Power Supply high pitched squeal after motharboard replacement

Captinmunkie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I recently RMA'd my Asus Sabertooth 990FX for a replacement, and up until then, my power supply has been fairly silent. After I put the new replacement board in, as soon as I plugged it in and turned it on, I heard the squeal. I put my ear up to the power supply, and it's definitely coming from there.

What would cause this all of a sudden..? The new motherboard is the problem, or the power supply? It seems odd that it would just suddenly start doing this. It may also be worth noting, the squealing changes pitch depending on what I'm doing.. Like for example, when I first started my PC this morning, and I opened up Chrome and all my web pages were loading, it was squealing pretty aggressively all of a sudden, with a higher pitch. Weird huh?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817379007 = my power supply

Diademist

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hi, sound coming from PSU and everything works ok ? By the look of the description it could be the PSU. Tested it? If not then go with Prime95 or S&M stress test. Both of them have the test for it.

Captinmunkie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I just ran prime95, and a gpu stress tester, both of those caused the squealing sound to go mad. So the more load that's on the system (i'm imaging whatever's sucking the most power), makes it worse.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010
have you got another system/psu - motherboard+cpu+fan you can test?

i had a similar problem a year ago, swapped out psu and it wasnt that as noise persisted, tested it and it was cpu wine

im convinced now the psu was drowning out cpu wine.

fans can make that kind of noise as well, doubt its the motherboard if its brand new

Captinmunkie

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Dont have any spares to try, no.. What I don't understand, is how everything could run perfectly fine before, and right after, with all the same parts except the new motherboard (same model), the high pitched squealing.

Could it possibly be the motherboard? I put my ear up to the sound, and it's hard to tell if it's coming from the power supply, or the bottom of my motherboard (my case mounts the power supply at the bottom of the case, right below the motherboard), but it's definitely one or the other. I noticed the sound changes even when I'm in the BIOS, when I move my mouse around or click stuff.

shanky887614

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2010

what brand power supply are you using?

would suggest spending at least $40-50 minimum on a quality powersupply

as everything is directly plugged into it if it goes. it will create a big whole in your wallet