to load fast? For the most part, I only install games, and I want my games to run/load fast. Would the SSD help my loading time for games even if I install it in the HDD?

5. Motherboard.. I am looking at a sli/crossfire ready motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H Intel Z77 Chipset DDR3 ATX Mainboard

2x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 2 PCI ( crossfire/not sli ready)

would this be enough slots for crossfire and a PCIE wireless expansion card?

or should I get 3x Gen3 PCIe x16, 3x PCIe x1 & 1 PCI( SLI/crossfire rdy, 30 dollars extra)

sorry for the long read and thank you very much

More about : buying questions

July 9, 2012 12:19:03 AM

Quote:
I researched and it said i7 takes advantage of multithreading which isn't really useful for video games, but good for video rendering and heavy photoshop editing. I don't use much photoshop or render videos much, but I will be streaming on twitch.tv. Is that a form of video rendering? Would i7 really benefit me?

No - video streaming requires very little processing power, a G620 can handle video streaming. The only time the i7 would benefit is if you're using heavy duty Photoshop or CAD / 3D programs.

Quote:

I prioritize lag free/high fps rather than ultra graphics. I am comfortable and fine with medium/high graphics on League of Legends.. not sure about Guild Wars 2, but medium would probably be fine

With that said, I looked up online and people seem to recommend 670 and 7970. I suppose this is really important for fps when I multitask?

AMD just released a new firmware update for the 7970 that has it kicking some major ass - it puts it within a frame or two of the 670: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-...

The GTX 670 will handle everything on ultra as well and it's more value oriented.

Quote:

128GB SSD, 1TB hard drive. I don't recommend any SSD over 128GB because of the incredibly high cost per GB. They'll come down in price but not any time soon.

Quote:

The D3H is a good board, but the UD5H will be better for an SLI setup.

Does the $1600 budget include monitor / keyboard / mouse / OS? Because the setups will look completely different if they do.
m
l
July 9, 2012 12:32:51 AM

I would say an i5-3570K. The i7=i5, except for hyperthreading, which doesn't make a world of a difference except in CAD, like g-unit said above. LoL and GW2 are low-requirement, and those GPU's will max them out, no problem. I'd suggest either the 7970 or 670 to make this future-proof. An SSD really does help in game loading times, but it won't increase FPS. A 64GB/90GB SSD as boot drive and some games would suit your purposes. If you put the game on the HDD, the SSD will do nothing, for the most part. If you get an Nvidia GPU, and you plan on SLI, that mobo for $30 is what you'll need. 2 slots are enough for mult-GPU setups, unless, of course, you want 3 or 4. If you just plan on Crossfire, that mobo for $30 will be what you want to get.
m
l
Related resources
July 9, 2012 12:32:59 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Quote:

No - video streaming requires very little processing power, a G620 can handle video streaming. The only time the i7 would benefit is if you're using heavy duty Photoshop or CAD / 3D programs.

Quote:

AMD just released a new firmware update for the 7970 that has it kicking some major ass - it puts it within a frame or two of the 670: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-hd-7970-ghz-...

The GTX 670 will handle everything on ultra as well and it's more value oriented.

Quote:

128GB SSD, 1TB hard drive. I don't recommend any SSD over 128GB because of the incredibly high cost per GB. They'll come down in price but not any time soon.

Quote:

The D3H is a good board, but the UD5H will be better for an SLI setup.

Does the $1600 budget include monitor / keyboard / mouse / OS? Because the setups will look completely different if they do.

I want to be able to stream 1080p to Twitch.tv while playing video games and listening to music on youtube, it won't have a strain on my processor?

Does the $1600 budget include monitor / keyboard / mouse / OS? Because the setups will look completely different if they do

I have a monitor, keyboard, mouse.. I am not sure if I have an OS.

So I am using a windows 7 64 bit laptop and it has a serial key on the bottom. Does that mean I have windows 7 OS? Would I be able to install it on the new comp with the serial key under the laptop? If so, how can I do this/

Thank you very much

m
l
July 9, 2012 12:36:32 AM

Nope. You can;t.
m
l
July 9, 2012 12:40:56 AM

Urm, so how much ram should I get? So i5 ok for streaming to twitch?

I am switching my major to computer science next semester if that makes any difference
m
l
July 9, 2012 12:45:30 AM

What do you mean by streaming to Twtch? Uploading you mean? 8GB will be plenty. Windows, and even the most intensive game only take up about 3-4GB combined, so you have lots of RAM left over.
m
l
July 9, 2012 12:55:17 AM

We can't see the partlist.
m
l
July 9, 2012 1:16:17 AM

i had a 128g ssd and windows 8 a z77 sabertooth and i5 cpu. it quite fast in gaming. when you build a pc not only are you going to trade price for performace you also have to know what wil lfit and what your looking for know and in a few years if you want to keep the pc for a few years. allways start off with a good power supply and a good gaming case. (you can always add led or a fan contoller if you want to speed up or slow down your pc. ). cases like the r300/r400. have nice large vents on top and side.
also the case has wire management and has the room for long video cards. with the motherboard not only do you have to look at features..look at the video card slot spacing and if the slots run at 8x or 4x with two cards and if there room for a wifi card or sound card if you want one.also how many usb or extra ports the mb has and where the ports are on the mb. some mb are better build from an eng/user stand point. where the front header is and where the usb ports are..will a video card or case block them. how many ports are on the mb. walk into a local micro center or local computer meet..pick up a few mb you can tell from holding a mb how well it built..most good mb have a lot of layers. some mb like mine has a usb flashback..it great if a bios gets damaged i can flash it back from a usb stick..also want to use good fans and a good cpu heat sink. with good case fans..low noise. with a good after-market heat sink...cpu stays cool...lives a long time. with hard drives..read the warranty now online and read the reviews and online reviews to see if the brand your looking at has a high failure rate. seagate had a bios issue on some drives that causes them to brick after so may power cycles). with an ssd try and stay with name brand link intel or samsung. they use there own firmware and most time work fine right out of the box for years. a lot of the other vendors by brand x overseas and toss there name on it. the trick with a good game system is take your time building it and keep the cables neat. if your collage has an it dept see if you can do some free work and repair. (learning how to debug a pc is 1/2 of building a good pc.) as your going to have to fix it if it dies.
m
l
July 9, 2012 3:50:00 AM

ASUS 24X DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS - OEM
$16.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER Storm Scout SGC-2000-KKN1-GP Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
$79.99 and a $10 rebate makes the final build $69.99 and free shipping.

Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I73770K
$349.99 and free shipping.

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO RR-212E-20PK-R2 Continuous Direct Contact 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler Compatible with latest Intel 2011/1366/1155 and AMD FM1/AM3+
$34.99 and free shipping.

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CML8GX3M2A1600C9B
$54.99 and free shipping.

ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$169.99

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply
$89.99 and a $10 rebate makes the final price $79.99 and free shipping.

EVGA 02G-P4-2678-KR GeForce GTX 670 FTW 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
$409.99 and a $10 rebate makes the final price $399.99.

SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC256B/WW 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$274.99 and free shipping.

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
$139.99 and free shipping.

The total for this build comes to $1591.90 and includes the OS and 8gb of ram if there is a need for additional ram then a second set of the same ram can be added.

This build has a 256gb SSD for a hard drive and if more storage is needed a conventional HD can be added later.
m
l
July 9, 2012 3:54:31 AM

I know this sounds dumb, but just get Home Premium.
m
l
!