I Replaced My Power Supply and Now My DVD Drive Isn't Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamesAtMidnight

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I bought a new power supply and graphics card based on Wolfshadw's suggestion. It works very well, except for one thing. After I upgraded the power supply and graphics card, my DVD drive won't read discs. I've tried three different discs and none of them work.

Since this was my first time installing a power supply and graphics card, I'm assuming I did something wrong. Everything else seems to be working fine. When I press the eject button, the disc tray comes out and I put a disc in. But it doesn't read on my computer, as if I hadn't put a disc in.

Could there be a problem with the connectors? They're all securely connected. My old power supply only had four things connected and my new one has six different connector types. I connected the four new connectors where the old ones used to go and I left the others alone. Those four connectors are 24-pin and a 4-pin connected to the motherboard, one SATA cable connected to the hard drive and one to the DVD drive.

The remaining, unused cables are a 6-pin PCI-E Cable, a 4-pin Peripheral Cable and a 4-pin floppy cable. Did I make a mistake somewhere?

JamesAtMidnight

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
I switched the SATA cables to see if maybe there was something wrong with the one connected to my optical drive. Nope, my computer turned on okay but I still have the same problem with the DVD drive.

I used your suggestions, Friedman. The SATA cable connections are secure on both ends. When I looked in device manager, I found it only recognizes the Hitachi SATA Disk Device, which I think is my hard drive. It's not recognizing my optical drive like it's supposed to, is it? What should I do?

In device manager it should be listed under DVD/CD-ROM Devices, a different area than your hard drive so that should be your optical drive. Is there a model number after Hitachi? You should be able to pull up it's properties by right clicking on it - see what it says

JamesAtMidnight

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
DVD/CD-ROM Devices isn't showing in Device Manager. When I go to My Computer, my DVD drive doesn't appear there, either.

The Hitachi device says, "This device is working properly." Its model number is HDS721010CLA630.

JamesAtMidnight

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Found the problem. When I removed my old power supply, I removed the cable that connects the DVD drive to the motherboard. When I replaced the power supply, I never plugged it back in. I did just now and now it's working perfectly. Thanks for working with me on this, Friedman.

Status
Not open for further replies.