Video card too close to sound card=+TEN degrees!

I have a geforce 8600gt that is just millimeters away from a sound blaster x-fi. There are no other pci express slots to move them too. I was only a bit concerned about this a few months back when i first installed the sound card, but after a recent reformat, i noticed screen tearing on videos and thought my video card may be hot. So i did the test; using cpuid, the geforce idles around 65 degrees celcius WITHOUT the sound card. WITH the sound card, it idles around 75 DEGREES Celsius, a whopping TEN degree difference. imagine what happens when i play games. So my question is, how much of a difference will my audio quality be if i downgrade to an asus xonar DG, or what other options do i have i guess lol.

Intel D101GGC Pentium 4 524 3.06 ghz 1gb ram
geforce 8600gt
sound blaster x-fi titanium fatality pro
4 answers Last reply
More about video card close sound card degrees
  1. 65C idle is way too hot... something is wrong either with the card, your fan profiles, or your case airflow

What are your load temps?
  2. Right now I have both cards in. watching 1080p videos seems to bring the card to a max of 80C max. I noticed that as it reached this temp, the gpu fan moves up to 50% speed, and that seems to hold the temp at 80. most other times the fan is at 30 or 40 percent, perhaps this is a problem. But if its automatic, I dont see how it could be..
  3. It definitely isn't normal for watching movie to be at 80C. When was the last time you cleaned its heatsink?
  4. Take a can of compressed air and really clean up your video card, I feel like there's dust bunnies clogging it up
  5. if you want to try something NOW go get EVGA Precision X and set JUST the fan to 100% and see if it blows anything out or atleast cools down your gpu.
    but please get a can of air and clean that out.

sorry i just noticed you have a little 8600, that doesn't even have a shroud . .couldn't get that clogged up(?)
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Sound Blaster Geforce Sound Cards Graphics