Gtx 680 with Virtu MVP... Experiences?

spazcase1

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Hi I am new to the site so please forgive if I posted wrong section/or already covered in another thread. I sold my baby, gtx 590 and am awaiting a gtx 680 in the mail (maybe sli eventually), recently upgraded mobo's to the asus sabertooth z77. I just learned about virtu MVP.. Did some research and it looks pretty nifty.. I was wondering who has had experiences with the 680 and virtu MVP.. The benchmarks I saw only put the 680 up a couple, maybe a few percent in some cases... So is it really as good as it seems?

Solution
Virtu MVP is not designed to increase your framerates. It's designed to decrease input lag by prevent unnecessary frames from being rendered. The fact that framerate monitoring utilities report higher framerates is merely a byproduct.

Games will not run more smoothly under Virtu MVP, because that's not what it's designed to do. There is a huge amount of misinformation about it flying around right now, and TweakTown reviewed the technology as if it were some framerate boosting technology, completely missing the point and coming to the wrong conclusion.

If you're curious as to what Virtu MVP is really all about, read Anandtech's article on it.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Virtu MVP is not designed to increase your framerates. It's designed to decrease input lag by prevent unnecessary frames from being rendered. The fact that framerate monitoring utilities report higher framerates is merely a byproduct.

Games will not run more smoothly under Virtu MVP, because that's not what it's designed to do. There is a huge amount of misinformation about it flying around right now, and TweakTown reviewed the technology as if it were some framerate boosting technology, completely missing the point and coming to the wrong conclusion.

If you're curious as to what Virtu MVP is really all about, read Anandtech's article on it.

Solution
I have not used it on a 680, but I have used the older version of Virtu(Z68 with an AMD card). This frame rate improvement may be at the cost of video quality, but the old one does not have this feature so I can not test it.

Personally I found it worked out fairly well.

+It made the onboard card deal with videos so your other card was free to do other things like game(Some cards drop get stuck in a "Video" clock when a video is played even if you are playing a game as well).
+Was fairly transparent once setup
+Onboard has enough power for most general uses leaving the dedicated card clocked down and cooler/quieter running.

-None of the Nvidia/AMD control panel options will work. So force settings are not usable(this sucks since Nvidia has very nice per game settings in the control panel), just in game settings.
-Some users may find windows animations a bit less smooth(its not too bad with the intel 300 and new 4000 graphics).
-Some games just do NOT work(but many older games will run on the integrated any way) with this system and others may have bugs. The Old Republic, while working, the game keeps lowering the texture quality on its own even if it says it is at max. I think that is a detection issue.
-I think it will break SLI

As you can see, you have things to gain and some things to loose. Since the software is free with the board, give it a try and see how you like it.

You can also use Virtu(At least the older one) in another manner with everything running off the dedicated card while leaving the integrated card to deal with video compression and other Intel accelerated features.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

As I said before, TweakTown had no idea what they were talking about when they wrote that article. The fact that they've not corrected their massive error is incredibly unprofessional.

To reiterate, Virtu MVP is not designed to inflate your framerates. The fact that it does is not at all intended, and your games are not actually running at the stated framerate. Virtu MVP prevents frames from being rendered, it does not in any way cause more frames to be rendered.

spazcase1

Honorable
May 13, 2012
Hey thanks a lot, im starting to play a lot of bf3 and noticed my 590 had a lot of micro stutter in sp. Even with vsync on I was experiencing things, whether that be tearing, micro stutter, so on. So after some research I decided to go with a single gpu configuration... Thanks for the answer!

spazcase1

Honorable
May 13, 2012

That's a great article and awesome response. All the homework I did on it, I never came across that article. Thank you!! Looks like it will have it's benefits but perhaps not in the way I maybe thought it would. Thanks!

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010

No. Vsync eliminates tearing, which is already supported universally by every card and every game. Virtu MVP is something on top of that.

In short, Vsync puts an upper limit on your framerate of your monitor's refresh rate. This stops the monitor from refreshing while a frame is partially drawn on top of the old one (which is what causes tearing). This technology has been around forever.

Virtu MVP goes a step farther by allowing the card to continue attempting to render frames, only it intercepts the call to render the frame and makes it do nothing if the frame wouldn't be displayed (this happens when your framerate exceeds your monitor's refresh rate). As a result, the game can handle user input with less latency.

Think of Virtu MVP as Vsync+. All it does is make the game more responsive.