Windows software for SD cards?

Last response: in Digital Camera
August 11, 2005 4:30:55 PM

I've been shown and told that computer software for formatting
memory cards are much better than the formatting option in the
camera itself, and the person who had this on his computer told
me it was free and could easily be downloaded.
I've searched and searched, but found nothing of the sort.

Is there any free SD (secure digital) memory card related
software available for Windows ME that will allow me to
format/test etc. ? If so, where can it/they be found?

--
Hallvard

More about : windows software cards

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:30:56 PM

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
> I've been shown and told that computer software for formatting
> memory cards are much better than the formatting option in the
> camera itself, and the person who had this on his computer told
> me it was free and could easily be downloaded.
> I've searched and searched, but found nothing of the sort.
>
> Is there any free SD (secure digital) memory card related
> software available for Windows ME that will allow me to
> format/test etc. ? If so, where can it/they be found?

I would advise that formatting the SD card in the camera is the better
approach, as a computer can format the card in such a way as to render it
unusable in the camera.

David
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:30:56 PM

Hallvard Tangeraas <inv@lid.email> wrote:
|| I've been shown and told that computer software for
formatting
|| memory cards are much better than the formatting option in
the
|| camera itself, and the person who had this on his computer
|| told me it was free and could easily be downloaded.
|| I've searched and searched, but found nothing of the sort.
|| Is there any free SD (secure digital) memory card related
|| software available for Windows ME that will allow me to
|| format/test etc. ? If so, where can it/they be found?
|| --
|| Hallvard

Not true. It is best to format the card in the device that will
be
using the card. Seen cards made unuseable when formated on
a computer versus the camera.

BJ
--
"I cannot imagine what it's like to know nearly everything about
systems and have to deal, daily, with people who know nearly

In article <42fb28e2$1@news.broadpark.no>,
Hallvard Tangeraas <inv@lid.email> wrote:

> I've been shown and told that computer software for formatting
> memory cards are much better than the formatting option in the
> camera itself, and the person who had this on his computer told
> me it was free and could easily be downloaded.
> I've searched and searched, but found nothing of the sort.
>
> Is there any free SD (secure digital) memory card related
> software available for Windows ME that will allow me to
> format/test etc. ? If so, where can it/they be found?

The exact opposite is true for memory cards that are going to be used in
a digital camera. It is always best to format the cards in the device
you plan to use them in. Whomever gave you that advise is best ignored.
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:49:25 PM

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:

> I've been shown and told that computer software for formatting memory
> cards are much better than the formatting option in the camera itself,
> and the person who had this on his computer told me it was free and
> could easily be downloaded.
> I've searched and searched, but found nothing of the sort.
>
> Is there any free SD (secure digital) memory card related software
> available for Windows ME that will allow me to format/test etc. ? If
> so, where can it/they be found?

In what way could this ever be better ??
Forget this nonsense.
Always format in the camera. Then the correct filesystem will always be
created.
August 12, 2005 8:00:09 AM

Hallvard Tangeraas <inv@lid.email> wrote:
: I've been shown and told that computer software for formatting
: memory cards are much better than the formatting option in the
: camera itself, and the person who had this on his computer told
: me it was free and could easily be downloaded.
: I've searched and searched, but found nothing of the sort.

: Is there any free SD (secure digital) memory card related
: software available for Windows ME that will allow me to
: format/test etc. ? If so, where can it/they be found?

As others have said, it is best to format the card in the camera. But I
have found that for my camera/computer combination simply erasing photos
from the card (after downloading and archiving) works equally well in the
computer. And in this case, doing it on the computer saves battery time on
the camera, and tends to be completed much faster on the computer.

So, a complete format should be done in the camera. But erasing images can
be done in either device (in my experience). Of course for each
combination of camera brand and computer/OS, the results may differ.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL
Anonymous
August 18, 2005 9:20:03 PM

Shawn Hirn wrote:

> In article <42fb28e2$1@news.broadpark.no>,
> Hallvard Tangeraas <inv@lid.email> wrote:
>
>> I've been shown and told that computer software for formatting
>> memory cards are much better than the formatting option in the
>> camera itself, and the person who had this on his computer told
>> me it was free and could easily be downloaded.

> The exact opposite is true for memory cards that are going to be used in
> a digital camera. It is always best to format the cards in the device
> you plan to use them in. Whomever gave you that advise is best ignored.

Thinking about it, I may have misunderstood what he said.
I had a problem with a memory card, and he ran it through a
program which checked it and also allowed to un-erase erased
images because they're apparently not *erased* when the card is
formatted in the camera, but rather marked as "this image can be
overwritten by a new one", just as with a computer's hard drive.

The computer software, he said, would completely *erase* all
images on the card, fully erasing any mess (which seemed to be
the cause of the memory card problem), so this was why I assumed
this would be a "better" way to format a card.
But I understand that the camera has its own filing-system, so
after he formatted the memory card on the computer I formatted it
again with the camera itself.

Anyway, where can I find (free?) utility software for SD memory
cards?
If I recall correctly, the software had some memory card
brand-name on it. Perhaps Lexar, but I haven't found any free
Windows software at their site...

PS: what's the difference between "Format" and "Quick format" in
the camera (Nikon Coolpix 5900)?
The manual says "Quick format" is for memory cards that have been
used with the same camera while "Format" takes longer and is for
memory cards that have been used by other cameras/devices.
Is there any advantage in using "Format" when using the memory
card with the same camera all the time?

--
Hallvard
August 19, 2005 12:16:54 AM

Hallvard Tangeraas wrote:
> Anyway, where can I find (free?) utility software for SD memory
> cards? If I recall correctly, the software had some memory card
> brand-name on it. Perhaps Lexar, but I haven't found any free Windows
> software at their site...

Perhaps you mean SanDisk RescuePRO.

http://lc-tech.com/software/rprowindetail.html

It's $40, but there's a free demo.
August 19, 2005 1:08:37 AM

"Hallvard Tangeraas" <inv@lid.email> wrote in message
> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
> > In article <42fb28e2$1@news.broadpark.no>,
> > Hallvard Tangeraas <inv@lid.email> wrote:
> >
> >> I've been shown and told that computer software for formatting
> >> memory cards are much better than the formatting option in the
> >> camera itself, and the person who had this on his computer told
> >> me it was free and could easily be downloaded.
>
> > The exact opposite is true for memory cards that are going to be used in
> > a digital camera. It is always best to format the cards in the device
> > you plan to use them in. Whomever gave you that advise is best ignored.
>
> Thinking about it, I may have misunderstood what he said.
> I had a problem with a memory card, and he ran it through a
> program which checked it and also allowed to un-erase erased
> images because they're apparently not *erased* when the card is
> formatted in the camera, but rather marked as "this image can be
> overwritten by a new one", just as with a computer's hard drive.
>
> The computer software, he said, would completely *erase* all
> images on the card, fully erasing any mess (which seemed to be
> the cause of the memory card problem), so this was why I assumed
> this would be a "better" way to format a card.
> But I understand that the camera has its own filing-system, so
> after he formatted the memory card on the computer I formatted it
> again with the camera itself.
>
> Anyway, where can I find (free?) utility software for SD memory
> cards?
> If I recall correctly, the software had some memory card
> brand-name on it. Perhaps Lexar, but I haven't found any free
> Windows software at their site...
>
> PS: what's the difference between "Format" and "Quick format" in
> the camera (Nikon Coolpix 5900)?
> The manual says "Quick format" is for memory cards that have been
> used with the same camera while "Format" takes longer and is for
> memory cards that have been used by other cameras/devices.
> Is there any advantage in using "Format" when using the memory
> card with the same camera all the time?

This may be a start-point for picture recovery
http://www.ultimateslr.com/memory-card-recovery.php I'd guess the quick
format, (full) format will be similar to PC disk format options - quick
format just wipes the directory, full format wipes the directory and data
areas (and probably does an integrity check as well). Use quick format if
the previous format was in the camera, worth using full format occasionally
(annually) to give the cards a bit of a check.
!