NEED HELP NEWBIE OVERCLOCK

BlingKaChing

Honorable
Oct 28, 2012
i have a p67 mobo, core i7 2600k @ stock 3.4 ghz, turbo 3.8ghz on and I wanna know what to change these settings to on eOS(easy overclock)tool on my ECS mobo to, inorder to run it at 4.2-4.5ghz?

defaultl.png

blacknemesist

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2012
You dont want to use software to OC it.

1)Start the computer and go into bios.Look for the CPU multiplier and increase it by one(1).
2)Start the computer and in windows run prime95 for a few hours.Run HWmonitor and make sure your CPU doesnt get to 80ºC.
3)If no crashes occur then repeat steps 1) and 2).If it crashed then go to step 4).If max temp is 80ºC or more then go step 5).
4)Restart computer and go into bios.Increave Vcore by the minimum possible.Go back to step 1).
5)Your CPU is very hot and should not be OCed more unless you install a better heatsink or install more fans.If you install fans/heatsink repeat prime95 at the previous multiplier.If the temps dropped below 80ºC then start back at step 1).If they didn´t you reached the maximum safe OC.

Note:It is a great idea that everytime you sucessfully OC the CPU using multipliers to save the profile.If you after sucessfully OC it to higher stable clocks save the profile again.
During the summer room temperatures will rise so it is harder to keep the CPU colder.I suggest you keep HWmonitor always running when gaming and checking the temps when you are done.If temps are above 80ºC you should decrease the multiplier and Vcore via bios.It is also a good idea to create a excel file and record the multiplier and corresponding Vcore on sucessful OCs so when you need to drop the OC a bit you instantly know what to input into the bios.

scorpinock2

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
I agree with the above but I want to add in that you should up the voltage to the RAM, south bridge chipset, and northbridge chipset so that you can increase your BUS speed from 100 Mhz to something higher (this speed times your CPU multiplier= your clock speed). This way you can get the same overclock but your RAM is also faster (providing you have heat spreaders on it!!!!!) and if it crashed you can manually step the RAM speed down, and you also take a lot of heat off of the CPU as you don't need to crank the multiplier as high to get the same overclock as the method mentioned above. This method spreads the heat around a little more over your components but if you have adequate airflow in your case it will not shorten the life of your motherboard or RAM, and take heat away from the CPU, thus increasing its overclocked lifespan.

Hi :)

Then research it FIRST , so YOU understand what you are doing or you may blow both the CPU and motherboard....AND NO COMPANY WILL ACCEPT AN RMA for bad overclocking...

All the best Brett :)

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Ignore this or you risk damaging your computer. The whole post is completely wrong. You overclock Sandy Bridge processors via the unlocked multiplier NOT the BCLK or bus. Also higher speed RAM makes no difference with these processors due to the integrated memory controller not being able to use anything faster than DDR3 1600.

Please do not post this crap again.

Do you have aftermarket cooling? If not then it's not safe to overclock. There s a very good guide stickied at the top of the Overclocking section of these forums. I suggest you start there.