Add a Toolbar to the taskbar using a script

Hi!

I want to add a copy of one of my Start menu folders to the task bare, so
that when i click on it, it expands a menu with the same shortcuts as I see
when clicking on the start menu subfolder.

I know how to do this manually, but I want to do it for several users (500
+), so I need to create a script that can do this for me.

Anyone?

It could probably be done but it wouldn't be trivial. Toolbar configuration is stored in binary form in the values here:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop

Which are read at login, modified in memory during a user session if toolbars are added or deleted, and not written until logoff. So you would have to import the user's hive from another account to effect any change.

However, I was just able to copy my normal user toolbar configuration to the admin login on my machine. I used "load hive" to load ntuser.dat from the admin profile and made it HKU\Admin. I then exported the above key from my registry, opened the .reg file & changed HKEY_CURRENT_USER to HKU\Admin. Then merged the file -- then unloaded the hive. When I logged on as Admin, I had the toolbars from my user profile.

You would want to make sure that any toolbars you created refer to common locations. What had been a "My Documents" toolbar changed to "Keith A. Miller's Documents" and still pointed to my user files. The same with my history toolbar.

So your main problem is grabbing the ntuser.dat files from the computers when the users aren't logged in. But once you figure that out, use reg.exe and you've got a pretty simple loop :)

For each ntuser.dat
reg load HKU\Temp ntuser.dat
reg import MyChanges.reg
reg unload HKU\Temp
Next

Keith

"Oslo_Norway" <Oslo_Norway@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3B8F2329-228C-4182-8AFB-4CEF8A41CE49@microsoft.com...
> Hi!
>
> I want to add a copy of one of my Start menu folders to the task bare, so
> that when i click on it, it expands a menu with the same shortcuts as I see
> when clicking on the start menu subfolder.
>
> I know how to do this manually, but I want to do it for several users (500
> +), so I need to create a script that can do this for me.
>
> Anyone?

TRENDING THREADS