Advice on new build! ~1100 Gaming/Media HTPC/Server

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Hello folks. Building a new PC obviously :p

Here is a link to the parts I already have picked out. I am providing this link so the post is nicer, and so I can easier update my build with your suggestions without editing my op too much. I find it easier and more efficient to do than listing everything on here

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?Source=MSWD&WishListNumber=19677525

I will be using this as a website/ftp server, video gaming machine, video/mp3 encoder, HTPC, and basically everything.

This will strictly be a build for the next 5-6 months as I am shipping out for the military in January, so upgrade ability is not a concern at all. I am strictly looking for the best build for the money.

I will be ordering it this upcoming week. I am an experienced computer builder (my last build was a core i7 with 5870 :D its gone now tho)

I am trying my hardest not to go over 1200 dollars tho as my budget is strict until my next paychecks (next week!) so I am holding off on buying my aftermarket cpu cooler. So instead of buying everything now I'm buying essential stuff this week and stuff like cpu cooler headset, and pci wireless card, for next week.

I have a monitor and mouse and do not need OS. HOWEVER I need suggestions for a good gaming keyboard! My last one was a logitech g110

Even though I have experience, I am not a fool and I know I may have overlooked things, and to be honest I haven't kept up with tech the last year or so so PLEASE correct me if I have made a mistake or you think I can do something cheaper!

If you need anything else just ask :)

Thanks in advance!

Edit: If I need to I CAN go up to 1300 (not including keyboard I have ~100 dollars set aside specifically for that) I just prefer to leave myself some spare cash for emergencies.

Edit 2: I will be gaming at 1080p. But I will have a multi monitor setup. I will be gaming on pretty much all mainstream titles such as but not limited to - WoW CoD BF3 Diablo 3 SC2 TF2 Batman and others.

Edit 3: I have a 1tb mechanical drive at home I will be using

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

Well, just off the top of my head, I saw a 7950 twin frozr (the exact brand but a step higher) for the same 339.99. So I would suggest getting that cause, well why not?

And also as for a keyboard, I would suggest the Razer Black Widow. It's a mechanical keyboard that has 9 keys for macros, and Razer makes great peripherals. I'm on my Ipad right now, so i'll keep this short, but let me know if you have any more questions about stuff.

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks for the replies! I just checked on the 7950, didn't realize they were that cheap! And thanks for the recomendation for razer, it looks pretty cool.

Also is the drop from extreme6 to extreme 4 noticeable feature and otherwise? Or is it just a market scheme to get a little more money? (I'm way too lazy and not smart enough to research every mobo and then compare specs :(

Well thats what I was wondering, what features does the Extreme6 have that the Extreme4 doesn't? They're both great boards but the Extreme4 is more than enough for the majority of users.

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Its also micro ATX so I guess other than being smaller... Which I could see as being inconvenient since things would be jammed into a smaller space? Also would mean more concentrated heat... hmmmm....

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009
Thanks abunch mate! I swear I typed in asrock z77 extreme 4 and that didn't show up... Updated with extreme4 and 7950 over extreme6 and 7870.

I was also curious about the memory. I checked asrocks website for memory compatibility list and it said it supported a few versions of corsair vengeance memory but my specific model number was NOT listed... So I am a bit worried?

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012
Yea I have an Extreme4 and it's fantastic. Not many people are ASRock fanboys, but I would probably say I am one. It's just a great board and the Extreme6 is unnecessary for the price.

And if you do have any extra money at all, I would highly suggest investing in a aftermarket heatsink. Whether it be an air cooling fan of a water cooling kit, they are really useful when you want to overclock, which is something that most people do with a CPU with an unlocked multiplier and potential performance that can be achievede by overclocking.

As for suggestions, I would either suggest the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO (Aircooling) or the Corsair H-100 (Watercooling). They are both very cable and powerful coolers.

Nope! Your memory is going to be fine. They only test a limited selection, usually stuff they keep on hand. You should be fine, thats quality RAM. I ran an 8GB kit myself for a while. Ran on an ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 no problems.

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Yeah I already have the 212 in my sights, I'm definitely going to get it, I just don't plan on overclocking for the first week. Hopefully it overclocks like my 920 did, 2.6 to 4+ on air. Don't let me down sandy!

Dupontrocks11

Honorable
May 7, 2012

I'm not much of a RAM expert but If the Corsair doesnt work out, I would also look into some G.Skill Ripjaws X 16GB. Very good RAM for the price and is basically the same price.

I wouldn't buy ASRock Z77 Extreme4 it's a flawed mobo read the last page of this review http://www.vortez.net/articles_pages/asrock_z77_extreme4_review,1.html The only negative I have for this motherboard is that it slips outside of typical ATX specifications. It’s 3cm thinner than a standard ATX motherboard and as a result may lack secure mounting on the far side since this isn’t a common size, which also means you should be very careful when plugging in the 24-pin ATX motherboard power – as the motherboard may flex. P.S.Not sure why Asrock still selling boards like this but for me that would make it a no go as long as your cool with it then go for it they usually make solid motherboards.

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

thanks for the suggestion, but I think I'm stuck on the 2600k for the hyper threading, 2mb cache and all because I do lots of media encoding, website hosting, programming and yeah I multitask a lot with multiple monitors so I believe its worth it. But if there is a similar motherboard with same features and same price and reliability as my current, I'd love to know. I also checked out the gigabyte ud series. But otherwise I'm just gonna stick with this asrock

N0BOX

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012
I just spent the last three days trying to find the absolute perfect keyboard for me. I have always been picky about my keyboards. :)

I have always wanted to find a keyboard that types with the same feel as the original Sun Type 5 keyboard, but no one makes one that is even close. So, instead I zoned in on the things most important to me: mechanical key switches (I specifically settled on the Cherry MX Brown switches), media keys, and key backlights (I wanted a backlit LED that could change in color, but was not able to find a color-changing backlight on a mechanical keyboard, so I settled on the color that most other lights associated with my computer are: red).

I ended up choosing the Cooler Master Storm Trigger. It has backlit keys, which are red. It does have media keys for forward, back, stop, play/pause, mute, and volume up and down. The model available on Newegg has Cherry MX Brown mechanical key switches, which are the best compromise between the Black or Red keys that are best for gaming and the Blue that are best for typing (they also don't click as loud as the Blue switches do). There are models available with Blue, Brown, Black, or Red switches, depending on region and retailer. It has five macro keys and the ability to assign multiple profiles.

The Razer Black Widow Ultimate was on my shortlist, but it doesn't use the Cherry brand switches. I decided that the actual Cherry switches had been in the hands of typists for longer, and had thus been tested more thoroughly than Razer's own switches. Also on my shortlist was the Corsair K90 gaming keyboard. It uses the very rare and highly prized Cherry MX Red switches, but not all of the keys use the mechanical switches. All of the macro keys and the keys that make up the blocks that includes the Home, Delete, PgUp/PgDn, Print Screen, and Scroll Lock keys are normal plastic dome membrane switches. I really wanted the K90, but I just couldn't get over that not all of the keys were mechanical (I would have even put up with the switches being Red rather than the Brown ones I would prefer). One keyboard that didnt make my shortlist because it doesn't have media keys or backlights, but deserves a mention is the Das Keyboard Model S Professional. It comes in both Cherry MX Blue and Brown switch models (they add 'Silent' to the model name for the Brown switches) and is very well-made.

I obviously suggest you get a mechanical keyboard. If you don't know the differences between the switch types, then you should Google for a mechanical keyboard guide. It is best to start by looking for a keyboard that has the type of switches you want, because it is rare for a keyboard to be available with multiple switch types (the CM Storm Trigger and the Das Keyboard Pro and Ultimate keyboards are the only ones I found that do).

Hope you find a keyboard you like, and hope your build goes smoothly!

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Ended up going with this since it has blue LED fans so... yeahhhhh

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129182

cbsevenfifty

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012

That ASUS board is also not the typical size board. You'll have the same problems with it as you do with the extreme4.

Even with the rebate on the ASUS the Asrock is cheaper because you are getting free shipping with the Asrock. You also get 2 more sata 6 with the Asrock and better power for better/more stable OCing. There's really no reason the get that ASUS board over the extreme4. You are dealing with the same undersized board and getting less features. You are just paying more for the name.

stopthe_bomb

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2009

Thanks for the long explanation, I would go for that keyboard too, but I just cant justify paying 120 for a keyboard atm, so I'm seriously considering the razer black widow ultimate which is on sale for 90, and it has some pretty cool features. I still don't know though, 90 is a lot too.

N0BOX

Honorable
Jun 3, 2012

There is a version of the Black Widow Ultimate that doesn't have backlit keys for something like $60-$70. I saw it on Newegg and immediately ignored it because I was looking for backlit keys specifically. If price is more important, then it might be perfect for you.

where did you read that the ASUS is also not the typical size board ? I have not seen any reviews saying that could you link it ?