Dell sued over bait & switch advertising

On 24 Feb 2005 07:04:43 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dell sued over bait-and-switch charges | CNET News.com
>http://news.com.com/Dell+sued+over+bait-and-switch+charges/2100-1047_3-5587443.html?tag=st.pop
>
> Yousuf Khan

Martha Stewart out, Michael Dell in. ;-).

RM

Robert Myers wrote:
> On 24 Feb 2005 07:04:43 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Dell sued over bait-and-switch charges | CNET News.com
>>http://news.com.com/Dell+sued+over+bait-and-switch+charges/2100-1047_3-5587443.html?tag=st.pop
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>

> Martha Stewart out, Michael Dell in. ;-).

But can he turn an 8 by 12 jailcell into an ergonomic and aesthetic
tour-de-force? :)

Yousuf Khan

On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:53:43 -0500, Robert Myers wrote:

> On 24 Feb 2005 07:04:43 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Dell sued over bait-and-switch charges | CNET News.com
>>http://news.com.com/Dell+sued+over+bait-and-switch+charges/2100-1047_3-5587443.html?tag=st.pop
>>
>> Yousuf Khan
>
> Martha Stewart out, Michael Dell in. ;-).
>
> RM

OK let me get this straight, out is good, in is bad!

Last I heard Martha hired a personal chef to cook for her when she gets
out, how would you like that job! Now thats a good thing! rofl.
http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/stewart%20lines%20up%20top%20chef

What ever happened to the saying, in like Flint!

I was surprised that this did not happen sooner, I also wonder how long
the product life for parts is at Dell. I mean can you still get parts for
certain models over three years old. I bet a lot of businesses are having
problems, regret their purchase.

When I am near my local University, I sometimes walk through their
computer centers, and I see lots of systems down for repairs, most are
Dells. I bet they do not like the techs/students lab assistants, to dig
into their machines,due to contract issues, other such stuff. Does Dell
still use their own funky, power supply that only work with their
hardware. I know at one time people were trying to take motherboards out
of Dells use them in their own system, but could not due to power supply
wiring issues.

Gnu_Raiz

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:38:21 -0600, Gnu_Raiz
<Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:

> I know at one time people were trying to take motherboards out
>of Dells use them in their own system, but could not due to power supply
>wiring issues.

Some stores sell adapters that get around that issue.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:38:21 -0600, Gnu_Raiz
<Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 19:53:43 -0500, Robert Myers wrote:
>
>> On 24 Feb 2005 07:04:43 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Dell sued over bait-and-switch charges | CNET News.com
>>>http://news.com.com/Dell+sued+over+bait-and-switch+charges/2100-1047_3-5587443.html?tag=st.pop
>>>
>>> Yousuf Khan
>>
>> Martha Stewart out, Michael Dell in. ;-).
>>
>> RM
>
>OK let me get this straight, out is good, in is bad!
>
>Last I heard Martha hired a personal chef to cook for her when she gets
>out, how would you like that job! Now thats a good thing! rofl.
>http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/stewart%20lines%20up%20top%20chef
>
>What ever happened to the saying, in like Flint!
>
>I was surprised that this did not happen sooner, I also wonder how long
>the product life for parts is at Dell. I mean can you still get parts for
>certain models over three years old. I bet a lot of businesses are having
>problems, regret their purchase.

The problem is that the only real alternative for large business is
HPaq, and it's not like that's an improvement! I'm actually surprised
that it's JUST Dell that they're going after, since HP and Dell are
kinda reminiscent of the US government system of two parties that are
really just the same thing :>

>When I am near my local University, I sometimes walk through their
>computer centers, and I see lots of systems down for repairs, most are
>Dells. I bet they do not like the techs/students lab assistants, to dig
>into their machines,due to contract issues, other such stuff. Does Dell
>still use their own funky, power supply that only work with their
>hardware. I know at one time people were trying to take motherboards out
>of Dells use them in their own system, but could not due to power supply
>wiring issues.

Funky power supplies are pretty much the norm for big OEMs, the trick
with Dells is that they were physically identical to standard ATX
supplies but where electrically different. Made it just too tempting
for people to try swapping out the board or power supply with a
standard one that just wouldn't work. With HPaq supplies, for
example, they are still non-standard, but at least you KNOW that they
are non-standard since they won't fit into an ATX connector without
the use of a decently large hammer.

-------------
Tony Hill

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:42:01 -0500, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 00:38:21 -0600, Gnu_Raiz
><Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:

>>> Martha Stewart out, Michael Dell in. ;-).
>>>
>>> RM
>>
>>OK let me get this straight, out is good, in is bad!
>>
>>Last I heard Martha hired a personal chef to cook for her when she gets
>>out, how would you like that job! Now thats a good thing! rofl.
>>http://www.contactmusic.com/new/xmlfeed.nsf/mndwebpages/stewart%20lines%20up%20top%20chef
>>
>>What ever happened to the saying, in like Flint!
>>
>>I was surprised that this did not happen sooner, I also wonder how long
>>the product life for parts is at Dell. I mean can you still get parts for
>>certain models over three years old. I bet a lot of businesses are having
>>problems, regret their purchase.
>
>The problem is that the only real alternative for large business is
>HPaq, and it's not like that's an improvement! I'm actually surprised
>that it's JUST Dell that they're going after, since HP and Dell are
>kinda reminiscent of the US government system of two parties that are
>really just the same thing :>
>
>>When I am near my local University, I sometimes walk through their
>>computer centers, and I see lots of systems down for repairs, most are
>>Dells. I bet they do not like the techs/students lab assistants, to dig
>>into their machines,due to contract issues, other such stuff. Does Dell
>>still use their own funky, power supply that only work with their
>>hardware. I know at one time people were trying to take motherboards out
>>of Dells use them in their own system, but could not due to power supply
>>wiring issues.
>
>Funky power supplies are pretty much the norm for big OEMs, the trick
>with Dells is that they were physically identical to standard ATX
>supplies but where electrically different. Made it just too tempting
>for people to try swapping out the board or power supply with a
>standard one that just wouldn't work. With HPaq supplies, for
>example, they are still non-standard, but at least you KNOW that they
>are non-standard since they won't fit into an ATX connector without
>the use of a decently large hammer.

So the HPaq connector has different keying for the connector? Is this
something that HP learned from Compaq? I remember the old proprietary
keyboard conectors that Compaq used to have - what a rip-off. All the same
I'd have thought both Dell and HPaq would have the same wires with the same
power and ground connections... just in a different order. In that case a
Molex pin extractor, and a used standard connector for the case of HPaq,
would be all you'd need to rearrange things to the standard order.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

YKhan> Dell sued over bait-and-switch charges | CNET News.com
YKhan> http://news.com.com/Dell+sued+over+bait-and-switch+charges/2100-1047_3-5587443.html?tag=st.pop

YKhan> Yousuf Khan

It was about time. My friend's son worked for dell in sales, and to
say the least dell has some very interesting sales techniques. I'm
sure other companies use them, but dell is very good at sales.

It still amazes me though that some folks believe everything sales
agent says ;-)). When they find out that have been taken for a ride,
they sue like hell ;-)).

I guess the next suite will be intel for hot chips!

Whatever.

"Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On 24 Feb 2005 07:04:43 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >Dell sued over bait-and-switch charges | CNET News.com
>
>http://news.com.com/Dell+sued+over+bait-and-switch+charges/2100-1047_
3-5587443.html?tag=st.pop

> > Yousuf Khan
>
> Martha Stewart out, Michael Dell in. ;-).

There are criminal trials (such as the one Martha lost), and there are
civil suits (such as the one against Dell the company, not Mike the
chairman). Nobody goes to jail for losing a civil suit. Especially
if the losing party is a company. ;-)

"Tony Hill" <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

> >I was surprised that this did not happen sooner, I also wonder how
long
> >the product life for parts is at Dell. I mean can you still get
parts for
> >certain models over three years old. I bet a lot of businesses are
having
> >problems, regret their purchase.
>
> The problem is that the only real alternative for large business is
> HPaq, and it's not like that's an improvement! I'm actually
surprised
> that it's JUST Dell that they're going after, since HP and Dell are
> kinda reminiscent of the US government system of two parties that
are
> really just the same thing :>

The Apple computer company is being sued in civil court (in the UK?)
for selling used parts and computers as new parts and computers. It
would appear the problem is endemic in the computer industry. If the
box has been opened, is the part/computer used??

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:44:57 GMT, "Felger Carbon" <fmsfnf@jfoops.net>
wrote:

>"Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On 24 Feb 2005 07:04:43 -0800, "YKhan" <yjkhan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Dell sued over bait-and-switch charges | CNET News.com
>>
>>http://news.com.com/Dell+sued+over+bait-and-switch+charges/2100-1047_
>3-5587443.html?tag=st.pop
>> >
>> > Yousuf Khan
>>
>> Martha Stewart out, Michael Dell in. ;-).
>
>There are criminal trials (such as the one Martha lost), and there are
>civil suits (such as the one against Dell the company, not Mike the
>chairman). Nobody goes to jail for losing a civil suit. Especially
>if the losing party is a company. ;-)

I hope you aren't so precise when someone tells a joke at a party,
Felger.

In any case, I'm beginning to wonder if you and that outlaw Michael
Dell don't belong to the same club. ;-).

RM

keith

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:44:58 +0000, Felger Carbon wrote:

> "Tony Hill" <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>>
>> >I was surprised that this did not happen sooner, I also wonder how
> long
>> >the product life for parts is at Dell. I mean can you still get
> parts for
>> >certain models over three years old. I bet a lot of businesses are
> having
>> >problems, regret their purchase.
>>
>> The problem is that the only real alternative for large business is
>> HPaq, and it's not like that's an improvement! I'm actually
> surprised
>> that it's JUST Dell that they're going after, since HP and Dell are
>> kinda reminiscent of the US government system of two parties that
> are
>> really just the same thing :>
>
> The Apple computer company is being sued in civil court (in the UK?)
> for selling used parts and computers as new parts and computers. It
> would appear the problem is endemic in the computer industry. If the
> box has been opened, is the part/computer used??

There is usually a sticker on the system or disclaimer somewhere in the
documentation something on the order of "all components in this ______ are
new or equialent to new" to get around this "problem". I've seen these
"warnings" in automobiles, even. This isn't something strange amH,vil.
....well perhaps a little bad. ;-)

--
Keith

keith

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 19:07:55 -0500, Robert Myers wrote:

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:44:57 GMT, "Felger Carbon" <fmsfnf@jfoops.net>
> wrote:
>
>>"Robert Myers" <rmyers1400@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>>http://news.com.com/Dell+sued+over+bait-and-switch+charges/2100-1047_
>>3-5587443.html?tag=st.pop

>>> Martha Stewart out, Michael Dell in. ;-).
>>
>>There are criminal trials (such as the one Martha lost), and there are
>>civil suits (such as the one against Dell the company, not Mike the
>>chairman). Nobody goes to jail for losing a civil suit. Especially
>>if the losing party is a company. ;-)
>>

> I hope you aren't so precise when someone tells a joke at a party,
> Felger.
>
> In any case, I'm beginning to wonder if you and that outlaw Michael
> Dell don't belong to the same club. ;-).

Nah, Felger isn't Mike's type. Martha on the other hand...

--
Keith

> Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:

> What ever happened to the saying, in like Flint!

Actually, "In Like Flint" was a movie title, and
was a play on words from the real cliche, which was
"In like Flynn", referring to actor Eroll Flynn,
who had a bit of a reputation with the ladies, and
later managed to avoid successful prosecution for
events involving an underaged lass and his yatch.

Apparently the expression meant "sure to get lucky"
prior to the prosecution, and morphed to "and you'll
get away with it, even if illegal" afterwards.
Any number of web sites have more detail.

None of which has anything to do with Dell, which
is not a brand I buy or endorse when asked.

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 05:26:16 -0500, George Macdonald
<fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:42:01 -0500, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>Funky power supplies are pretty much the norm for big OEMs, the trick
>>with Dells is that they were physically identical to standard ATX
>>supplies but where electrically different. Made it just too tempting
>>for people to try swapping out the board or power supply with a
>>standard one that just wouldn't work. With HPaq supplies, for
>>example, they are still non-standard, but at least you KNOW that they
>>are non-standard since they won't fit into an ATX connector without
>>the use of a decently large hammer.
>
>So the HPaq connector has different keying for the connector? Is this
>something that HP learned from Compaq? I remember the old proprietary
>keyboard conectors that Compaq used to have - what a rip-off.

Proprietary keyboard connector?! The only place I've ever seen one of
those was a Packard Hell, where it has a special keyboard + mouse +
speaker/mic connector all in one. All the Compaq and HP machines I've
come across use plain old PS/2 (or sometimes USB) keyboards and mice.
Mind you, I pretty much only deal with their commercial line, so I
don't know what the deal is with the Presario systems.

> All the same
>I'd have thought both Dell and HPaq would have the same wires with the same
>power and ground connections... just in a different order. In that case a
>Molex pin extractor, and a used standard connector for the case of HPaq,
>would be all you'd need to rearrange things to the standard order.

Of the HPaq commercial machines that I see (which is a direct
descendant of the old Compaq Deskpro/Evo line), they use all pretty
standard connectors except for the power connector. These are
definitely non-standard. Actually the new ones use one non-standard
connector for the main power but use the standard 4-pin secondary
ATX12V connector (or at least I think it's standard, though I haven't
checked the pin-out). It's not really such a big deal for these
systems though since they're mostly small form factor systems where
any other power supply just wouldn't physically fit in the case. In
the case of the few minitowers we've got, they normally use the exact
same motherboard as their corresponding SFF system, so they're kind of
stuck with the non-standard power connector.

A slightly more annoying problem with these machines is that a
standard floppy drive usually will not work. Fortunately floppies are
rarely used these days, but when they are needed, it's a bit of a PITA
to have to get a specific HPaq (or Dell) part at the rather exorbitant
prices they charge (~$40 US as I recall?)

-------------
Tony Hill

Hank> "Bob Niland" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Hank> news:eek:psmtgbqy0ft8z8r@news.individual.net...
>>> Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What ever happened to the saying, in like Flint!
>> Actually, "In Like Flint" was a movie title, and was a play on
>> words from the real cliche, which was "In like Flynn", referring
>> to actor Eroll Flynn, who had a bit of a reputation with the
>> ladies, and later managed to avoid successful prosecution for
>> events involving an underaged lass and his yatch.
>>
>> Apparently the expression meant "sure to get lucky" prior to the
>> prosecution, and morphed to "and you'll get away with it, even if
>> illegal" afterwards. Any number of web sites have more detail.
>>
>> None of which has anything to do with Dell, which is not a brand I
>> buy or endorse when asked.

Hank> What brand would you endorse?

Hank> Serious question, about to upgrade and will either build my
Hank> own, or buy a Dell or PowerSpec.

Hank> Have three Dells in the house (plus 4 other systems). Dells
Hank> have been problem-free.

I recently purchased a dell and was very happy. If you know how to
deal with sales people dell will be fine. I actually ordered from the
net and purchased an excellent server that was loaded for 424 bucks
with tax. Unreal deal.

Good luck

"Bob Niland" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:
>
>> What ever happened to the saying, in like Flint!
>
> Actually, "In Like Flint" was a movie title, and
> was a play on words from the real cliche, which was
> "In like Flynn", referring to actor Eroll Flynn,
> who had a bit of a reputation with the ladies, and
> later managed to avoid successful prosecution for
> events involving an underaged lass and his yatch.
>
> Apparently the expression meant "sure to get lucky"
> prior to the prosecution, and morphed to "and you'll
> get away with it, even if illegal" afterwards.
> Any number of web sites have more detail.
>
> None of which has anything to do with Dell, which
> is not a brand I buy or endorse when asked.

What brand would you endorse?

Serious question, about to upgrade and will either
build my own, or buy a Dell or PowerSpec.

Have three Dells in the house (plus 4 other systems).
Dells have been problem-free.

--

... Hank

http://home.earthlink.net/~horedson
http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli

>> None of which has anything to do with Dell, which
>> is not a brand I buy or endorse when asked.

> Hank Oredson <horedson@earthlink.net> wrote:
> What brand would you endorse?

It entirely depends on your intended uses. For
my own work (2D-intensive), I build my own. For
neighbors with generic requirements, the MicroTels
that Wal-Mart sells (web only), are perfectly
adequate inexpensive platforms, and are supportable,
as they have both Windows and Linux drivers.

> Have three Dells in the house (plus 4 other systems).
> Dells have been problem-free.

The question is - when you have a problem, just
how big a problem do you have? One of the things
that has put me off Dell is their periodic forays
into needless proprietary stuff, including motherboard
power connectors.

keith

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 05:37:46 +0000, Hank Oredson wrote:

> "Bob Niland" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Gnu_Raiz <Gnu_Raiz@uptime.notlost.net> wrote:
>>
>>> What ever happened to the saying, in like Flint!
>>
>> Actually, "In Like Flint" was a movie title, and
>> was a play on words from the real cliche, which was
>> "In like Flynn", referring to actor Eroll Flynn,
>> who had a bit of a reputation with the ladies, and
>> later managed to avoid successful prosecution for
>> events involving an underaged lass and his yatch.
>>
>> Apparently the expression meant "sure to get lucky"
>> prior to the prosecution, and morphed to "and you'll
>> get away with it, even if illegal" afterwards.
>> Any number of web sites have more detail.
>>
>> None of which has anything to do with Dell, which
>> is not a brand I buy or endorse when asked.
>

> What brand would you endorse?

KeithKit

> Serious question, about to upgrade and will either
> build my own, or buy a Dell or PowerSpec.

If you're up to it (it's not hard), build your own. No question!

> Have three Dells in the house (plus 4 other systems).
> Dells have been problem-free.

So you've never had to replace parts or get service?

--
Keith

>>> None of which has anything to do with Dell, which is not a brand
>>> I buy or endorse when asked.

>> Hank Oredson <horedson@earthlink.net> wrote: What brand would you
>> endorse?

Bob> It entirely depends on your intended uses. For my own work
Bob> (2D-intensive), I build my own. For neighbors with generic
Bob> requirements, the MicroTels that Wal-Mart sells (web only), are
Bob> perfectly adequate inexpensive platforms, and are supportable,
Bob> as they have both Windows and Linux drivers.

>> Have three Dells in the house (plus 4 other systems). Dells have
>> been problem-free.

Bob> The question is - when you have a problem, just how big a
Bob> problem do you have? One of the things that has put me off Dell
Bob> is their periodic forays into needless proprietary stuff,
Bob> including motherboard power connectors.

I did not mention that in my last post, but you have an excellent
point. When you purchase a Dell, HP, or some other system you better
be ready to throw it away when it breaks. I purchased a dell during an
excellent special, and will use for a special purchase. However, I do
realize if it breaks after warranty I will probably have to throw it
away. The dell I purchased definitely had some no standard parts.

For desktop computer I build my own, which is pretty easy, and get to
select your parts. Probably costs a little more, but if it breaks you
can fix it easily.

Later,

Alan

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:27:28 -0500, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 05:26:16 -0500, George Macdonald
><fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 03:42:01 -0500, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Funky power supplies are pretty much the norm for big OEMs, the trick
>>>with Dells is that they were physically identical to standard ATX
>>>supplies but where electrically different. Made it just too tempting
>>>for people to try swapping out the board or power supply with a
>>>standard one that just wouldn't work. With HPaq supplies, for
>>>example, they are still non-standard, but at least you KNOW that they
>>>are non-standard since they won't fit into an ATX connector without
>>>the use of a decently large hammer.
>>
>>So the HPaq connector has different keying for the connector? Is this
>>something that HP learned from Compaq? I remember the old proprietary
>>keyboard conectors that Compaq used to have - what a rip-off.
>
>Proprietary keyboard connector?! The only place I've ever seen one of
>those was a Packard Hell, where it has a special keyboard + mouse +
>speaker/mic connector all in one. All the Compaq and HP machines I've
>come across use plain old PS/2 (or sometimes USB) keyboards and mice.
>Mind you, I pretty much only deal with their commercial line, so I
>don't know what the deal is with the Presario systems.

Oops I just dated myself.... AGAIN! Way back, Compaq had a proprietary
keyboard connector - nothing else fit and there was no adapter - maybe
thats why people bought more than one??:) I recall a Wyse 386 system we
got had a RJ-11 for the keyboard connector, just like their TTYs, but at
least they supplied an adapter with the system.

>> All the same
>>I'd have thought both Dell and HPaq would have the same wires with the same
>>power and ground connections... just in a different order. In that case a
>>Molex pin extractor, and a used standard connector for the case of HPaq,
>>would be all you'd need to rearrange things to the standard order.
>
>Of the HPaq commercial machines that I see (which is a direct
>descendant of the old Compaq Deskpro/Evo line), they use all pretty
>standard connectors except for the power connector. These are
>definitely non-standard. Actually the new ones use one non-standard
>connector for the main power but use the standard 4-pin secondary
>ATX12V connector (or at least I think it's standard, though I haven't
>checked the pin-out). It's not really such a big deal for these
>systems though since they're mostly small form factor systems where
>any other power supply just wouldn't physically fit in the case. In
>the case of the few minitowers we've got, they normally use the exact
>same motherboard as their corresponding SFF system, so they're kind of
>stuck with the non-standard power connector.
>
>A slightly more annoying problem with these machines is that a
>standard floppy drive usually will not work. Fortunately floppies are
>rarely used these days, but when they are needed, it's a bit of a PITA
>to have to get a specific HPaq (or Dell) part at the rather exorbitant
>prices they charge (~$40 US as I recall?)

So much for "industry standards" - makes DIY even more attractive.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:47:12 -0500, George Macdonald
<fammacd=!SPAM^nothanks@tellurian.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 16:27:28 -0500, Tony Hill <hilla_nospam_20@yahoo.ca>
>wrote:
>
>>Proprietary keyboard connector?! The only place I've ever seen one of
>>those was a Packard Hell, where it has a special keyboard + mouse +
>>speaker/mic connector all in one. All the Compaq and HP machines I've
>>come across use plain old PS/2 (or sometimes USB) keyboards and mice.
>>Mind you, I pretty much only deal with their commercial line, so I
>>don't know what the deal is with the Presario systems.
>
>Oops I just dated myself.... AGAIN! Way back, Compaq had a proprietary
>keyboard connector - nothing else fit and there was no adapter - maybe
>thats why people bought more than one??:) I recall a Wyse 386 system we
>got had a RJ-11 for the keyboard connector, just like their TTYs, but at
>least they supplied an adapter with the system.

In mentioning a Wyse computer I think you are REALLY dating yourself
there George! :>

Now that you mention it though, I do remember seeing some odd-ball
connectors for keyboards on a variety of computers way back in the day
(286 and 386 era mainly). Never much dealt with any of those though,
mainly since I was still in grade school at the time!

>>A slightly more annoying problem with these machines is that a
>>standard floppy drive usually will not work. Fortunately floppies are
>>rarely used these days, but when they are needed, it's a bit of a PITA
>>to have to get a specific HPaq (or Dell) part at the rather exorbitant
>>prices they charge (~$40 US as I recall?)
>
>So much for "industry standards" - makes DIY even more attractive.

Yup, I wouldn't think of getting an HPaq or a Dell for home use.
However for business systems where you need to support anything more
than about 10 machines they start to become REAL attractive. Having a
single source for all your driver downloads, being able to use the
same basic procedure for setting up and supporting your systems can
really help. Not to mention the fact that you can get all your
replacement parts sent overnight when one goes bad.

-------------
Tony Hill

"keith" <krw@att.bizzzz> wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 05:37:46 +0000, Hank Oredson wrote:
>
>> "Bob Niland" <email4rjn@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Actually, "In Like Flint" was a movie title, and
>>> was a play on words from the real cliche, which was
>>> "In like Flynn", referring to actor Eroll Flynn,
>>> who had a bit of a reputation with the ladies, and
>>> later managed to avoid successful prosecution for
>>> events involving an underaged lass and his yatch.
>>>
>>> Apparently the expression meant "sure to get lucky"
>>> prior to the prosecution, and morphed to "and you'll
>>> get away with it, even if illegal" afterwards.
>>> Any number of web sites have more detail.
>>>
>>> None of which has anything to do with Dell, which
>>> is not a brand I buy or endorse when asked.
>>

>> What brand would you endorse?
>
> KeithKit

There are 4 or 5 HankKits made from recycled free
machines sitting in the next room :)

>> Serious question, about to upgrade and will either
>> build my own, or buy a Dell or PowerSpec.
>
> If you're up to it (it's not hard), build your own. No question!

Have built dozens.

Usually spend too much time and money doing so, compared
to a high end Dell or PowerSpec. Might do it again, since right
now Dell doesn't have what I want. The high end PowerSpec
is close, and priced just a tad under what I could do by building
one myself. Their service is good, couple of my relatives (including
my 90 year old mother) have them and are very pleased.

>> Have three Dells in the house (plus 4 other systems).
>> Dells have been problem-free.
>
> So you've never had to replace parts or get service?

Don't recall every needing to call their support staff, the machines
"just work". All are XPS systems, newest is an 8200. It's my old
T550 that needs replacement (grin).

Have replaced lots of parts in the Dells, always by choice.
Better vid, bigger disk, more ram, etc. Did lose one hard
drive and had to replace it, no big deal.

So I was just curious which brand of already built plug it
in it works machine you might endorse.

--

... Hank

http://home.earthlink.net/~horedson
http://home.earthlink.net/~w0rli

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 03:59:49 GMT, "Hank Oredson"
<horedson@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Don't recall every needing to call their support staff, the machines
>"just work". All are XPS systems, newest is an 8200. It's my old
>T550 that needs replacement (grin).
>
>Have replaced lots of parts in the Dells, always by choice.
>Better vid, bigger disk, more ram, etc. Did lose one hard
>drive and had to replace it, no big deal.
>
>So I was just curious which brand of already built plug it
>in it works machine you might endorse.

If I had to chose one of the big OEMs for a home system, it would
probably be a Dell... or an Apple, but I guess they don't really
count.

Dell is at least as good as anyone else in the tier-one OEM market,
though when "anyone else" is HPaq, that isn't exactly a glowing
endorsement. You can usually find Dell systems for fairly decent
prices.

If you're willing to pay extra than you can find some good quality
systems from some more niche-market builders. Alienware is one that I
know of who at least use high quality components (I don't have any
personal experience with them, so I can't say much else about them).
Might be worth checking out their site.

-------------
Tony Hill

>>> None of which has anything to do with Dell, which
>>> is not a brand I buy or endorse when asked.
>
>> Hank Oredson <horedson@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> What brand would you endorse?
>
> It entirely depends on your intended uses. For
> my own work (2D-intensive), I build my own. For
> neighbors with generic requirements, the MicroTels
> that Wal-Mart sells (web only), are perfectly
> adequate inexpensive platforms, and are supportable,
> as they have both Windows and Linux drivers.
>
>> Have three Dells in the house (plus 4 other systems).
>> Dells have been problem-free.
>
> The question is - when you have a problem, just
> how big a problem do you have? One of the things
> that has put me off Dell is their periodic forays
> into needless proprietary stuff, including motherboard
> power connectors.

Have not lost MB or PS on a Dell yet, and I'm pretty
sure they stopped that non-standard PS nonesense

I'm looking for something more high end, won't find one
at Wal-Mart. No problem building my own, have built
dozens over the years, was just curious if there were
some particular brands folks liked.