Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

New Build

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 9, 2012 4:38:07 AM

Hey guys, I am not exactly new to building rigs but I am new to forums in general and new to the latest tech. My current build that I have is a Pentium with an Nvidia 8800GTX and 2 Gbs of RAM. This was sufficient enough for me at the time however I am looking to play the latest games now (Bf3, Skyrim, etc.) and need some answers for the build list I have compiled.

CPU: Intel i5-3570K (hopefully to 4.4-4.5Ghz) $245
MOTHERBOARD: Asrock Z77-EXTREME6 $189
RAM: G Skill 8G(2x4G) DDR3 1600Mhz PC12800 RL 9-9-9-24(CL9D-8GBRL) $59
SSD: Crucial M4 128Gb $154
HDD: Seagate 2TB Barracuda $119
DVDRW: Samsung 22X $19
PSU: Corsair AX-750 $213.5
GPU1: EVGA GTX670 FTW $529
GPU2: EVGA GTX670 FTW $529
NETWORK CARD: D-Link DWA-547 RAngeBooster N650 Wireless LAN PCI Adapter $51

All the parts here are from Umart.com.au with the exception of the Video Cards being from PcCaseGear.com.

The questions I have are:
1) I have read that Ivy Bridge runs hot but I'm not sure what is good cooling these days. I know that Watercooling provides the best cooling solution but I don't want to be doing maintenance frequently on it. Is the maintenance on Watercooling all that bad or would an Air-cooler provide me with the best cooling solution my rig. Note: I only intend to cool the CPU at this stage.
2) I don't know what cases are out on the market and what one to choose. I'm looking for a full tower with lots of room and great cooling capabilities.
3) The reason I chose a Network card is that I am moving into a unit and I want to be able to connect to the internet wireless. With the Motherboard I have, will the Network Card fit into the Mini PCI Slot or will I need to find a new Motherboard. If so, can you recommend me a Motherboard that can accomodate a Network Card and also 2 Video Cards at a reasonable price.
4) I also need a new monitor. I only want one monitor and I will mostly be gaming and internet browsing.
5) Is my overall rig good. I am looking at a budget no more than $3,000 but I want to try and keep it as cheap as possible whilst having good quality parts.

More about : build

Best solution

July 9, 2012 11:59:33 PM
Share

This rig is...*sniff*...BEAUTIFUL, lol.

Here, I threw your build into pcpartpicker and made a few changes that I thought would be helpful and better.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bIKP

For cooling, you'll want a mid tower case, unless you plan on doing an extreme custom watercooling loop. You can also go with the Corsair 800D. I find both cases beautiful. Just to give ya some options I'll throw in some links to some cases...not everyone's tastes are the same, lol.

Switch 810...available in various colors...
http://www.amazon.com/SWITCH-810-White-Tower-Chassis/dp...

CM HAF 922...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CM HAF 932 (full tower)...
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Advanced-SuperSpeed...

Corsair 650d...
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Obsidian-Aluminum-Enthusi...

800d...
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC800DW-Obsidian-Aluminum...

Ok, well there's a few cases...now on to cooling. I put an H100 in the pcpartpicker link; it's a self contained water cooling system. No maintenance required. But I'll give ya a few other air cooling options too. The Ivy Bridge CPU does heat up, but it isn't as bad as people like to claim. you'll be fine with any of the following coolers...

H100...
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Extreme-Performance-Liqui...

Noctua NH-D14
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH...

Hyper 212 evo...
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-212-RR-212E-2...

XSPC Rasa 750 RS240...(if you want a custom WC loop)...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11743/ex-wat-159/XSPC...

Either the mobo I selected or the one you selected will work fine with the 2 GPUs and your network card.

Monitor...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-ve248h
May want to shop around. This is decent, but I'm not sure what screen size you're looking for. I don't know the refresh rate nor do I know the resolution you're seeking. If you were to give me some more info, I may be able to help you a bit more in this area.

I gotta admit...this is one amazing build. This is the kinda build I'm shooting for whenever I get the cash. Hope this helps. :D 
July 10, 2012 12:10:14 AM

Quote:

1) I have read that Ivy Bridge runs hot but I'm not sure what is good cooling these days. I know that Watercooling provides the best cooling solution but I don't want to be doing maintenance frequently on it. Is the maintenance on Watercooling all that bad or would an Air-cooler provide me with the best cooling solution my rig. Note: I only intend to cool the CPU at this stage.


I personally wouldn't bother with water cooling if it's your first time building. I'm an experienced builder and I don't touch it. It's too much risk for not a lot of payoff. I'm aware of the heat issues of the 3570K but with your air flow properly setup you won't need to worry. I wouldn't even touch a closed liquid loop like an H100 when a strong air fan will give you the same or better results.

Quote:
2) I don't know what cases are out on the market and what one to choose. I'm looking for a full tower with lots of room and great cooling capabilities.


I'll second the aforementioned Switch 810 and offer a couple of others:

- Antec 1100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Azza Hurrican 2000: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- NZXT Phantom: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Corsair Carbide 500R: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
- Fractal Design Define R3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Quote:
3) The reason I chose a Network card is that I am moving into a unit and I want to be able to connect to the internet wireless. With the Motherboard I have, will the Network Card fit into the Mini PCI Slot or will I need to find a new Motherboard. If so, can you recommend me a Motherboard that can accomodate a Network Card and also 2 Video Cards at a reasonable price.


That motherboard will have a built in LAN controller - no need for a separate card. Use a USB one if you're worried about all your slots being occupied.

Quote:
4) I also need a new monitor. I only want one monitor and I will mostly be gaming and internet browsing.


Try something like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAKASI-CATLEAP-Q270-SE-27-LED...

Quote:
5) Is my overall rig good. I am looking at a budget no more than $3,000 but I want to try and keep it as cheap as possible whilst having good quality parts.


Looks good to me.
Related resources
July 10, 2012 12:30:56 AM

Thanks for the replies guys.
Quote:
This rig is...*sniff*...BEAUTIFUL, lol.
Indeed it is, I try to be extravagant wherever possible. ;) 

Quote:
Switch 810...available in various colors...
http://www.amazon.com/SWITCH-810-W [...] switch+810


CM HAF 922...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811119197


CM HAF 932 (full tower)...
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste [...] ds=haf+932


Corsair 650d...
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Obsi [...] words=650d


800d...
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CC80 [...] words=800d

Quote:
- Antec 1100: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811129178
- Azza Hurrican 2000: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811517011
- NZXT Phantom: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811146067
- Corsair Carbide 500R: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811139010
- Fractal Design Define R3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811352013

Out of all those cases, I am leaning towards either Corsair or CoolerMaster as they are more sleek IMO.
Quote:
Ok, well there's a few cases...now on to cooling. I put an H100 in the pcpartpicker link; it's a self contained water cooling system. No maintenance required. But I'll give ya a few other air cooling options too. The Ivy Bridge CPU does heat up, but it isn't as bad as people like to claim. you'll be fine with any of the following coolers...


H100...
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Extr [...] words=h100


Noctua NH-D14
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatp [...] tua+nh-d14


Hyper 212 evo...
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste [...] er+212+evo


XSPC Rasa 750 RS240...(if you want a custom WC loop)...
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/ [...] _-HOT.html

If I was to go Custom, I wouldn't be interested in doing GPUs period. There are some really good cooling solutions there and I'll need to read up on them.
Quote:
That motherboard will have a built in LAN controller - no need for a separate card. Use a USB one if you're worried about all your slots being occupied.

Thanks for letting me know.
Quote:
Monitor...
http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-ve248h
May want to shop around. This is decent, but I'm not sure what screen size you're looking for. I don't know the refresh rate nor do I know the resolution you're seeking. If you were to give me some more info, I may be able to help you a bit more in this area.
That monitor is perfect. :D 

Alright I'll go back to the drawing board and choose the other components.

July 12, 2012 4:00:02 AM

So I reviewed everything and I believe that I came up with a pretty good list.

Corsair Obsidian 800D Black Full Tower Case with Window $339
Intel Core i7 3570K $239
Asrock Z77-EXTREME6 Z77 $189
G SKill 8G(2x4G)DDR3 1866Mhz PC3-14900(GS-F3-1866C9D-8GAB) $69
Crucial RealSSD C400 128G SATA3 M4 Series $149
Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache $119
Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA (SH-S223C-BL) $19
Corsair HX-750 ATX Power Supply $186
6 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan 1850rpm $114
EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW PCIe SLI $1058
NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller $49
XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit $179
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing Clear 7/16ID 5/8OD $18
Koolance SHR-1020BK 3x120mm Fan Radiator Shroud $39
Asus VE247H 23.6"Wide 2ms D-Sub DVI-D HDMI $169
$2935

I chose the RX360 Kit is because of the price it was at and the cooling potentials of it. I did read that maintenance is hyped up over Watercooling since parts have advanced so much now. Any more thoughts that needs to be changed to the build list?
July 12, 2012 4:12:30 AM

Where are you buying these $529 670's?

Nevermind.
July 12, 2012 4:23:45 AM

NV1D14LYF3 said:
So I reviewed everything and I believe that I came up with a pretty good list.

Corsair Obsidian 800D Black Full Tower Case with Window $339
Intel Core i7 3570K $239
Asrock Z77-EXTREME6 Z77 $189
G SKill 8G(2x4G)DDR3 1866Mhz PC3-14900(GS-F3-1866C9D-8GAB) $69
Crucial RealSSD C400 128G SATA3 M4 Series $149
Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache $119
Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA (SH-S223C-BL) $19
Corsair HX-750 ATX Power Supply $186
6 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan 1850rpm $114
EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW PCIe SLI $1058
NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller $49
XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit $179
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing Clear 7/16ID 5/8OD $18
Koolance SHR-1020BK 3x120mm Fan Radiator Shroud $39
Asus VE247H 23.6"Wide 2ms D-Sub DVI-D HDMI $169
$2935

I chose the RX360 Kit is because of the price it was at and the cooling potentials of it. I did read that maintenance is hyped up over Watercooling since parts have advanced so much now. Any more thoughts that needs to be changed to the build list?

Looks good to me. :) 
July 12, 2012 7:30:26 PM

NV1D14LYF3 said:
So I reviewed everything and I believe that I came up with a pretty good list.

Corsair Obsidian 800D Black Full Tower Case with Window $339
Intel Core i7 3570K $239
Asrock Z77-EXTREME6 Z77 $189
G SKill 8G(2x4G)DDR3 1866Mhz PC3-14900(GS-F3-1866C9D-8GAB) $69
Crucial RealSSD C400 128G SATA3 M4 Series $149
Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache $119
Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA (SH-S223C-BL) $19
Corsair HX-750 ATX Power Supply $186
6 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan 1850rpm $114
EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW PCIe SLI $1058
NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller $49
XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit $179
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing Clear 7/16ID 5/8OD $18
Koolance SHR-1020BK 3x120mm Fan Radiator Shroud $39
Asus VE247H 23.6"Wide 2ms D-Sub DVI-D HDMI $169
$2935

I chose the RX360 Kit is because of the price it was at and the cooling potentials of it. I did read that maintenance is hyped up over Watercooling since parts have advanced so much now. Any more thoughts that needs to be changed to the build list?


You won't need 1866 RAM - that's a bit of a waste. I'm not the biggest fan of liquid cooling but if you want to use it I won't stop you. If you are, an NZXT Switch 810 will provide room for bigger radiators than the Corsair 800D will for 1/2 the cost.
July 12, 2012 7:34:41 PM

NV1D14LYF3 said:
So I reviewed everything and I believe that I came up with a pretty good list.

Corsair Obsidian 800D Black Full Tower Case with Window $339
Intel Core i7 3570K $239
Asrock Z77-EXTREME6 Z77 $189
G SKill 8G(2x4G)DDR3 1866Mhz PC3-14900(GS-F3-1866C9D-8GAB) $69
Crucial RealSSD C400 128G SATA3 M4 Series $149
Seagate SATA3 2TB 7200RPM Barracuda 64mb Cache $119
Samsung 22X DVDRW Black SATA (SH-S223C-BL) $19
Corsair HX-750 ATX Power Supply $186
6 Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm Fan 1850rpm $114
EVGA GTX670 2GB FTW PCIe SLI $1058
NZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller $49
XSPC Rasa 750 RX360 Universal CPU Water Cooling Kit $179
PrimoChill PrimoFlex Pro LRT Tubing Clear 7/16ID 5/8OD $18
Koolance SHR-1020BK 3x120mm Fan Radiator Shroud $39
Asus VE247H 23.6"Wide 2ms D-Sub DVI-D HDMI $169
$2935

I chose the RX360 Kit is because of the price it was at and the cooling potentials of it. I did read that maintenance is hyped up over Watercooling since parts have advanced so much now. Any more thoughts that needs to be changed to the build list?

Oh, by the way, where are you getting your rx360? I can't find any rx240s or rs240s anywhere. :( 
July 13, 2012 12:33:02 AM

Quote:
If you are, an NZXT Switch 810 will provide room for bigger radiators than the Corsair 800D will for 1/2 the cost.

I find that case a bit tacky so I am going with aesthetics over functionality over this one.

Quote:
Oh, by the way, where are you getting your rx360? I can't find any rx240s or rs240s anywhere. :( 

Well if you are in Australia, you can pick up a Rasa kit from PCCaseGear.com
July 13, 2012 12:34:11 AM

Best answer selected by NV1D14LYF3.
July 13, 2012 3:15:33 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
!